The Spooky Spiketacular Extravaganza!

Voidus

Renata flinched as Hellbent-son-Palm took her hand, kissing it. The feeling of skin on skin sent a spike of panic through her. She tugged her hand out of his grasp as soon as she could, not really caring how impolite it was.

This isn't Jah Keved, she reminded herself. You're the same rank here - you don't need to bow and scrape just because he has a Shardblade.

"I don't like being tied to one place," Renata said, letting some ice creep into her voice. "Life is much simpler when you're on your own. But this expedition was too good of an opportunity to pass up."

She sipped the last of her yellow wine, then slipped one of the little pastries out of her pocket, taking a bite. "Who wouldn't want to explore a whole new world?"

@Element of Chaos

Edited by ZincAboutIt

Renata breathed out slowly as she watched the man move away towards a servant carrying a platter of food.

Wonderful, she thought, an entire expedition stuck with this cad.

She tugged at the ends of her hair absently, then wove her way through the group of people until she was at the opposite end of the room. Another servant walked by, carrying small flatbreads piled with cream and fish. She grabbed one and stuffed it into her mouth, more to have something to do than any real hunger. Her fingers itched to lift up the left sleeve of her tunic, to read the name. Her name. She resisted, instead taking a closer look at the rest of the guests. None of them seemed particularly experienced in travel, which set her on edge. One of the people, a young woman in robes designed with overlapping v-shapes, couldn't have been older than sixteen.

What kind of expeditionary force is this? She felt like one of the more experienced travelers here, which was disturbing as she'd spent the last year running messages through the Alleycity, not learning how to survive in a foreign world. Perhaps this doctor fellow would bring some specialized explorers along when he arrived.

19 hours ago, Silva said:

Was that....an eyepatch she saw? The creep she'd spotted on the way here had at least not been missing any part of him.

Aderet quickly broke eye contact, trying to pretend she hadn't noticed him. Harmony forbid, he might take something as an invitation to try and talk to her. 

The lady looked away, and Wilhelm stepped back, covering himself again with his coat. Was anything showing? He didn’t look that bad, did he?

So he stuck to his own devices, wandering to where food was being served, and forced himself to eat a piece of fruit. It was healthy. He needed it.

Renata started a bit, looking to the side to see one of the younger girls, Arun, standing next to her. There was a wholesome exuberance about her that was both irritating and charming.

"Hello," Renata said. "You're Arun, right?" She peered at the girl a little closer. "Aren't you a bit young to be signing on for an expedition like this?

@Blessing of Potency 

On 3/24/2019 at 3:24 AM, Sorana said:

Lizanne nodded. A physicist, whatever that was. It sounded threatening, so she  nodded a second time. Maybe it was some kind of code? Pondering she looked the woman over a second time.

"I'm Lizanne."

She told her, as she didn't think she had been when she had introduced herself. After a short pause she added, mostly because that was what you did.

"Nice to meet you."

Lisa hesitated when the woman introduced herself for the second time. Deciding that it might be a local thing, she deciding to introduce herself again as well.
"I'm Lisa," she said. "Nice to meet you too." She thought for a bit, and decided a bit of small-talk might be polite. "Why did you join the expedition, actually?" She asked.

8 minutes ago, kenod said:

Lisa hesitated when the woman introduced herself for the second time. Deciding that it might be a local thing, she deciding to introduce herself again as well.
"I'm Lisa," she said. "Nice to meet you too." She thought for a bit, and decided a bit of small-talk might be polite. "Why did you join the expedition, actually?" She asked.

Lizanne paused when the woman introduced herself a second time as well and then laughed. The situation was hillarious, frightening but hillarious.

"Sorry, I wasn't sure, if you were here, when I adressed the room."

She explained and then turned earnest. No need to lie when it came to her reasons.

"Free food. Hopefully some money. It's hard to find a job around here, without any kind of education, and with a leg like mine."

Looking at the food she chose something she didn't try yet and pocketed some. You never knew.

"And you?"

3 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Lizanne paused when the woman introduced herself a second time as well and then laughed. The situation was hillarious, frightening but hillarious.

"Sorry, I wasn't sure, if you were here, when I adressed the room."

She explained and then turned earnest. No need to lie when it came to her reasons.

"Free food. Hopefully some money. It's hard to find a job around here, without any kind of education, and with a leg like mine."

Looking at the food she chose something she didn't try yet and pocketed some. You never knew.

"And you?"

She actually had also introduced herself immediately after Lisa had introduced herself for the first time.

Lisa looked a bit hesitant at the question. That might not have been the best starter, she thought. She sighed. "Actually, I'm hoping it might teach me something about traveling between worlds," she said. "I actually came here by accident, and apparently people didn't know about the world I came from, so I'm kind of stuck here. The fact that my world didn't have any weird things like magic probably also didn't help either."

9 minutes ago, kenod said:

Lisa looked a bit hesitant at the question. That might not have been the best starter, she thought. She sighed. "Actually, I'm hoping it might teach me something about traveling between worlds," she said. "I actually came here by accident, and apparently people didn't know about the world I came from, so I'm kind of stuck here. The fact that my world didn't have any weird things like magic probably also didn't help either."

"I'm from a different world as well. But I fled, and now I'm stuck here. Well, it's better than before."

She smiled hesitantly.

"Maybe we can find a way for you to get home."

She offered.

6 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"I'm from a different world as well. But I fled, and now I'm stuck here. Well, it's better than before."

She smiled hesitantly.

"Maybe we can find a way for you to get home."

She offered.

Lisa smiled a bit. "Maybe," she said. "Though I have to admit this one is interesting as well, especially studying how magic works." She paused for a bit. "That's at the moments this place isn't terrifying of course."

She let out a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding when she saw him turn away in the corner of her eye. Standing up, Aderet felt her left sleeve fall comfortably below her hand, covered and tucked away modestly like always. Not that she herself had ever considered showing her left hand scandalous, being a Scadrian woman. But that’s what Olna had taught her and she had never been one to protest.

Aderet ran a hand over her hair. A pin had come loose. She fixed it back in place carefully, taking care not to knock any of the others securing the blonde knot.

Something about the place felt off. Every moment she got the feeling more and more that this venture wasn’t going to be beneficial for the family business. If anything, the vibe she was getting gave off was that of the opposite. It was unnerving.

She began to walk around the room, worrying more about that than paying attention to her surroundings.

Timothy would never have ended up in a place like this. she thought bitterly. Father would never dare risk his reputation like this. If word got out that she’d been spotted there it wouldn’t be good.

Her left hand clutched the pouch holding vials of cadmium. Aderet’s fingers twisted around it, reaching for the opening. Maybe burn away some time to be done with this sooner.

And just like that she did something she never did accidentally and walked into someone. A tall someone at that. She took a step back.

“Sorry,” she said, looking up at the man. “I ought to have been keeping a closer eye on where I was walking.”

@Element of Chaos

37 minutes ago, kenod said:

Lisa smiled a bit. "Maybe," she said. "Though I have to admit this one is interesting as well, especially studying how magic works." She paused for a bit. "That's at the moments this place isn't terrifying of course."

Lizanne nodded.

"Magic."

She said softly.

"Sometimes I envy those able to use it. I could defend myself better, stop those hunting me. But I can't so it's running away, until they can't find me anymore. Maybe the expedition will help with that as well."