The Spooky Spiketacular Extravaganza!

Voidus

"What was that?" asked a voice - the man in all the coats, the one with only one eye.

Renata glanced at him just in time to see him peer oddly at one of the unconscious forms on the ground. Almost like... Renata shook her head a little. That was a ridiculous thought.

"I don't know," she said quietly, stepping carefully over the forms of some of the others, and avoiding puddles of spilled wine. "Felt like a Highstorm, only I've never seen mist in a Highstorm. Or...beads."

Shadesmar. She'd seen plenty of those beads in Shadesmar. Renata shivered a little, glancing up at the door, which had remained closed.

"Are you hurt?" She asked the man. "I'm Renata, by the way. Don't think I caught your name."

@I think I am here.

“Wilhelm,” he replied, leaning against a wall and using it to balance as he stood up. “And no injuries, though for some reason I can’t see anything from this eye,” he pointed to the eyepatched eye and laughed. His laugh was weird, more like one short ‘ha!’ than anything of length.

“Yes, it seemed like beads, though this ‘highstorm’ thing you talk about, I don’t much of it. The mist is obvious, though. We have angered the Sovereign in some way. But now that it is gone from here, I wonder...” he looked to the closed cellar. “If it is gone from there?”

@ZincAboutIt

Edited by I think I am here.

Renata cracked a smile at Wilhelm's joke, more to try and force a sense of normalcy than out of any real mirth. She had no idea who this "Sovereign" was.

One of his gods, maybe? People here had all manner of pagan gods. Though, as she thought about it, Alleycity was in some kind of separate universe, wasn't it? Maybe she was the pagan one, now. Renata caught her hand moving against her thigh, tracing a glyphward against her own heretical thoughts. She stopped halfway through the glyph, shaking her hand.

Foolish. No one is listening here. No one is watching. We're on our own.

"But now that it is gone from here, I wonder...” Wilhelm looked to the closed cellar. “If it is gone from there?”

Renata followed his gaze up the stairs. There was a dull light filtering through the crack beneath the door, but no mist. Good or bad?

She shrugged. One thing at a time. "Let's see if anyone else is alive, first. You don't happen to know field surgery, do you? I can bind a wound and stitch well enough, but more than that will be guesswork."

Renata moved towards one of the nearest figures - Lizanne, the girl with the limp. She held two fingers gently against her throat, then shook her shoulder softly when she felt a pulse.

@I think I am here. @Sorana

Does anyone plan on being dead?

Edited by ZincAboutIt

Renata spun quickly at the sound, squeezing her eyes shut at the sudden dizziness brought by the motion.

"Kelek, you scared me," she whispered to Arun. "You're alive - that's three of us that I know of. Well, four, if you count Lizanne. I can't wake her."

A sudden thought struck her, and she held the clearmark higher to get a better look around. She found the still form of the Shardbearer laying on the floor, but his blade was nowhere to be seen.

Not dead, then, Renata thought, chewing her lip. Then she bent down, sliding her little knife back out of her boot where she'd stored it after finding it under a wine barrel. The motion felt strange, like it wasn't quite her hand holding the knife, not quite her body stepping towards the man's unconscious form.

What am I doing? She thought, reality reasserting itself. Renata had no idea how to wield a Shardblade, and even if she did, was she really going to kill a man for it? She stuck her knife back into her boot sheath, glad the darkness hid her shameful blush.

"Check the others," she said to Arun and Whilhelm, eager to distract herself. "If anyone's dead, bring everything they have to the center of the room. We need to take stock of our food and water."

@Blessing of Potency @I think I am here.

19 minutes ago, Blessing of Potency said:

Arun nods, then try’s to push herself to her feet, but falls down with a cry. Looking down at her legs she notices a shard of glass sticking out of her thigh. 

Outside or inside of thigh? Basically, will pulling the glass out result in epic vein-spurting blood (potential inside) or a nasty wound that requires binding but isn't omgwtfahhhhhh level (outside)?

“I know no surgery,” Wilhelm remarked, observing Renata about to kill the ettmetal man, before backing off. Wilhelm sighed. The best time to kill the bear was while he was hibernating. He watched another one get up before falling back down, glass in her leg.

Slowly he walked over to her, checking pulses on the bodies along the way. No one dead. For now.

When he got to her he crouched down to her level, his eye gazing intensely at her. “Leave it in,” he said. “It will block bleeding.”

@ZincAboutIt

@Blessing of Potency

Lizanne woke when she felt fingers touch her neck, but she stayed silent, afraid what the woman might do, if she discovered she was alive. She listened to their conversation, tried to understand if she was in danger or not. Again someone approached her, checked somethinh and walked away again. Safe, she was probably safe.

Pushing herself up, her head started pulsing and she groaned in pain, when her already bruised ribs made themselves known again. A wave of nauseau rolled over her and she turned to the side, vomitted on the ground. She lay back down and then forced herself to sit up, to fight the nauseau and the pain. Be strong, no prey. Leaning against a wall she tried to grasp what had happened.

@I think I am here.

@ZincAboutIt

@Blessing of Potency

Aderet blinked her eyes open and sat up. Some of the others were already standing and some appeared to be injured. Nothing hurt, but she inspected herself anyways. Her hair was a mess, dress covered in debris - otherwise everything appeared to be okay. 

Except for...her index finger. The nail had torn. Making sure no one was watching, she carefully broke it off. The ragged edge got caught in her hair as she stood up.

"I knew I should have brought a nail file," she muttered to herself.

Lisa clutched her head as she woke up. "Did I go to some college party again?" she muttered. Looking around she remembered what had happened. Seeing the damage of the room she checked herself for injuries, and when she didn't find any she stood up, grabbing hold of a nearby object to steady herself, feeling dizzy.

"Ugh, what just happened," she muttered.

9 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

a nasty wound that requires binding but isn't omgwtfahhhhhh level

This, but because it isn’t a clean cut it will leave a pretty big scar.

Arun nods, not trusting her voice to not come out extremely shaky. She sits, staring at the piece of glass, not able to take her eyes off of it.

50 minutes ago, kenod said:

Lisa clutched her head as she woke up. "Did I go to some college party again?" she muttered. Looking around she remembered what had happened. Seeing the damage of the room she checked herself for injuries, and when she didn't find any she stood up, grabbing hold of a nearby object to steady herself, feeling dizzy.

"Ugh, what just happened," she muttered.

Lizanne pushed herself to her feet and limped over to Lisa, making sure she had a hand on a wall all the time. Her head swam, but that couldn't be helped.

"Are you alright?"

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

Lizanne pushed herself to her feet and limped over to Lisa, making sure she had a hand on a wall all the time. Her head swam, but that couldn't be helped.

"Are you alright?"

Lisa noticed Lizanne and shook her head, trying to focus. "I'm alright, I think," she said slowly. "I just feel like that one time I managed to get a hangover."

Managing to clear away most of the dizziness she looked at Lizanne. "How are you?" she asked, sounding concerned. "Also, do you have any idea of what just happened?"

Renata breathed a silent sigh of relief as the majority of the group stirred and sat up. Whatever was out there, she did not wish to face it alone.

"I'm not sure what happened," she said, answering the question that everyone seemed to have. "It felt like we went into Shadesmar for a moment, but..." Renata gestured around at the cellar, which was conspicuously free of beads. "Not anymore."

There was a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach as a possibility dawned on her. The Doctor had wanted to take them to a new realm, after all. "I think..." She faltered, tugging on her hair a little. "I think we might have traveled... someplace else."

Edited by ZincAboutIt
formatting correction

50 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

“I think we might have traveled... someplace else."

Wilhelm nodded. “And a way back? Is there even one?” He didn’t care. He’d joined the expedition for a new life, and he wasn’t going to bother trying to find an escape out of it.

He looked to the rest of the people wake up. “One of us should check,” he pointed to the closed cellar door. “What’s outside.”

Someplace else. A different world. It was a scary thought. Terrifying even. Aderet absentmindedly rubbed the rough edge of her broken nail. She felt like crying - she was Harmony only knew how far from home with nothing but a couple bottles of Cadmium. 

But tears wouldn't help. All they'd do is waste water. She sighed, after all, she'd embraced the fact she was going to die earlier. Why was her nerve buckling with the slightest bits of hope now? There was no reason.

Fine. She was dead-weight to the others, but they didn't know that for sure yet and she wasn't going tell them straight out. 

Aderet turned to the man with an eyepatch from earlier. "Or maybe," she said, "we should take stock of exactly what we have here and now before we get distracted by whatever is out there. Rusts, half of us still don't even know one another's names." She hadn't intended to let profanity slip out - it had become part of the sentence without her even noticing.

Renata nodded at the Lighteyed woman. "She's right. The way this day has gone, who knows if this cellar will even be here if we leave it. We should catalog resources and figure out who we are and what we can do before we leave this place. And deal with any wounds that need binding."

She looked over at Arun, who still had that glass shard sticking out of her leg. "That'll need to come out eventually."

With a sigh, she went to the Shardbearer and shook his foot softly, not eager to scare him and receive a blade through the neck. "Wake up, storm you," she hissed at him. "You and that Blade are pretty much our only edge on whatever is out there."

@Ark1002

Wilhelm blinked at the lighteyed woman and Renata. “You speak so... fancily.” He frowned.

“So, counting what we have. I have,” He rummaged through his pockets and came up with several wrapped slabs of bear meat (uncooked), four knives (he smiled nervously as he took them all out), and a bear trap, with dried blood on the teeth. He quickly hid them away as he brought them all out.

“I’ve shown what I have. Now you do the same.”

12 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Wilhelm blinked at the lighteyed woman and Renata. “You speak so... fancily.” He frowned.

"A lighteyed lady knows that words are her truest weapons, Talena." A brush moved through her hair, boar bristles catching slightly on the fine silk of her havah. Gold tracery spiraled out in a pattern of vines, echoed by the gold pins in her hair. The woman that was not her mother was humming a wordless tune, one of her favorites. 

Renata looked down, her left hand curling into a fist inside her glove. Now was no time for memories, no time for wavering. She ran a hand through her hair, cropped above her shoulders. She was no brightlady, she was a darkeyed scribe. A courier. Her mother was darkeyed too, and she was dead. Everyone is dead. Everyone but me.

She pulled off her pack, squatting down and pulling out what she had inside, laying them down one by one: a waterskin - mostly full, six small packets full of rations, mostly jerky and flatbread, two clearmarks plus the one in her hand, and a few chips, a cooking knife, a small notebook, pencil and a small bottle of lacquer with a brush, and a long waterproof coat. That last one had been her most luxurious purchase, outside of her boots. The material was strange, some technology from another world, though the man who sold it to her claimed it would keep out rain and wind. He'd even poured water over it, and sure enough it slid right off. Renata shrugged the coat on, then opened her notebook and began a tally of the supplies.