Roshek - The Great Census of 1305

ZincAboutIt

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

Amara jumped in surprise when something flew at them, only to realize, there had been no danger at all. While she tried to grasp, that he had just snatched an arrow out of the air, a second one flew at Mutig and got stick in his fur.

"Are you hurt?"

She asked and stared at the arrow, to see if he was bleeding. Only then did she realize, that maybe she was a possible target as well and looked around, tried to find the one shooting the arrows. All around her people glowed softly, that man over tvere, she would need to find him, she could help him. But he was gone before she could see his face.

@Chasmfiend#1

@Steel Inquisitive

@Vargo Seldon

Mutig rolled his shoulders, the arrow came close to breaking skin but his and cought it just enough.

"It's fine, getting the tar out is going to be a nightmare. Although this does add character when you think about it." He looked at Amara and Jügen.

"How about you two?"

@Sorana 

@Steel Inquisitive

@Vargo Seldon

Edited by Chasmfiend#1

10 hours ago, Sorana said:

Amara nodded.

"I'm fine. Just didn't expect this."

She hesitated.

"Maybe hurry to the census to get out of the open?"

@Chasmfiend#1

@Steel Inquisitive

@Vargo Seldon

"You know, that's not a bad idea." Mutig said as he tried getting the tar arrow out of his fur.

@Sorana @Steel Inquisitive @Vargo Seldon

12 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Thorstein stood up from where he was packing up when a man approached him.

"Excuse me sir, but didn't you die?" Thorsteins eyes widened. Definitely an adventure happening.

"Well, I don't think so. Because I am very much alive. But my death has been faked numerous times for a number of reasons. You will have to be specific." 

Algorath looked a little taken aback.  "You mean you were toying with us?!  We found your shredded body!  The hunt for that monster.  Me and my pack brought it down eventually, but you helped us find it."

I don't know if there was a hunt, but I thought it would be funny to RP it that way.

1 hour ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

"You know, that's not a bad idea." Mutig said as he tried getting the tar arrow out of his fur.

@Sorana @Steel Inquisitive @Vargo Seldon

Jürgen put his bow away, but kept a watchful eye on the crowd. "Yes," he said sharply. "Let's keep moving." He marched to the building as fast as he could.

@Sorana

10 minutes ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Algorath looked a little taken aback.  "You mean you were toying with us?!  We found your shredded body!  The hunt for that monster.  Me and my pack brought it down eventually, but you helped us find it."

Ahhh, I remember. That was one of my better deaths. Never expected to see them again though. 

"I was not toying with you, I was writing the story." Seeing the confused look on Algorath's face he tried to explain. "I was the guide, the old wizard of the party. And every good story with an old wizard in it has the old wizard die. Their death is needed to propel the hero's forward to accomplish their goal. So you see, I needed to die for you to succeed. 

But I don't like dying. Death is a weirdo and I don't want to see him again. So I fake my death. The Hero's can succeed, I can tell a really good story, and everyone goes home happily." He paused, concerned, "but I've never met a hero again after I died. So I don't know how that will turn out. Hopefully it doesn't upset the balance of things too much.

But yeah, the guides death inspires the hero's, and makes for one heck of a story. So even if my death didn't inspire you, in about 50 years when I start telling this story, it will draw crowds like no other."

Aldred sat at the counter of the Half Moon Tavern, nursing a mug of small beer and a nasty headache. He'd had every intention of going to the census this morning, but it had taken longer than he'd expected to clear the mead-induced fog from his mind. Liezl set a bowl of porridge down in front of him and smiled wickedly.

"Good morning!" she said brightly, grin broadening when Aldred flinched at the volume of her voice. 

"Blight you, woman," Aldred muttered darkly, pinching the bridge of his nose. It felt like a group of tiny, angry chickens were pecking the back sides of his eyes. 

"Greta has yet to rise this morning," Liezl said, wiping the counter. It was largely empty in the main room, just a few patrons who looked similarly bedraggled. "I don't suppose you had anything to do with that?"

Aldred tried to smirk, but could only managed a weak grimace. "She can drink a shocking amount for her size, that girl," he said.

Liezl rolled her eyes. "Well it's just my luck, errand boy and barmaid both skipping duty. I don't suppose you caught Fritz drinking somewhere?"

"Fritz?" Aldred opened one of his eyes, dropping his hand and taking a tentative spoonful of porridge. "Can't say that I have."

"Fool boy," Liezl said, polishing a bottle of cherry cordial. "He's probably sleeping outside the bakery up the street, hoping for a sweet bun. He'll be having some words with the back of my hand when he finally skulks back in here..."

Lilia walked down the stairs, yawning and stretching. Sleepily, she drifted to Liezl. "Got a cup for me?" she asked.
Liezl gave her a look. "Again?" She asked. "You know you can just have beer right, like normal people?" Seeing the way Lilia gazed at her she sighed. "Sure," she said. "You'll be paying the same as everyone else for that cup though."
After handing her the money and getting the cup, Lilia sat down next to Aldred. Moving the cup on the counter she then grabbed some paper out of a pocket, as well as some charcoal, and started scribbling on the paper.

A very slight tug at the edge of Aldred's mind brought him out of his thoughts, most of which revolved around sneaking back up to bed and never waking up again. The Descendant woman, Lilia, slid into the seat next to him and began writing on a small piece of paper.

"Morning," he said, watching her write. "The others have gone out to the census, I think. All except for Janim, not too sure where that one ran off to."

Probably skulking around on the roof, he thought, eating a little more porridge.

@kenod

2 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Jürgen put his bow away, but kept a watchful eye on the crowd. "Yes," he said sharply. "Let's keep moving." He marched to the building as fast as he could.

@Sorana

Amara hastily followed him through the crowd. People were bumping into her, jostling her from left to right. One stumbled straight into her and she had a hard time to keep her balance, when her pinnate swayed a bit. She'd never seen so many people at the same place. So many were carrying some kind of illness, from a hurting tooth, to something serious like an inflamation. Groaning she pressed a hand against her head. She'd made it a habit to look everybody over, so that she could do something before it got bad, but right now she tried to shut it out, to not look at everybody closely.

Stumbling behind Jürgen she was glad that he pushed some of the crowd away, offered her a possibility to move more easily.

@Steel Inquisitive

@Chasmfiend#1

17 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Ahhh, I remember. That was one of my better deaths. Never expected to see them again though. 

"I was not toying with you, I was writing the story." Seeing the confused look on Algorath's face he tried to explain. "I was the guide, the old wizard of the party. And every good story with an old wizard in it has the old wizard die. Their death is needed to propel the hero's forward to accomplish their goal. So you see, I needed to die for you to succeed. 

But I don't like dying. Death is a weirdo and I don't want to see him again. So I fake my death. The Hero's can succeed, I can tell a really good story, and everyone goes home happily." He paused, concerned, "but I've never met a hero again after I died. So I don't know how that will turn out. Hopefully it doesn't upset the balance of things too much.

But yeah, the guides death inspires the hero's, and makes for one heck of a story. So even if my death didn't inspire you, in about 50 years when I start telling this story, it will draw crowds like no other."

Algorath furrowed his brow, then smiled and chuckled.  "Never thought I would be a hero," he muttered wryly.  He pointed to the man, "so you go around, doing these things, in order to relate them to others at some point."  he paused, thinking, "Geth really liked you, old man.  I'll have to tell him once I find the pack again.  Well, I have to run to the census building.  Good talk."  With that, he turned around, and began to walk into the crowds.  Funny, he though, he barely noticed them anymore.  He walked through the doors of the building, waiting by the entrance for the rest of the crew.

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

A very slight tug at the edge of Aldred's mind brought him out of his thoughts, most of which revolved around sneaking back up to bed and never waking up again. The Descendant woman, Lilia, slid into the seat next to him and began writing on a small piece of paper.

"Morning," he said, watching her write. "The others have gone out to the census, I think. All except for Janim, not too sure where that one ran off to."

Probably skulking around on the roof, he thought, eating a little more porridge.

@kenod

"Morning," Lilia replied without looking up. After a bit, she finished her drawings, and placed her cup on the paper. After waving away a fairy she focused, blanking out her mind. One for one symbols appeared in her head, linking together with the spell she had written on the paper. When she was sure she had all the variables firmly in place, she placed her finger on a specific rune, and watched water appear in the cup, air growing more dry around her. When the cup was filled, she took away her finger, and put the paper back into her pocket.

She drunk a bit from the cup, eyes closed. "Do you have any plans today?" she asked Aldred.

3 hours ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Algorath furrowed his brow, then smiled and chuckled.  "Never thought I would be a hero," he muttered wryly.  He pointed to the man, "so you go around, doing these things, in order to relate them to others at some point."  he paused, thinking, "Geth really liked you, old man.  I'll have to tell him once I find the pack again.  Well, I have to run to the census building.  Good talk."  With that, he turned around, and began to walk into the crowds.  Funny, he though, he barely noticed them anymore.  He walked through the doors of the building, waiting by the entrance for the rest of the crew.

Thorstein waved goodbye to the man and continued packing his stuff up. 

"Everyone's the hero of their own story." He muttered. When he was done packing things up he went to the tavern that the sayer man had gone off to. Something was important about that fellow. Thorstein wasn't exactly sure what, but that guy could very well be the hero of the story.

He walked in, looked around at the tired customers, nodded to the waiters, and moved to sit down next to aldred, then decided better of it. He walked over to Liezl and began talking with her quietly in the corner.

"Good morning, what can I get for you?" Liezl said brightly, noticing the new fellow who just walked in. "Porridge? I've got some eggs in the back too, and some bacon, though don't tell that one over there." 

She said this last bit in a conspiratorial voice, and pointed down the counter at Aldred, who continued to sulkily eat his porridge.

@MacThorstenson

24 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Good morning, what can I get for you?" Liezl said brightly, noticing the new fellow who just walked in. "Porridge? I've got some eggs in the back too, and some bacon, though don't tell that one over there." 

She said this last bit in a conspiratorial voice, and pointed down the counter at Aldred, who continued to sulkily eat his porridge.

He grinned conspiratorially. "Not a word about the bacon. But I'm not actually here for food. I noticed that you had a stable out back, and I was wondering if I could store a wagon in it. You see, I have a brother in town, but he lives right by the academy. And I would prefer it if my stuff wasn't around a whole bunch of learning ritualists. Could I rent some storage space from you? Potentially long term?"

2 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

He grinned conspiratorially. "Not a word about the bacon. But I'm not actually here for food. I noticed that you had a stable out back, and I was wondering if I could store a wagon in it. You see, I have a brother in town, but he lives right by the academy. And I would prefer it if my stuff wasn't around a whole bunch of learning ritualists. Could I rent some storage space from you? Potentially long term?"

Liezl snorted. "I try my best to keep anything even remotely valuable away from those students, so I understand. As a matter of fact, I do have some extra space." Her face turned business-like, but her voice still retained its good-natured tone. "How long-term is long-term? A week? A month? As far as I'm concerned one person's coin is as good as another, so as long as you can pay, you can stay. Though, your horse may not enjoy the company down there. Looks like that talking bear will be sleeping down near the barrels, so long as he doesn't drink all my honey mead..."

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Liezl snorted. "I try my best to keep anything even remotely valuable away from those students, so I understand. As a matter of fact, I do have some extra space." Her face turned business-like, but her voice still retained its good-natured tone. "How long-term is long-term? A week? A month? As far as I'm concerned one person's coin is as good as another, so as long as you can pay, you can stay. Though, your horse may not enjoy the company down there. Looks like that talking bear will be sleeping down near the barrels, so long as he doesn't drink all my honey mead..."

"That part I'm not too sure about. I have a lot of valuable stuff, but not much of it in coin. You see, I am probably embarking on an adventure soon. And the past ones I've been on have taken anywhere from days to decades." He reached into his pocket pulling out the money he had gotten from the census a day ago. "How long would the money from the census get me?" He paused for a moment, thinking, then hesitantly continued. "And if that's not enough could I barter with a few... items? Don't worry, they aren't illegal, but quite valuable, and I would prefer it if their existence wasn't well known."

1 minute ago, MacThorstenson said:

"That part I'm not too sure about. I have a lot of valuable stuff, but not much of it in coin. You see, I am probably embarking on an adventure soon. And the past ones I've been on have taken anywhere from days to decades." He reached into his pocket pulling out the money he had gotten from the census a day ago. "How long would the money from the census get me?" He paused for a moment, thinking, then hesitantly continued. "And if that's not enough could I barter with a few... items? Don't worry, they aren't illegal, but quite valuable, and I would prefer it if their existence wasn't well known."

Liezl raised a brow. "Well, I'm not sure about decades but I'm sure we could negotiate a long-term lease. As a matter of fact, I'm rather fond of interesting items, and I'm rather adept at keeping secrets. I wouldn't be a proper Kurian if I couldn't strike a good trade. What were you thinking?"

2 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Liezl raised a brow. "Well, I'm not sure about decades but I'm sure we could negotiate a long-term lease. As a matter of fact, I'm rather fond of interesting items, and I'm rather adept at keeping secrets. I wouldn't be a proper Kurian if I couldn't strike a good trade. What were you thinking?"

Thorstein glanced around, making sure that nobody was listening, the started to talk. "Ideally, I would prefer to pay with coin first, because enchanted objects tend to be extremely attention grabbing, but I am a master enchanter. I have a number of tools in my wagon that are enchanted with the usual durability and sharpness enchantments, as well as being able to shrink in size for easy storage. In addition, if you give me time I should be able to enchant Items around here for you should you need it."

4 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Thorstein glanced around, making sure that nobody was listening, the started to talk. "Ideally, I would prefer to pay with coin first, because enchanted objects tend to be extremely attention grabbing, but I am a master enchanter. I have a number of tools in my wagon that are enchanted with the usual durability and sharpness enchantments, as well as being able to shrink in size for easy storage. In addition, if you give me time I should be able to enchant Items around here for you should you need it."

Liezl nodded, looking the man over with a slightly more critical eye. "If you've got the same eighteen carats as anyone else at the census, that's a good two months if you're just renting the stable." She tapped her mouth with one finger, thinking.

"Being on the canal has its perks, I'll tell you that, but it's a blighted nightmare other times. If you can seal up the back wall of my cellar nice and dry, you can bunk that horse and wagon as long as you like. I'll even feed the beast. Can't tell you how many times I've come down and been ankle-deep in filthy water after a heavy rain, and I'd be laughed out of the Academy courtyard if I went up asking, or at least charged an arm and a half. Can you do it?"

They stood in line..... Forever. When they finally made it to the front, it was a fast process. The cleric, a woman with the face of a fox, asked him a few quick questions.

"Your name, place of birth, and abilities please." She asked without looking up. After Jürgen had answered all the questions and collected his money, he waited for the others at the entrance.

@Sorana @Chasmfiend#1 @Vargo Seldon

Amara answered the questions quietly and then collected her money. It was a lot, but she was still a far way from her dream. But then you never knew and one day she would a possibility.

Smiling she followed Jürgen outside.

"What do you plan to do now?"

She asked him while waiting for the others.

@Steel Inquisitive

@Chasmfiend#1

@Vargo Seldon

2 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Amara answered the questions quietly and then collected her money. It was a lot, but she was still a far way from her dream. But then you never knew and one day she would a possibility.

Smiling she followed Jürgen outside.

"What do you plan to do now?"

She asked him while waiting for the others.

@Steel Inquisitive

@Chasmfiend#1

@Vargo Seldon

"I'm not sure. I left home a little abruptly, and I don't know where to go from here." He thought back to that day, his father angry, his mother crying, his siblings not even looking at him, and knew he couldn't go back. Not for a long time. "I'll probably go back to the tavern for a couple of days until I decide." He left it open ended, hoping she would join him.

13 minutes ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

"I'm not sure. I left home a little abruptly, and I don't know where to go from here." He thought back to that day, his father angry, his mother crying, his siblings not even looking at him, and knew he couldn't go back. Not for a long time. "I'll probably go back to the tavern for a couple of days until I decide." He left it open ended, hoping she would join him.

"I can't go back home."

Amara set down pinnate and stretched her back.

"I wish I could, but I can't."

"It would be nice to rest for a few days."

She smiled at him for a moment, brushed her hair out of her face.

"Could I join you? Maybe travel a bit together afterwards? It would be nice to not be alone at least for a while."

Mutig joined them and she looked at him for a moment and then laughed suddenly.

"The three, or four it is now, of us. Just imagine what impression those around us have to have. We're like completely different colours all thrown in the same pot. And it's great!"

More earnestly she added.

"I like you. Both of you."

@Steel Inquisitive

@Chasmfiend#1