The Spooky Spiketacular Extravaganza!

Voidus

Well, in the current situation there's a good chance of Hellbent falling backwards down the stairs, so if he falls wrong we could have our first casualty before the whole thing even starts.

Who would have dibs of his Shardblade, Lisa or Lizanne? Since Lizanne would have caused him to fall, but Lisa (accidentally) tripped him up.

1 minute ago, kenod said:

Who would have dibs of his Shardblade, Lisa or Lizanne? Since Lizanne would have caused him to fall, but Lisa (accidentally) tripped him up.

You can have it. I'll wait for Ark, so that we know what happens to his char.

Hellbent began falling backwards. He started the summoning of his shardblade on instinct, kicking out towards Lizanne's stomach at high speeds as he fell, his massive leg flying towards her stomach like a battering ram. As it flew, he swung his arms out wide, trying to grab something, anything.

@Sorana @kenod

6 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

Hellbent began falling backwards. He started the summoning of his shardblade on instinct, kicking out towards Lizanne's stomach at high speeds as he fell, his massive leg flying towards her stomach like a battering ram. As it flew, he swung his arms out wide, trying to grab something, anything.

@Sorana @kenod

Can we try to avoid casualties before leaving on the expedition?

10 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

@Sorana @kenod

Uhhhh...

Lizanne gasped when the mans foot hit her square in the stomach. She screamed in pain and collapsed on the stairs, whimpering quietly.

Edited by Sorana

35 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Lizanne gasped when the mans foot hit her square in the stomach. She screamed in pain and collapsed on the stairs, whimpering quietly.

Wilhelm perked up at the sound of something.  A little rumble, and some falling. And then the feeble sound of someone whimpering. He crept forward. Weakest prey were always easier. He stepped to the foot of the stairs and saw with great disappointment it was the skinny lady. He frowned. Then the frown turned surprised.

What was he thinking? Do just eat someone? No! He had gotten over that, and now he would relapse just because he had the opportunity. The starkness of his thoughts, how clearly he was thinking he’d eat disturbed him greatly. The only reason he hadn’t let himself go was simply because the one who fell wouldn’t have been a great meal anyway. And that scared him.

“Come on, get up,” he said to the woman, crouching down, but not offering a hand. “If you stay down they’ll think you’re weak. Easy prey.”

Renata watched as the shardbearer tumbled backwards. Lizanne cried out somewhere further up the stairs, and the odd fellow in all the coats ducked over her.

That's it, she thought walking a little closer. "What are you four doing?" she hissed, looking up the staircase. She could've sworn she heard Nitinyas' voice floating down from the upper levels. What would he do if he found four of his guests trying to sneak up the stairs?

@I think I am here. @Sorana @kenod @Ark1002

7 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“Come on, get up,” he said to the woman, crouching down, but not offering a hand. “If you stay down they’ll think you’re weak. Easy prey.”

Lizanne looked at him for a moment, moving slightly away from him. He scared her. But his words, they sparked something and she got back to her feet, groaning in pain. Hopefully he hadn't broken anything.

"I wanted to see if I can get a look at his laboratory. Or do you trust this fellow? Who knows what he needs us for, we aren't exactly the perfect team for an expedition."

She said to the other woman, Renata, of she remembered correctly.

@ZincAboutIt

@kenod

@Ark1002

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

“I wanted to see if I can get a look at his laboratory. Or do you trust this fellow? Who knows what he needs us for, we aren't exactly the perfect team for an expedition.”

“We could be the Vütenhaller,” Wilhelm said, using a South Scadrian word. It didn’t seem to translate.

“Uh, it means the rat you set free on the ice, to see if it is thin. And if it is, the rat falls.” He brought a hand up and lightly touched his eyepatch.

16 minutes ago, Silva said:

“More often than not the rat dies," she said. "Probably not the best comparison to make."

Wilhelm looked up at the posh lady. With the fancy clothes and posture.

“Well, if the ice is thick, the rat survives,” he said. “And the doctor seemed very confident in that fact.”

Besides, even if it died, the rat always made a good... meal? Why would he think that? He swallowed. He needed to get rid of these thoughts.

"I think that comparison fits us well."

Lizanne leaned against the handrail, taking careful, shallow breaths.

"Look at us."

She made a sweeping gesture through the room.

"We have the agressive one, a scary guy, a scholar, a cripple, a lady, another scholar and the two clowns over there. Who would logically hire a bunch like us for an expedition, into a ... whatever it was."

She looked to Lisa, smiled apologetically.

"That realm where the mind is?"

Lisa nodded along. "Like canaries in a coal mine." She shuddered a bit at the thought.

"I don't think so," she answered to Lizanne. "It's how we get there, but from what I've gathered the Cognitive realm is fairly well explored, so there's no real reason for us to go there. That doctor talked about a location inside the realm though, that leads to another place. My guess is that we'll be exploring the world at that location."

"Which, of course," she continued, "raises a few interesting questions. First, how dangerous is it, and second, are we even capable of still backing out?" She fell silent for a bit. "My guess on the second question," she continued in a more quit tone, "is probably no."

Renata crossed her arms in front of her chest, feeling her pulse quicken a little. The others had a point, and she agreed with the brown-haired ardent woman. I doubt there's any getting out of this.

"I don't trust this doctor fellow," she answered quietly, stepping closer to the others at the foot of the stairs, "and that's precisely why I'm not eager to anger him by sneaking around his house. Besides, how likely is it that we'll find any kind of real answers here? If he's sending us traipsing around Shadesmar, the sorts of things we'll be finding aren't the kind you can keep upstairs in your mansion."

Lizanne shrugged.

"Small? But right now we know almost nothing. Whatever we find up there is a piece as to who he is, what he plans. Every single bit can help us."

Grimacing she looked up to the door, wondered what she had gotten herself into.

Lisa walked up to Lizanne. "Hey, how's your stomach?" She whispered in a concerned tone. "If it keeps hurting, or if you get large bruises around your navel, or if you start to feel lightheaded, come to me immediately. There's a good chance that you have internal bleeding in that case, and if so, you might need medical attention."

Hellbent-Son-Palm reaches the bottom, having managed to stop his fall. Hellbent's face becomes dark, and his shardblade drops into his hand.

He doesn't get rid of it.

His muscles ripple across his back, scars put in sharp contrast with the tanned skin. His face is a dark mask, looking ready for a kill. He a deep growl builds in his throat, and puts his foot on the step.

Step by step, he approaches Lizanne. A violet bruise has started to spread across his chest, and a trickle of blood comes from the center.

Suddenly, he sprints, taking a leaping jump, stabbing his shardblade towards Lizanne...

But he changes the course, at the last moment, pushing it deeply into the steel directly next to her.

"Give me a reason." His face is dark. "I shouldn't split your skull open."

@Sorana

"Blood is awfully hard to clean out of fabric," Aderet said, not thinking. Her brain was working on double speed. What were other reasons why shouldn't he kill the other woman? He obviously wouldn't care about a simple stain. "And from carpets. And from wood. Near impossible. As well, murder ranks number two on the master list of things to never do to someone you're supposed to be allied with." Spouting textbooks. That was a new low.

Come on Aderet. Someone might die. Death. Right.

She took a deep breath, regaining her composure. "We are headed to an unknown land. It isn't mapped. It isn't on any charts. We are going to be alone. We are going to be in danger. We might be already." Aderet thought back to her lessons on diplomacy. "None of us know what's there.  None of us know what abilities will be useful. Likely, we are all going to wind up..." Dead. She trailed off. 

"What I mean to say is, why hurry along the fate that is going to happen anyways?"

Not her best work. Not by a long shot. Something about the setting was messing with her. She never was so pessimistic. It was unsettling. Aderet took a small step back, letting her own words sink fully into herself as well. 

Lisa swallowed. "Ehm, you did try to scare her while both of you were climbing narrow stairs," she said nervously. "I mean, the standard reaction to getting scared is to turn around and try to get away or attack the person scaring you. I mean, trying to scare someone is one thing, but scaring someone while climbing stairs is really dangerous."