Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kingsdaughter613

Amusia

5 posts in this topic

So, I came across a WoB where he says that, if someone who was colorblind gained Breath, colors would still saturate but the color blindness would not be fixed. It occurred to me, what would that mean for someone with true Amusia?

Ideas?

I'm not sure that it's fully comparable to color blindness, as that just is an inability to differentiate certain colors from others. Amusia would probably more closely compared with true blindness, where there would be no noticeable affect on hearing at all. Your brain would just lack the structure necessary for the breaths to amplify your tone perception.

Amusia is the inability to hear the difference in pitch and tone in music. They can hear differences in speech. So it’s more like color blindness, where certain colors can’t be perceived; people with amusia can’t percieve certain types of tonal changes. Interestingly, this indicates that music is not processed by the same part of the brain that processes speech.

I should ask that if I get the leather bound Warbreaker...

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Interestingly, this indicates that music is not processed by the same part of the brain that processes speech.

It isn't. This is one of the reasons that singing is used to help deal with stuttering. Most people with that issue can sing without any problem, and linking those to portions of the brain through practice can actually help overcome the speech issue. 

Edited by Calderis

This is also why humans remember songs better then spoken words.