The Spooky Spiketacular Extravaganza!

Voidus

12 hours ago, Sorana said:

"What's your story?"

She asked, while moving closer to the wall. She didn't trust the ceiling, but if it broke, the chances were higher that it would break in the middle of the room.

I ate people, a voice whispered in him.

“Outcasted. Where I come from it is hard to survive without belonging anywhere. So I left for elsewhere.” He looked around. “Wasn’t expecting quite the greeting though.”

With the shard of glass in his pocket, Jack walked around the building, coming up to the others, just in time to hear the clown yell, "This guy was a CANNIBAL". That changed things. He let a shocked expression come to his face, but he had a very different thought process running through his head. A cannibal eh? That was good. Anything he stole from now on could be blamed on him. A scapegoat. He would need to befriend him, defend him, keep him alive while he benefited. And gaining trust had other benefits. It was far easier to convince someone to go out alone with you when they thought you were a friend. The scar in his back illustrated that example perfectly. 

"How you know? I don't know about you, but I haven't seen anyone eat anybody else, including this man here."

@Gancho Libre

Lizanne fell silent, a cannibal. That explained his talk of prey, the way he had looked at her. She felt sick, but her eyes followed the woman who had told them about it, then over to Hellbent, to the others. An outcast he named himself. Lizanne stayed where she was, waited to see how he would react.

7 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

Fah'Loofah sat next to the man and slapped him on the back.

"This guy was a CANNIBAL!" She yelled, then she slowly backed away.

@I think I am here.

Wilhelm looked to the woman who’d yelled it out, but disguised it as curiosity, rather than guilt. He smiled, then let out a small laugh, taking a piece of bear meat from his pack.

“Well, while I appreciate the accusation, I am afraid the blood around my mouth,” he gestured to it. “Is merely a product of surviving in the wild, feeding on rabbits and bears and the like.” He took a bite of the bear meat, so they could see how some of the residue was left on his mouth.

“I needed to survive when I was outcast, and I have to say killing humans is a terrible way to achieve that unless you want to get yourself killed. Hunting small animals is much easier.

Besides, I’m not that person anymore, he thought. How did that woman know? How? He’d have to ask her, but that would be admitting guilt. What else did she know? Wilhelm knew that if he ever wanted a clean slate, she would have to be removed.

18 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“We should get out of here. Get a grip on where we are and all that."

“Which direction?” Wilhelm asked, standing up. It seemed like there dark clouds in every direction. “Maybe we should look through what remains of this place? We might find whatever machine he had up there, that he used to do this.”

The tower finally toppled entirely, its base collapsed under its weight as the top began to fall towards the doors out from the cellar, narrowly avoiding the figures who ran out from beneath its looming shadow and with a final thunderous crash it collided with the floor. Splinters of rock, metal and glass were sent flying in all directions as the husk of a house was destroyed still further beneath the weight of stone crashing down upon it and a cloud of dirt, dust and debris mingled with the faint evening mist to further obscure the vision of those present.

From within this murky cloud the faint light could still be seen, near to where the lounging hall had previously been, though the light now flickered and lessened. Its glowing beacon dimmed in the resounding silence after the initial crash.

Renata peeked over the top of her travel bag, which she had quickly thrown over her head as the tower came crashing down. The massive cloud of dust had finally started to clear, swirling into the misty night air. She could still see a dim light flickering weakly where the entrance lounge had once been.

Curiosity tugged at her, and she stood, walking over to her knife and sheathing it back in her boot. Renata held her sphere aloft, the white light of the clearmark diffusing around her in a soft, dusty glow. She could barely make out the figure of someone stalking towards the light in the fallen tower.

"Hello?" Renata called, coughing a little and trying to wave away some of the dust as she continued walking. Only one survivor? She thought, panic beginning to set in. Just one? "Is anyone else out there?"

16 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

“Hello?" Renata called, coughing a little and trying to wave away some of the dust as she continued walking. Only one survivor? She thought, panic beginning to set in. Just one? "Is anyone else out there?"

In the dust cloud, not much could be seen. Wilhelm stalked in the cover, watching two people get up. Rust, he’d already been accused of being a cannibal, he should have just killed them and left.

Stalking behind the one who said her name was Renata, Wilhelm took out a knife...

And sheathed it. He was not a cannibal. He was not a killer. Not anymore!

“I think I am here,” he said, appearing next to her.

8 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“I think I am here,” he said, appearing next to her.

Nice. :P 

Renata whirled around, almost hitting the man with her outstretched arm. It was Wilhelm, an odd look on his face. Well, odder than usual.

"Damnation!" she hissed at him, heart pounding. She kept walking, matching Wilhelm's pace so he couldn't get behind her again. 

She heard Lizanne call out next, her shape materializing out of the misty gloom. "Are you alright?" Lizanne said.

Renata nodded. "Yes, I got out of the way just in time. Is anyone trapped down there in the cellar?"

@Sorana 

2 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Renata whirled around, almost hitting the man with her outstretched arm. It was Wilhelm, an odd look on his face. Well, odder than usual.

"Damnation!" she hissed at him, heart pounding. She kept walking, matching Wilhelm's pace so he couldn't get behind her again. 

She heard Lizanne call out next, her shape materializing out of the misty gloom. "Are you alright?" Lizanne said.

Renata nodded. "Yes, I got out of the way just in time. Is anyone trapped down there in the cellar?"

@Sorana 

"They can leave if they want to."

"Do you think you could climb on some rubble and take a look around? A wood, smoke, buildings. Anything like that. We need food and water."

2 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"They can leave if they want to."

"Do you think you could climb on some rubble and take a look around? A wood, smoke, buildings. Anything like that. We need food and water."

Renata thought, chewing her lip. "Doesn't sound too safe to climbing around on this mess," she said finally. Then, she hooked her thumb over her shoulder where Hellbent was searching for the source of the light. "Why don't we ask him to do it?"

6 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Renata thought, chewing her lip. "Doesn't sound too safe to climbing around on this mess," she said finally. Then, she hooked her thumb over her shoulder where Hellbent was searching for the source of the light. "Why don't we ask him to do it?"

“That would be wise,” Wilhelm said, noticing her reaction. Perhaps she didn’t like Wilhelm’s sudden appearance from the dust cloud.

He raised a gloved hand and pointed to the dim light. “But we should check that. It might tell us where we are.

He walked over pieces of rubble, jumping between them. “It might be the machination the doctor was using.”

2 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“That would be wise,” Wilhelm said, noticing her reaction. Perhaps she didn’t like Wilhelm’s sudden appearance from the dust cloud.

He raised a gloved hand and pointed to the dim light. “But we should check that. It might tell us where we are.

He walked over pieces of rubble, jumping between them. “It might be the machination the doctor was using.”

Lizanne followed him, without really thinking about it. The light, it could be dangerous, or it could be a way back. Or nothing more but a light.

Renata followed the two of them around piles of rubble. A small, white hand peeked out from beneath what looked like the lounge room wall. A shudder ran over Renata's skin as she pictured the look on the faces of all the dead servers. She'd done a quick sketch of it in her notebook, though she'd have rather banished it from her mind entirely.

"Do you think it's some sort of fabrial?" She asked Wilhelm as they neared the light. If so, there didn't seem to be any Stormlight to re-power it. Renata was trying not to think about what they would do when all her spheres ran out of light. Torches were an obvious choice, but fire was easier to spot and harder to control.

@I think I am here.

31 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

“Do you think it's some sort of fabrial?" She asked Wilhelm as they neared the light. If so, there didn't seem to be any Stormlight to re-power it. Renata was trying not to think about what they would do when all her spheres ran out of light. Torches were an obvious choice, but fire was easier to spot and harder to control.

“Fabrial?” Wilhelm asked.

“Oh, you mean your gemstone ettmetals. Maybe, though if I remember none of them give a white light, correct?”

Lizanne limped after them, unable to keep up with their faster pace. She listened to their conversation, understanding maybe half of it. Worry creased her brows. She knew nothing about them, was is safer to leave them, stay on her own? She might be able to find some food, but to forage enough for all of them would be hard. If she accounted the unknown dangers in - there was safety in groups. So for now she followed, tried to discern if they were a threat or not.

Scraps of metal, broken glass and gemstones littered the path, the final wisps of Stormlight leaving the gems provided faint illumination as they crunched underfoot,  though not enough to explain the light that was still emanating from ahead. The mist and dust still diffused the light, making it difficult to tell its precise origin and casting ominous shadows into the air and surrounding debris.

A particularly large shadow loomed in front of them as they approached the centre of the ruined tower. As they approached closer the faded outline became clearer, resolving into the shape of another body, held aloft by a broken plank of wood that had pierced through his abdomen. Doctor Nitinyas held a similarly horrified expression to the other bodies, but his arm was also raised in an aggressive gesture in front of him, a final gesture of resistance forever locked in place as his blank, wide eyes stared into the distance.

Behind his body stood a large, twisted structure. Thin metal beams formed the general outline, shallow recesses dotted their surface, several of them appeared scorched over large portions. Beneath the beams stood a mess of wires and cables, a spectrum of different alloys twirled around each other until eventually joining together around a large glass sphere which still emitted a dull white glow.

Lisa slowly got up from behind the wall she was hiding behind, still shaken from all the noise. Slowly she started walking towards the center of the building, looking at the source of the white light. Keeping her distance, she started looking around for the others, hoping that everyone was alright.

The blade pierced cleanly through the flesh, and a faint sound of shifting rock could be heard, as though a reminder of what happened the last time Hellbent started stabbing random things.

Spoiler

:P

Lizanne looked at the cables and then turned around. She had no idea, what they might do, but one of them had a chance to understand their purpose.

"Lisa?"

She called loudly. The tower had been so loud, should someone come to examine, he had already decided to do so.

"You should take a look at this. We're at the glowing thing."

@kenod