Nale and the Recreance

Child of Hodor

Spoiler

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Are there any Knights Radiant who broke their oaths in the Recreance that are still around in present day Stormlight time?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes. Oh, that broke their oaths. You anticipated me. RAFO.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

But there are still ones around who haven't?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, Nale. That's my loophole there. That's who I was thinking of. But you said that did break their oaths, so you anticipated me on that one.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

WoB above is hidden for length. Brandon initially misunderstands the question, but I interpret his response to mean Nale was a KR before the Recreance. If so, I have the feeling that he was instrumental in them keeping the Skybreakers keeping their oaths. 

There are issues with that, he would probably be incognito he can't be running around as Nale because then the KR would know that the Heralds didn't leave. Then again, what are the KRs gonna do about it, all quit? LOL ... oh. 

The Skybreakers are the biggest rule-sticklers of the KR, so they could have decided to keep their oaths on their own.The Windrunners were the first to break their oaths and could be said to have led the Recreance by example, not that it was solely their idea but they took the initiative. Windrunners and Skybreakers really don't get along. This may have been part of why they resisted going along. These orders clash so much because one protects based on what they think is right even if it violates the law of the land while the other worships the law of the and above all else and feel individual human judgement is flawed and cannot be relied on. Windrunners felt the Recreance was right the Skybreakers rejected that feeling and stuck to their oaths. 
Hidden for length:

Spoiler

"There came also sixteen of the order of Windrunners, and with them a considerable number of squires, and finding in that place the Skybreakers dividing the innocent from the guilty, there ensued a great debate." - WoR Ch. 54 Epigraph  

"The disagreements between the Skybreakers and the Windrunners have grown to tragic levels. I plead with any who hear this to recognize you are not so different as you think." - OB Ch. 64 Epigraph. 

But the Skybreakers are the only order with a Herald as a member at the time of the Recreance and they are the only ones not to quit. Seems like it could be connected.

Nale is leading the Skybreakers in the modern day he may have been a leader among them back then as Clark, Clark Nail nice to meet you. Or Nailz with a backwards z. :P Or Nale might not have been actively working with the Skybreakers at the time, but he became aware of the Recreance beginning through his spren and swooped in to be say "don't" to his order.

54 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

But the Skybreakers are the only order with a Herald as a member at the time of the Recreance and they are the only ones not to quit. Seems like it could be connected.

I agree with the general idea, I'm sure it would have helped for Nale to be both Herald and Knight.

But technically we don't know he was the only one, he just wasn't aware of any others. I only mention it because my headcannon is that Taln was a Stoneward.

We also don't know that all of the Radiant's associated with one another.  If Mr nobody in the middle of nowhere bonds a highspren with the help of another radiant who was passing through and decides not to leave his hometown then another Skybreaker would still recognize him as one of their own even if he was never part of their formalized system of radiant governance.  So Nale could have interacted with the other KR whenever he felt like it if he wanted to.

Taln was betrayed and left to be tortured alone for 4500 years so he was on Braize for the recreanse.

I do find it odd that Brandon said RAFO when he thought the question was are any KR alive who broke their oaths but gave a simple yes when he understood correctly.

20 minutes ago, Angsos said:

I do find it odd that Brandon said RAFO when he thought the question was are any KR alive who broke their oaths but gave a simple yes when he understood correctly.

I don't at all. Signings are exceptionally busy. He has a get out if jail free card, so if he doesn't fully get the question RAFO ends things succinctly. 

If he asked every questioner to clarify, signings would be soooooooo much longer. 

22 minutes ago, Angsos said:

Probably because of Shallan, Kaladin, and (probably) Szeth. 

Shallan and Kaladin reneged on their Oaths, so technically they qualify, and Szeth might have done the same (he seems to hint at the fact that me may have bonded a spren when he was young a la Shallan when he first meets Nightblood, and he seems to be very familiar with the way his powers work, even beyond the years he spent Truthless).

Plus Calderis's reasons.

Edited by Invocation

18 hours ago, Jace21 said:

I agree with the general idea, I'm sure it would have helped for Nale to be both Herald and Knight.

But technically we don't know he was the only one, he just wasn't aware of any others. I only mention it because my headcannon is that Taln was a Stoneward.

That's true we don't know. Especially with all the female heralds besides Ash who we have little idea of what they've been up to. 

• Chaos locked this topic