Arithmancy

Karger

Hello everyone I have been having fun making this magic system for a while and I just want to hear suggestions.  I am not a writer and I doubt that I will have a chance to use this but it is a fun thought experiment.

I am not sure what powers this magic system but I have decided that when attempting to access some kind of magic the mage will be given a math question based on what they are attempting to accomplish.

Arithmetic

Adding: used for healing

Subtracting: used for harming

Multiplication: used for increasing another magical effect

Division: Used for decreasing another magical effect

Geometry: Used for localizing an area effect

Algebra: Used for conjuration

Logarithms and Exponents: Used to grow or shrink physical objects

Graphing: Used for teleportation

Functions: Used for creating or managing ley lines along which long range powerful spells can be manipulated

Trigonometry: Used for basic divination

Calculus: Used for the location and use of sub ley lines as well as some higher level divination

That is what I have so far. Anyone have any ideas on additional capabilities or what powers this stuff?

This sounds awesome! You could maybe use absolute value to determine if something is an illusion or not (not sure what math thing you’d use for one) or maybe is someone is evil/negative. Ooh, you could have negatives and positives! Negatives being evil people and positives being good. Although now that I think about it you would have to reverse the roles of positive and negative for the AV thing to work.

Edited by Lunamor

Negative is where people go when they die.  It is possible to bring them back through the right knowledge of manipulating negative numbers either partially or completely.  This is why killing a powerful Arithmatist is basically impossible and so instead they are trapped in numerical prisons.

Edited by Karger

1 minute ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Math. Like, you write down an equation, then the energy from the equation is stored up and released.

That would to easily allow limitless energy.  Basically anyone who did well in high school math would have the energy to destroy the universe.

15 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Darn. Maybe they can be countered with another illusion then? I dunno.

Taking the absolute value of an illusion will get you a real number that you can manipulate I am also thinking that numbers can be distilled out of nature by a skilled Arithmatist and used to create stuff.

Edited by Karger

• 1 month later...

If you're still looking for the magic behind the magic kind of thing, like sources and stuff, you could say the universe has a resonant frequency or something, something absolutely massive, and the math problems get stronger the more you know of the things around you and their relation back to it.

19 hours ago, Karger said:

Intriguing.  Care to elaborate?

Think of the universe this is set in like a massive chunk of metal for this example. Most metals have a resonant frequency that can damage them, sometimes going as far as atomic dissolution. Now imagine the universe in question has one of these. A large enough number that no person could ever know it, but everything relates back to it. The better you understand the relation, the more you can do. Strike the tuning fork of the universe, in a way, and harvest the energy that results from that to reshape the world around you according to your desire, helpfully directed by the very equation you use to garner the energy in the first place.

44 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Think of the universe this is set in like a massive chunk of metal for this example. Most metals have a resonant frequency that can damage them, sometimes going as far as atomic dissolution. Now imagine the universe in question has one of these. A large enough number that no person could ever know it, but everything relates back to it. The better you understand the relation, the more you can do. Strike the tuning fork of the universe, in a way, and harvest the energy that results from that to reshape the world around you according to your desire, helpfully directed by the very equation you use to garner the energy in the first place.

So, under this system the more you did magic the more magic you could use.