I have not officially existed until now. Hello!!

Archaeomancer

I am brand new to 17th shard, but far from new to reading Sanderson. I wasn't a big reader until I was given the Mistborn trilogy box set for Christmas 2012. This began my debilitating binge-reading addiction. Mistborn have been my favorite books since that first readthrough, and as I jumped into other Sanderson books, Elantris and Warbreaker, he was firmly planted in place as my favorite author.

I had been putting off reading the Stormlight Archive, because I really like to binge-read full series together, so I typically wait until they are all released. However, I've been looking at that copy of The Way of Kings sitting on my shelf and waiting to be devoured for nine years. It was time. That book has moved with me in and out of college dorms and across the country, and I have just been putting off the glory I knew was contained within.

Anyway I started off the year knowing I wanted to reread all of my Sanderson treasures so I could then jump into the new ones. I was consistently buying his books as soon as they were available in paperback, but waiting to read them until I was certain the series were complete. I could wait no longer. I started the year rereading Warbreaker. I took a little detour and read the Kingkiller Chronicles (because Brandon had an endoresment on the cover), while listening to all of Wheel of Time on audiobook as well. I then binged all 6 Mistborn with the Arcanum Unbounded supplements. Two scenes in particular from the Mistborn Secret History WRENCHED. MY SOUL. ASUNDER. So I had to heal from my binge hangover. Now I'm mid-Stormlight and revelling in the glory of a new Sanderson world.

So that's what now brings me to the forum! I'm excited to find connections and theories that I haven't made, as well as confirmation of my feelings (yes, it's ok to cry when ghosts of your favorite characters try to comfort the characters you've been living through vicariously).

Happy to be here, and hope this first post wasn't too long!

34 minutes ago, Archaeomancer said:

I am brand new to 17th shard, but far from new to reading Sanderson. I wasn't a big reader until I was given the Mistborn trilogy box set for Christmas 2012. This began my debilitating binge-reading addiction. Mistborn have been my favorite books since that first readthrough, and as I jumped into other Sanderson books, Elantris and Warbreaker, he was firmly planted in place as my favorite author.

I had been putting off reading the Stormlight Archive, because I really like to binge-read full series together, so I typically wait until they are all released. However, I've been looking at that copy of The Way of Kings sitting on my shelf and waiting to be devoured for nine years. It was time. That book has moved with me in and out of college dorms and across the country, and I have just been putting off the glory I knew was contained within.

Anyway I started off the year knowing I wanted to reread all of my Sanderson treasures so I could then jump into the new ones. I was consistently buying his books as soon as they were available in paperback, but waiting to read them until I was certain the series were complete. I could wait no longer. I started the year rereading Warbreaker. I took a little detour and read the Kingkiller Chronicles (because Brandon had an endoresment on the cover), while listening to all of Wheel of Time on audiobook as well. I then binged all 6 Mistborn with the Arcanum Unbounded supplements. Two scenes in particular from the Mistborn Secret History WRENCHED. MY SOUL. ASUNDER. So I had to heal from my binge hangover. Now I'm mid-Stormlight and revelling in the glory of a new Sanderson world.

So that's what now brings me to the forum! I'm excited to find connections and theories that I haven't made, as well as confirmation of my feelings (yes, it's ok to cry when ghosts of your favorite characters try to comfort the characters you've been living through vicariously).

Happy to be here, and hope this first post wasn't too long!

Welcome! It was smart of you to go ahead and read Stormlight- had you waited until it was finished, you would have have to wait decades. ;) Don’t accept any cookies, they are all hemalurgically spiked. Which magic system is your favorite so far?

Edited by Lunamor

Well, I definitely will not accept any cookies! Unless they're hemalurgically spiked in Era 2, because I have some questions for Harmony!

I would say Warbreaker has my favorite magic system, but Mistborn's is the most impressive to me. Perhaps because I am so unscientific, myself. 

5 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Oh you're in for a good time. Fair warning: stay away from the threads you aren't up-to-date on, or you will be spoiled.

Don't worry! I've stayed away from everything I haven't read in the last few months!! (I want an Elantris refresher too, after Stormlight). But thanks for lookin' out! Feel free to watch my fan-girlness unfold as I move through Stormlight!

Just now, Archaeomancer said:

Don't worry! I've stayed away from everything I haven't read in the last few months!! (I want an Elantris refresher too, after Stormlight). But thanks for lookin' out! Feel free to watch my fan-girlness unfold as I move through Stormlight!

Believe you me, I will.

Welcome to the Shard! I also started with Mistborn right around 2012, it was right what I needed when I needed it. You're wise to stay away from the cookies - they aren't nearly as delicious as this **delicious chocolate croissant** I have right here in my hand. ;) 

Edit: you know I think I actually read Mistborn closer to 2010... eh whatever. I love it, that's all that matters. 

Edited by ZincAboutIt

Just now, Archaeomancer said:

@ZincAboutIt I appreciate the welcome! Also, is there a way I would have already unwittingly accepted cookies? Everyone is mentioning it, but I have not been offered cookies... it's worrisome. 

Ha, no, you do need to accept them on purpose, yourself. If you haven't eaten any, then you haven't eaten any.

However, I can change that...

Spoiler

Would you like a cookie?