The Spooky Spiketacular Extravaganza!

Voidus

Hi all, so I think we're finally at a point where we can start off the horror thread from the planning. This is just a brief intro so that characters can all meet each other in a familiar environment and briefly interact, etc.

On the eastern edges of Alleycity stood a large, stone tower. The tower was crooked, it's walls seemed to spiral around themselves as they grew from the ground and culminated in a metal tip which resembled a satellite dish. The door to the tower stood open, a young man in his early teens waited in a fine suit, holding the door ajar and greeting visitors as they arrived.

Invitations had been sent out to a number of individuals, requests had been posted in taverns and missives had been sent to various guilds, all to try to gather people in this tower for an expedition. They'd kept the invitations brief and to the point, a somewhat eccentric scientist had discovered a rift in the cognitive realm, while the cognitive realm was already a convenient means of travel to distant places it still took some time, and this rift in particular seemed special. It was a rift to an entirely unknown section of the universe, or perhaps a different universe altogether.

Some early groups had passed through and begun to scout out the area, reporting constellations that didn't match anything that had been previously recorded.

But now a larger expedition had been requested, and they needed volunteers.

"Good day sir, my name is Gedwyn, may I take your coat?" The young man at the door asked as a man walked briskly up to the door. "Thank you sir, the gathering is just through that door, to the right of the stair case."

He gestured towards a set of double doors on the interior that led into a large room, larger than seemed possible given the dimensions of the tower, filled with large comfortable couches, a warm rug and a roaring fireplace.

A trio of other men and women, dressed as waiters, circled the room. They offered drinks and food to those waiting in the interior.

Renata stepped out of the maze that was the Alleycity and surveyed the tower perched at its eastern edge. She tucked a stray lock of red-black hair behind her ear, tugging on the end reassuringly, as though making sure it was still there. She drew in a deep breath, hefting her travel pack over her shoulder and walking towards the odd tower. Dirt crunched beneath her shoes - sensible boots, the most sensible pair she could afford with her last wages. A small frown touched the corners of her dark grey eyes as she recalled Varash's solemn face when she'd submitted her notice. He was a good man, or at least as good as one could be in this city. He'd even offered to keep her job waiting for her when she got back.

"Nobody runs like you do, Ren," he'd said, handing her a pouch of crysts. She'd made some vague noises, told him she'd think about it, but they both knew she wouldn't be returning any time soon. It wasn't his fault, really. It was that creeping feeling like a noose around her neck. The fear of being trapped, being caged. Renata shook off the memories that threatened to play before her eyes and pulled up the left sleeve of her tunic, reading the word written there. She breathed in again, then out, flexing her left hand in its glove, and kept walking. It was time to move on from this place.

"Good evening," she said to the young man at the door. She peered behind him, trying to get a look inside the strange, twisting building. "Is this the expedition?"

Supporting this proposal.

It was hot.

Wilhelm rubbed his face in the heat. Wearing long sleeved shirts and trousers was hardly ideal, but he doubted he’d get any good looks if he took some off. He was a mess, at least this way he could hide some of the more uglier aspects of him. And obviously his Southern Scadrian fluffy coats and trousers suited for the cold were suffering heavily in the current weather.

Licking his lips, he turned to a building, and some food people. They were people. He had to remember that. He licked his lips again and waddled forward, rubbing some sweat off of his forehead.

“Hullo,” he said to the main person in his South Scadrian accent. There was another lady here too, the type that looked better with pepper than salt had multicoloured hair. Wilhelm could never wrap his mind around that. Though he had made wraps of other people’s minds.

Disgusting, he thought. I’m disgusting. Thinking about eating people, I’m not like that. I’m better.

Snapping the distant look from his eyes he looked to what appeared to be the main man and made a small point to the building. “I think I’d like to enter.”

Lizanne followed the instructions to the building, somehow curious what she was getting into and at the same time it was hard to care. An expedition. Whatever. As long as she had the chance to earn some money, she was in. She didn't really care about the rest. It had been too long, since she had been able to afford some really good food, and a new shirt would be nice aswell.

Limping over to the door she smiled at the young man there.

"I'm here for the expedition."

She told him and then simply stepped inside to look around.

13 hours ago, Blessing of Potency said:

Well yeah, probably. But I don’t even have a name...

Neither does the thread :P

The young doorman greeted Renata and Wilhelm with a warm smile and a small bow.

"Sir, Madame. The meeting is being held in the lounging room, just through here."

He led the two inside, towards where a small number of others were also waiting. There was a mixed air of curiosity, excitement and intrigue. None of the guests seemed to be particularly familiar with their host and many were idly wandering the room and perusing its contents.

"We're just waiting for a few more arrivals." The doorman said. "Then the doctor should arrive and he can inform you further. Please, make yourselves at home."

He gave them another polite smile and returned to his post at the door, just as another woman walked past him, not waiting for him to finish greeting her in return or asking for directions. But she seemed to make her way towards the correct room, so the doorman simply gave her a confused no of respect as she passed him and let her know the same information before returning to wait at the doorway.

Lizanne fetches something to drink and then leans against a wall, quietly observing those that enter the place. An expedition? With a crew like this? It seemed strange. One guy was licking his lips, stared at the others for a while, only to avert his glance hastily. The others seemed more normal, but they all had a feeling to them, she didn't like. This was no ordinary expedition. Who would invite a bunch like them?

"Hey everybody!"

She called out.

"As we're all going to be part of the same expedition, I figured it couldn't hurt, if we knew each others names, maybe some skills?"

@Element of Chaos

@Blessing of Potency

@I think I am here.

@ZincAboutIt

Renata looked up from her inspection of an elaborate fabrial hanging on the wall. She'd heard someone call it a "clock"; apparently, they told the time. This one was embellished within an inch of its life, and Renata was rather impressed that it hadn't ripped itself out of the plaster yet.

The speaker was the girl with the limp; she looked like she hadn't seen a decent meal since Aharietiam. Renata wondered what her skills were. She snagged a drink off the tray of a passing servant, nodding as she did so, and sipped at it. They served odd wine here, but Renata liked it well enough, despite the fact that it was almost always one of two colors. This one was light yellow and fizzy. She took a sip.

"Perhaps you'd like to go first," she said to the woman, watching over the rim of the glass.

@Sorana

14 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Perhaps you'd like to go first," she said to the woman, watching over the rim of the glass.

Lizanne felt the challenge behind the other womans words and smiled. So she wanted to play it this way? This was stupid. The whole expedition was a trap. A giant, unrelenting trap. If it weren't for the money, or the food, she wouldn't be here.

"My name is Lizanne. And I know about plants and animals."

She looked around grabbed something to eat, taking a small bite first to check for poisons. And now wait and observe your body.

Edited by Sorana

Not a bad skillset, actually, Renata conceded. She watched the woman take a small bite of the food, which seemed odd for how hungry she looked. Probably checking for poisonClever.

She probably should have done the same, though poisoning the entirety of an expeditionary force before it even started seemed highly unlikely, even to Renata's own paranoia.

"I'm Renata," she said, taking another sip of the wine. "I'm a courier and a runner. I was a scribe back in Vedenar - full slate of skills. Shorthand, some cartography." She shrugged.

Another girl had piped up, calling herself Arun. Renata waited for her to list any skills of her own. The man she was talking to earlier had summoned, then dismissed a shardblade. That would've made him a Brightlord back home - Heralds only knew what that meant here, though.

No need to ask his skill, Renata thought. 

@Sorana

Edited by ZincAboutIt

Lizanne nodded thoughtfully, then looked over to their last members. Arun had failed to mention any skills, so she probably wanted to betray them all at one point. Or the other two killed them. She took a larger bite, and then quickly ate the whole thing, before taking another one.