The Spooky Spiketacular Extravaganza!

Voidus

4 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"Bring it upstairs. I'm on my way to light a fire. And I can always use another hand."

Lizanne told him and then continued to climb the stairs.

She started to build a small fire place, moved some rocks, to create a sheltered spot for the fire. Collecting small pieces of wood and some filling from a former stool she sat down and made a small fire.

Wilhelm nodded and went upstairs. He saw the fire the woman had made, noting how quick she had made it. She could be useful, Wilhelm decided. Holding the open wine bottle over the fire he tried to arrange some sticks to hold it in place.

“It will turn into gas, the wine,” Wilhelm said, making some vague hand gestures. “And then, we shall put something cold over the gas, like metal.” Taking out one of his knives he held it over the wine. The wine hadn’t begun to boil yet so it was pointless. “And when the gas touches the metal it becomes water. Isn’t it magic?” He said with his accent.

23 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Wilhelm nodded and went upstairs. He saw the fire the woman had made, noting how quick she had made it. She could be useful, Wilhelm decided. Holding the open wine bottle over the fire he tried to arrange some sticks to hold it in place.

“It will turn into gas, the wine,” Wilhelm said, making some vague hand gestures. “And then, we shall put something cold over the gas, like metal.” Taking out one of his knives he held it over the wine. The wine hadn’t begun to boil yet so it was pointless. “And when the gas touches the metal it becomes water. Isn’t it magic?” He said with his accent.

Interested Lizanne observed him, then fetched something they could use as a kind of cup and handed it to him.

"For the water."

With a groan she sat back down and massaged her leg, the cramping muscles.

"Did you see some coal, or a heart when we were still in the building? I need this fire to get as hot as we can manage. Some metal is lying around, but it's useless if it doesn't end up hot."

Lisa looked around in the debris, and took a longer piece of wood. After seeing that it was sturdy enough she went upstairs, and sat down near to where Wilhelm and Lizanne were working. Taking a small pocket-knife from her coat she started trying to sharpen the point.

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

"Did you see some coal, or a heart when we were still in the building? I need this fire to get as hot as we can manage. Some metal is lying around, but it's useless if it doesn't end up hot."

“No,”

Wilhelm shook his head, then tilted his head to the side. “Would alcohol make the fire larger?”

18 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“No,”

Wilhelm shook his head, then tilted his head to the side. “Would alcohol make the fire larger?”

Lisa looked to the side. "Alcohol would make the fire larger," she said, "but it'll only last for about ten seconds before it is all burned up, and while it is burning the fire will be way too large. It's better to start with a small fire and simply slowly increase the size of the wood you put on it. Use small bits of dry wood first, and once that is burning add larger pieces around it, while making sure that air can flow through everything easily." She paused. "But why do you need the fire anyway?" She asked.

Renata walked up the stairs with her sphere lantern, clutching a bottle of white liquor and a long thin piece of metal.

”We need to burn Arun’s wound clean,” she replied to Lisa after hearing her question. “It’s too risky to leave it without proper medicine or stitching. She could die.” @kenod

"And the fire needs to be hot enough to heat the metal up."

Lizanne added.

===========

We decided to spend the night in the cellar. Right now we try to get some water out of the wine by heating it. (On a side note with some herbs and tools we could start destilling gin.) There also are some apples and some cheese.

Lizanne and Renata decided to burn out your leg wound to stop infection as we have no medical supplies. Your character doesn't know that yet.

The group is gathering at the cellar entrance around a fire, Lisa is building an improvised spear.

@Blessing of Potency

Edited by Sorana

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

Cauterization? Lisa shuddered at the thought. "Is it bleeding that badly?" She asked. "What are you using to burn it shut?"

Renata tapped her fingers on the glass of the bottle anxiously. "It's not the blood I'm worried about. It's a deep wound, and it could fester easily. I could try and clean it with this," she lifted the bottle of white, "and maybe stitch it, if burning isn't the best idea. What do they do where you're from, for something like this?"

Lisa thought, trying hard to remember the few medical lectures and EHBO courses she had attended at the university. "First disinfect the wound, alcohol works, though I'd suggest not using wine, but distilling the alcohol from it first, since it's purer. Clean it with boiled water as well. If you have any cloth for bandages you should put them in the boiling water as well to sterilize them. After cleaning and disinfecting the wound make sure it's shut, and that it isn't bleeding, or at least not bleeding heavily. After that, bandage the wound, change bandages every twelve hours, and make sure the wound isn't getting infected. Cauterization should only be used as an absolute last resort to stop heavy bleeding."

She paused for a bit. "Also, make sure everything you use has been boiled first, and that you wash your hands before touching anything, healing a cut isn't that difficult I think, the issue is stopping infections, which means keeping everything clean and sterilized. It would be great if we had antibiotics as well, but I haven't seen anything looking like medicine in these ruins."

Internally she shuddered, hoping she had gotten everything right.

Also, quick note, don't take anything I write about wound treatment as the right method. I'm not qualified or anything, I'm just going by memory. Though on that note, from what I remember (and can find online) cauterization doesn't do anything against infection, all you're doing is adding a burn wound on top of a cut, while also destroying healthy tissue. Cauterization actually increases the chance of infection.

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

Also, quick note, don't take anything I write about wound treatment as the right method. I'm not qualified or anything, I'm just going by memory. Though on that note, from what I remember (and can find online) cauterization doesn't do anything against infection, all you're doing is adding a burn wound on top of a cut, while also destroying healthy tissue. Cauterization actually increases the chance of infection.

Good to know. All Renata knows is what she's seen in basic emergency field medicine a few times back on Roshar, so she's guessing here. Also, what she thinks of as "white" wine is basically unflavored grain alcohol, though that probably does still need some purification.

Change bandages every twelve hours? Boil everything? Antibiotics? Renata looked at Lisa incredulously.

"We might be able to get her wound cleaned up and stitched, but I only have so much clean bandage. Unless you want to stay here and change her wound dressings every twelve hours, we'll need to make do with what we have."

Renata sat down at the fire and took a long drink of the burning white liquor, hissing as it stung the back of her throat. She sighed, wiping her mouth and speaking low. 

"We need to leave here in the morning," she said, watching the flames dance. "Everyone in this house died with the same look on their face - whether or not they were crushed by stone, or..." Renata looked over her shoulder at the limp, shadowed form of the Doctor impaled on the metal beam. She shuddered, looking away again.

"The point is, whatever they saw scared them worse than a storming house falling to bits around them. I don't want to be here if it returns."

When it returns, she thought darkly, then took another drink.

Wordlessly Lizanne reached out for the bottle and drank as well. She grimaced when the alcohol ran down her throat, then handed the bottle back.

"We could boil some of the curtains and rip them into stripes to use as bandages."

She suggested, then looked at Hellbent.

"Thank you for the offer. I hope it won't be neccessary though."

Lizanne has no plan about medicine, she goes along with what sounds logical.

And don't take anything I write as medical advice. Neither here nor with Amara ;)

36 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Change bandages every twelve hours? Boil everything? Antibiotics? Renata looked at Lisa incredulously.

"We might be able to get her wound cleaned up and stitched, but I only have so much clean bandage. Unless you want to stay here and change her wound dressings every twelve hours, we'll need to make do with what we have."

Renata sat down at the fire and took a long drink of the burning white liquor, hissing as it stung the back of her throat. She sighed, wiping her mouth and speaking low. 

"We need to leave here in the morning," she said, watching the flames dance. "Everyone in this house died with the same look on their face - whether or not they were crushed by stone, or..." Renata looked over her shoulder at the limp, shadowed form of the Doctor impaled on the metal beam. She shuddered, looking away again.

"The point is, whatever they saw scared them worse than a storming house falling to bits around them. I don't want to be here if it returns."

When it returns, she thought darkly, then took another drink.

7 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Wordlessly Lizanne reached out for the bottle and drank as well. She grimaced when the alcohol ran down her throat, then handed the bottle back.

"We could boil some of the curtains and rip them into stripes to use as bandages."

She suggested, then looked at Hellbent.

"Thank you for the offer. I hope it won't be neccessary though."

Lisa shuddered. "I hadn't seen the faces," she said. "Yes, we should probably leave as soon as possible. But changing bandages shouldn't take that much time, we can just do it every morning and evening when we break or make up camp. If we run out of bandages we can just clean the old ones. Besides, the main thing is making sure the wound stays closed and that it stays clean. We'll need to take time to boil water anyway, if we want to prevent dysentery at least."

She looked at Lizanne. "Using the curtains is a good idea," she said. "It would be a good idea to safe some of them though, and use them to make rope and a stretcher. Carrying her by hand will be difficult while also increasing the chance of making the wound worse."

She looked at Hellbent. "If possible it might be better if you don't carry her," she said. "You're the only one with an actual weapon, if something happens then you won't be able to use it without dropping her."

She stood up. "Anyway, talking about this won't help that much, we should get started getting everything ready. I think it's probably best to start by separating the alcohol from the wine, so we can clean the wound and sterilize everything.

1 minute ago, kenod said:

"Anyway, talking about this won't help that much, we should get started getting everything ready. I think it's probably best to start by separating the alcohol from the wine, so we can clean the wound and sterilize everything.

Renata nodded, standing up. "There's more of this in the cellar - I'll go get some. You go find some curtains," she pointed at Lisa. "I have a needle and gut in my pack. You may want to start Arun on some wine - I've nothing to numb the pain of the needle, I'm afraid."

"She could sit here with Wilhelm and me, look after the fire."

"Then she's not alone and I can drink with her. Or at least watch her drink."

Lizanne offered and returend to massaging her leg. It hurt, a lot, but she'd never tell them.