The Spooky Spiketacular Extravaganza!

Voidus

1 minute ago, Blessing of Potency said:

“Alright.” She says, “give me a second.” Arun slowly raises herself to her feet using the wall and the piece of the wood from earlier. She walks over to the fire then lowers herself down again.

Lizanne handed her a bottle of wine.

"You should drink. We need to clean the wound, maybe sew it shut. It will hurt and we have no painkillers available."

She smiled a thin smile.

"The wine will help."

Is anyone still down in the cellar?

Renata descended back into the darkness of the cellar, her little bag of spheres casting a bubble of slight illumination around her. It was quiet here; the sound of her boots crunching  shards of glass felt too loud in these small confines. She sighed and ran a hand through her hair, then reached for one of the bottles of alcohol. As she fit one, then two, into the crook of her arm, she began to hum softly.

Renata worked efficiently, and had four bottles neatly stacked against her chest before she realized she was shaking. A soft little pat-pit-pat fell against one of the glass bottles.

Tears. Renata blinked suddenly, feeling the wetness on her face. Still clutching the bottles, she sat with her back against the cold stone wall. The image of Doctor Nitinyas's face was burned into her mind, eyes wide with horror. She'd never seen such an expression of absolute fear and shock.

Yes you have, her memory whispered. When you killed your mother.

"No," Renata said through gritted teeth. "No. Not my mother. Not mine." Her right hand went to her left sleeve, but couldn't reach it - she was holding too many bottles.

Pull it together, Renata, she told herself, squeezing her eyes shut against the tears and drawing in a long, shaky breath. Get up. She stood slowly, then climbed up the stairs back into the night. The misty air cooled the tears on her face as she walked back toward the fire and stood the bottles on the floor. Then, she sat and pulled up her left sleeve.

She read the word, breathing deeply. Renata. My name is Renata. Then, wordlessly, she took the bottle of white from Arun and drank a long pull before handing it back. 

"You had better get drunk before I do," she said to Arun. "Otherwise your stitches may not be as even as you'd like."

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"You had better get drunk before I do," she said to Arun. "Otherwise your stitches may not be as even as you'd like."

Given that we still need to sterilize the tools and clean the wound, I think it might be better to have someone else do the sewing (though sewing the wound is probably a bad idea anyway).

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

Given that we still need to sterilize the tools and clean the wound, I think it might be better to have someone else do the sewing (though sewing the wound is probably a bad idea anyway).

This is wise advice. :P Renata will probably sit and stare at nothing for a while, so feel free to take over medical duties. She is kind of broken, and she's been hiding it well for a while but I figure if anything is going to cause her to have a small breakdown it's probably seeing a bunch of terrified dead people.

A pan is enough.

Lise looked through the wreckage, finding a smaller, damaged pan. She examined it, and after seeing that it didn't have any holes in it, took it back to the rest of the group.

"Hey," she said. "I found the pan. Does anyone have something to catch the evaporating alcohol?"

Going over first-aid websites on the side, and wow, we're doing a lot wrong.

Also, cleaning wounds with alcohol can actually slow the healing apparently, and will hurt a lot. So good luck to Arun...

Edit: Alcohol will stop infection though, and even non-pure alcohol like that wine Renata is drinking should work for cleaning it. It's just that other methods work better.

Edited by kenod

9 minutes ago, kenod said:

Lise looked through the wreckage, finding a smaller, damaged pan. She examined it, and after seeing that it didn't have any holes in it, took it back to the rest of the group.

"Hey," she said. "I found the pan. Does anyone have something to catch the evaporating alcohol?"

Lizanne handed her her bowl.

"I'd like to see it again."

Then she softly touched Renata's arm.

"Do you want to talk?"

She offered quietly.

45 minutes ago, kenod said:

Lisa took the bowl. "Thanks," she said. She started looking around for some tarp or metal that could catch the evaporating alcohol.

"Do you plan to do what Wilhelm does?"

Lizanne asked.

"He tries to get water out of the wine."

"And in general, we will need to mount a watch. Anybody got a clock so that we can devide the night evenly?"

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

Then she softly touched Renata's arm.

"Do you want to talk?"

She offered quietly.

Renata flinched slightly at Lizanne's touch, then forced herself to relax.

"What is there to talk about?" she said flatly, tugging her left sleeve back down. "I'm sure life's been no kinder to you than it has to me." She stood, sighing. "I'll take the first watch with someone. There won't be much sleep for me in this place." 

Edited by ZincAboutIt
Better word choice.

"Sort of," Lisa replied. "I want to get the alcohol out of the wine." She thought for a bit. "Actually, I wonder if it's even necessary. I mean, given the amount of alcohol in this wine it probably won't have any germs in it anyway." She massaged her temples. "Ugh, if only I knew which was better."

Quick note, Wilhelm's method doesn't actually work. Alcohol has a lower evaporation point, so you'll be collecting the alcohol first, so the only way you can do it is if you know the temperature of the wine and first get rid of the alcohol by keeping the temperature around 70C and then cook it to start evaporating the water.

28 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

Hellbent looked back at the group, holding his shardblade wardlingly out towards the night. "Will the injured be fit to walk by morning?"

He paused. "Again, I can carry them if not."

"They'll have to be," Renata said, staring out past what was left of the front wall and into the misty darkness. "This place will attract scavengers soon. Too many dead..."

A sudden thought skittered through her mind. She grimaced, but set her teeth.

"Someone come help me. We need to see what the dead had on them. Knives, pins, shoes." Renata stared pointedly at Wilhelm's rag-like makeshift boots. "They don't need them anymore - we might."

Renata nodded, holding her pouch of spheres aloft to cast some light. With her other hand, she held her boot knife.

"We shouldn't stray too far out of the area," she said. "Just look for whatever is at hand. Don't try and shift too much rubble."

She bent down toward the nearest corpse, whose face was blessedly hidden beneath some bricks. A quick rifle through his pockets brought out a few coins and a pen, which she pocketed.

"Help me get his shoes off," Renata said to Lizanne. "These look like they might fit Wilhelm." She did her best not to look at the dark, wet stain that had seeped out from beneath the rubble into what remained of the fine carpet.

@Sorana

17 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Help me get his shoes off," Renata said to Lizanne. "These look like they might fit Wilhelm." She did her best not to look at the dark, wet stain that had seeped out from beneath the rubble into what remained of the fine carpet.

Lizanne noticed her looking away from the blood and then took the sphere.

"Stand watch, I can do this."

She pulled of the shoes and then patted down the corpse, searched for hidden pockets, a belt knife, food or money. Expertly she stripped the man of his shirt and trousers as well. The shirt had a hole and was bloody, but apart from that it was a good shirt.

What can we find?

If nothing disturbs them Lizanne will search every corpse, including their host.

@Voidus

8 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Lizanne noticed her looking away from the blood and then took the sphere.

"Stand watch, I can do this."

She pulled of the shoes and then patted down the corpse, searched for hidden pockets, a belt knife, food or money. Expertly she stripped the man of his shirt and trousers as well. The shirt had a hole and was bloody, but apart from that it was a good shirt.

@Voidus

Renata stood and did as Lizanne asked, caught somewhere between admiring the woman's iron practicality and being disturbed by it instead.

"Thanks," she said, then reached down for the shoes and clothing. "I can carry these, if you like."

9 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Thanks," she said, then reached down for the shoes and clothing. "I can carry these, if you like."

"Gladly."

Lizanne handed her the findings and walked over to the next corpse. A woman. Her skirt would be perfect for some bandages and her socks looked warm. The shoes were impractical slippers, but she had a hairband, which Lizanne pocketed for herself. It was bloody, a grey substance smeared over it, but it seemed to be intact.

"Her tunic should fit you. It's bloody, but there are no holes."

Supplies found:
63 Chrysts, a handful of infused spheres, about 45 clips.
A cracked monocle, bottle of cologne (intact), 4 handkerchiefs, 2 cleaning rags, one bottle of antibacterial handwash (Almost empty), 1 fine dagger, a small journal (Nitinyas'), one unlabelled bottle of pills in the pocket of the doorman, One flask of unidentified but very alcoholic liquid, a pack of matches, a small hand mirror, one squished scone, and a handful of personal effects (lockets, pocket watches, photos of family and loved ones, etc.)

4 sets of shoes (1 fine pair of boots, a set of lace up shoes, 2 sets of flats), same number of socks, most of the other clothing is too bloody or damaged to be of use but could be cut up into rags pretty easily if needed.

As they neared Nitinyas' body, a small disturbance in the air catches Lizanne's attention as a solitary bloodshot eye the size of a basketball seems to push itself into reality, directly over the top of where the glowing glass sphere was previously broken. The eye darts around, pausing on each of the living creatures nearby and then stopping for another second on Lizanne herself before it blinks and vanishes from sight.

No one else seems to notice this strange disturbance.