Roshek - The Great Census of 1305

ZincAboutIt

Algorath exposed his fangs at the bear's harsh words, but then something strange happened.  A man stepped in between their little group and the guards, and seemed to exude calm.  His soothing voice reminded Algorath of flowing streams, sunlight filtering down through the trees, working on barrels in the carpenter shop, and many more things.  Everything that brought him peace in both lives.  He found that even the blatant use of magic of the girl didn't bother him much, and the other one––who he was sure was some form of deity––he didn't hate anymore.  Nature magic was repulsive, but human deities were destructive, offensive, and needed to die.  Still, he found that in his state of peace he didn't feel as though he wanted to kill this one.  When the calmer asked if they wanted drinks, he found himself agreeing, despite his discomfort at being so close to people.  

When they arrived at the tavern, he shifted to human form to be able to sit in a chair more naturally.  He found that human form came easier, and looked more natural than it usually did.  He sighed.  His sentience wouldn't be happy until he and the bear solved their issues.  He walked over to the hulking beast, who was now enjoying a bowl of honey mead.  "Look," he said, "If one of my kind took someone or something from you, I'm truly sorry.  But holding a grudge doesn't help.  I know.  A demigod took everything that I had known, and mashed it up with everything else I had known.  A poor human cobbler, who liked woodworking, with a fierce wolf, who liked nature.  I still hold a large grudge against human deities, but I've only just started to realize.  It's not worth it.  You judge the individual not by what his kind did, but by the content of his character."

@Chasmfiend#1

2 hours ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

"To be honest, I am not sure." He said, thinking about his last time in Brat, the town he'd spent his whole life guarding.

"I may try heading into another kingdom, maybe I'll see what I can do to evolve further from magic."

He looked at Amara, "where will you go?"

@Sorana

"I don't know. I go whereever I can help. I just wait what happens, who travels where. Sometimes I tag along, or if I hear of a nice place I go there. I've never been to a place, where my skills weren't useful."

1 hour ago, Vargo Seldon said:

When they arrived at the tavern, he shifted to human form to be able to sit in a chair more naturally.  He found that human form came easier, and looked more natural than it usually did.  He sighed.  His sentience wouldn't be happy until he and the bear solved their issues.  He walked over to the hulking beast, who was now enjoying a bowl of honey mead.  "Look," he said, "If one of my kind took someone or something from you, I'm truly sorry.  But holding a grudge doesn't help.  I know.  A demigod took everything that I had known, and mashed it up with everything else I had known.  A poor human cobbler, who liked woodworking, with a fierce wolf, who liked nature.  I still hold a large grudge against human deities, but I've only just started to realize.  It's not worth it.  You judge the individual not by what his kind did, but by the content of his character."

@Chasmfiend#1

Mutig stiffened, starring Algorath in the eye.

"Someone?" He asked, almost amused, "I've seen your kind in action, I witnessed a village murdered by one of you impures. Not because he was threatened, not to feed, not to make a statement. He did it because he could."

He looked deeper into Algoraths eyes, " I don't doubt your different, I simply have a problem accepting an animal that murders innocents just for the fun of it, and can you accept that? "

With that, Mutig went back to his drink.

@Vargo Seldon,

Just now, Chasmfiend#1 said:

Mutig stiffened, starring Algorath in the eye.

"Someone?" He asked, almost amused, "I've seen your kind in action, I witnessed a village murdered by one of you impures. Not because he was threatened, not to feed, not to make a statement. He did it because he could."

He looked deeper into Algoraths eyes, " I don't doubt your different, I simply have a problem accepting an animal that murders innocents just for the fun of it, and can you accept that? "

With that, Mutig went back to his drink.

@Vargo Seldon,

Algorath muttered in frustration.  "I'm different.  I didn't become this way the normal route.  I didn't start out as an ordinary beast. I was human once.  I've read your books.  I'm a learned Apex.  There are so many things that set me apart.  And once I evolve to monster, I'll be fully aware of both sides of my aspect.  Wolf and man.  At least I hope."  As he spoke, his anger came out.  His vocabulary degenerated, and his features took on a more wolf-like quality.  "Bah.  There's no convincing you.  Tomorrow, I leave for the census building, and will see the last of you.  The thought doesn't pain me in any way."  He turned his back, and headed to get another drink.

55 minutes ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Algorath muttered in frustration.  "I'm different.  I didn't become this way the normal route.  I didn't start out as an ordinary beast. I was human once.  I've read your books.  I'm a learned Apex.  There are so many things that set me apart.  And once I evolve to monster, I'll be fully aware of both sides of my aspect.  Wolf and man.  At least I hope."  As he spoke, his anger came out.  His vocabulary degenerated, and his features took on a more wolf-like quality.  "Bah.  There's no convincing you.  Tomorrow, I leave for the census building, and will see the last of you.  The thought doesn't pain me in any way."  He turned his back, and headed to get another drink.

Mutig snorted, the feelings mutual. finishing his drink, he stood and stretched.

"Welp, I'm off for a nap, shall I meet you guys here, or at the census?"

@Sorana, @Steel Inquisitive, @Vargo Seldon

Edited by Chasmfiend#1

4 minutes ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

Mutig snorted, the feelings neutral. finishing his drink, he stood and stretched.

"Welp, I'm off for a nap, shall I meet you guys here, or at the census?"

@Sorana @Steel Inquisitive @Vargo Seldon 

"I still don't know where that is."

Amara looked over at Jürgen and then back at Mutig.

"Let's go there together?"

@Steel Inquisitive

8 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Aldred looked up from his mug of mead as the bear made to stand.

"You're more than welcome to sleep under the tavern. There's an old stable quarter that Liezl uses to store the ale. You're welcome to it if you keep out of the casks."

@Chasmfiend#1

Mutig bowed his head in respect.

"Thank you, that will be a heavenly place compared to last night."

8 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"I still don't know where that is."

Amara looked over at Jürgen and then back at Mutig.

"Let's go there together?"

@Steel Inquisitive

"Yes." Did he say that too fast? He didn't want them to know, but he was terrified of the city.

@Chasmfiend#1

Edited by Steel Inquisitive

Mutig bowed his head in respect.

"Thank you, that will be a heavenly place compared to last night."

Aldred raised a brow.

"Kipped down in the Fens, I'd bet," he said, rolling his shoulders as a shiver went through him. That was a nasty place, dank and strange. The flooded old city was nowhere he ever wanted to be.

19 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Amara nodded relieved.

"So we'll wait for Mutig to wait up? Or do you want to go on your own, Mutig?"

@Steel Inquisitive

@Chasmfiend#1

"I had enough trouble on my own, I think it will work best  if we go together."

He glanced at Jügen, "I can meet you here early, or later at noon?"

@Sorana

@Steel Inquisitive

Algorath nodded to the rest of them, and headed back to the understreets to sleep.  He wouldn't want to bed down among so many people he didn't trust.  He walked back to his alley, and climbed a wall to a roost.  He then bedded down to sleep, letting his consciousness fight an ever-intensifying war in his head...

I don't know, I was just following their lead.  

And yes, a time skip seems appropriate.  I do want Algorath to notice another disappearance though.

@Sorana

Algorath got up, and stretched.  The group of homeless people below him had disturbed him all night with their laughing and drinking.  It must have been almost dawn when they had finally dosed off.  He looked down, and sure enough, they were still there.  lying by the remnants of their fire.  He was about to turn away, when something caught his eye.  Yes, he thought, there was five of them last night.  I remember counting.  But there was four people now.  Another disappearance.  He climbed down, and saw the same drop of blood where the man was sleeping.  It was exactly the same as last time, from a deep, artery wound.  He shivered.  Might he be next?  He was confident, however, that whatever was taking these normal men wouldn't catch an Apex such as himself unawares.  Still, it might be wise to take precautions the next night.  With his mind full, he headed off to the census building, shifting to human form automatically.

I might godmod you a little, but I can change it if you want

He walked out onto the busy streets, still cringing from the overwhelming press of bodies.  He saw the towering census building above the heads of the crowd (he was taller than most people anyway) and made for it.  He was about halfway there, when he noticed the folks he had talked to the night before.  They didn't exactly trust or like him, and vice versa, but they were the only people he knew.  He altered his course and drew up beside them, saying a few words of greeting.  As they walked, however, an arrow flew out of the midst of the crowd, bound for Algorath's heart.  He noticed it out of the corner of his eye, and his keen hunter's mind took action.  He dove for the ground, simultaneously whipping out a hand to swat the arrow out of the air.  He then rolled, coming up on his feet holding the arrow.  He inspected it, sniffed it, then tossed it away growling, "Looks like you're not the only one who hates me," to the Bear.

@Chasmfiend#1 @Sorana @Steel Inquisitive

1 hour ago, Vargo Seldon said:

He dove for the ground, simultaneously whipping out a hand to swat the arrow out of the air.  He then rolled, coming up on his feet holding the arrow.  He inspected it, sniffed it, then tossed it away growling, "Looks like you're not the only one who hates me," to the Bear.

It's alright for me, we'd agreed to meet in the morning and go to the census together. I'll wait with a reply though, so that we don't have a long lists of edits, as I don't know if one of the others wanted to rp something in the morning.

@Steel Inquisitive

@Chasmfiend#1

Jürgen kept checking his pockets as they pushed through the crowd. Even with the bear people were packed in tight around them. He glanced at the wolf-man and exchanged the morning pleasantries. 

An arrow snapped through the air. The wolf-man managed to smack it to the ground. Faster then he could comprehend he had his bow out, arrow pulled back, and was searching for a target. His magic was a small thing, but effective. He tried using his other sense, the one he didn't understand, but his enemy was too close for it to be of any use.

@Sorana @Vargo Seldon @Chasmfiend#1

Mutig snapped his head around, raising to his hind legs and searching the crowds. Another arrow clipped his shoulder, tangling into his fur.  tar arrows, why do they always use those! His looked down at Algorath

"He'll have to get in line." He said to Algorath . Then looked at Jügen.

"Want a higher view?" 

@Steel Inquisitive , @Vargo Seldon, @Sorana

Mutig snapped his head around, raising to his hind legs and searching the crowds. Another arrow clipped his shoulder, tangling into his fur.  tar arrows, why do they always use those! His looked down at Algorath

"He'll have to get in line." He said to Algorath . Then looked at Jügen.

"Want a higher view?" 

@Steel Inquisitive , @Vargo Seldon, @Sorana

Algorath chuckled wryly.  "Well, it looks like our resident deity will be able to pick him out easily enough.  It's not the first time, and you're not exactly the first in line."  He picked up the pace, and said, "Well, I'm off to the building, tell me if you have any luck."  He strode down the street, but something caught his eye.  A man selling trinkets off to one side.  Where have I seen that man before, he thought.  Why yes!  It was that epic hunt he went on with his pack!  He strode over to the man, and said in a confused voice, "Excuse me sir, but didn't you die?"

@Steel Inquisitive @Sorana @MacThorstenson

19 minutes ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Algorath chuckled wryly.  "Well, it looks like our resident deity will be able to pick him out easily enough.  It's not the first time, and you're not exactly the first in line."  He picked up the pace, and said, "Well, I'm off to the building, tell me if you have any luck."  He strode down the street, but something caught his eye.  A man selling trinkets off to one side.  Where have I seen that man before, he thought.  Why yes!  It was that epic hunt he went on with his pack!  He strode over to the man, and said in a confused voice, "Excuse me sir, but didn't you die?"

@Steel Inquisitive @Sorana @MacThorstenson

Thorstein stood up from where he was packing up when a man approached him.

"Excuse me sir, but didn't you die?" Thorsteins eyes widened. Definitely an adventure happening.

"Well, I don't think so. Because I am very much alive. But my death has been faked numerous times for a number of reasons. You will have to be specific." 

Amara jumped in surprise when something flew at them, only to realize, there had been no danger at all. While she tried to grasp, that he had just snatched an arrow out of the air, a second one flew at Mutig and got stick in his fur.

"Are you hurt?"

She asked and stared at the arrow, to see if he was bleeding. Only then did she realize, that maybe she was a possible target as well and looked around, tried to find the one shooting the arrows. All around her people glowed softly, that man over tvere, she would need to find him, she could help him. But he was gone before she could see his face.

@Chasmfiend#1

@Steel Inquisitive

@Vargo Seldon