AonEne

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/12/2021 at 10:13 AM, Tani said:

Unfortunately both our Dustbringer slots are taken, but you can be a Skybreaker, Truthwatcher, or Edgedancer!

On 3/21/2021 at 1:15 PM, Random Bystander said:

"Um, yes. It's really creepy. It's called Awakening."

"Awakening." She pursed her lips. "I'd love to learn about all this later, and I bet some of the others would too, but I have to chat with someone else real quick, okay?"

"So you've said," Cassie agreed, nodding. "If there's anything we can do for you until the police get here, let us know." She hesitated, considering saying she was sorry again about the younger girl's parents, but decided that reminding her might make it worse if she'd gotten distracted. She smiled at her, then made her way over to Shana and mouthed, Let's go upstairs. 

@Sorana 

• 5 weeks later...

Got a few announcements to throw some action back in...

Dapper has given permission for Doc to be used as needed for the plot.

I think the poll is, uh, fairly definitive at this point, so we're moving to full RoW spoilers.

And Ap, if you're interested in RPs...

well crap, Cass is waiting on three inactive people. Wyn don't feel pressure if you're busy

@Apollyon @I think I am here. @Wyndlerunner

Cassie went up before Shana, letting her follow at her own pace. Thoughts flickering between the new arrivals, she knocked at James's door. "Hey James? Could I talk to Rob for a sec?"

5 hours ago, AonEne said:

@Apollyon @I think I am here. @Wyndlerunner

Cassie went up before Shana, letting her follow at her own pace. Thoughts flickering between the new arrivals, she knocked at James's door. "Hey James? Could I talk to Rob for a sec?"

James stood up, and hoped his eyes didn't look too red from the silent weeping. I have to be strong for them he thought, repeating it like a Buddhist mantra in his head. My friends rely on me for support, and I want to be there for them. He walked past Rob, and opened the door. "Hey Cass", he said, trying to seem nonchalant, but knowing deep down he was visibly shaken. "Come on in"

• 4 weeks later...

Just a slightly delayed response from me in case anybody wants to continue :rolleyes:

And if only like one or two of us want to continue we could easily just timeskip 20 years in the future and say everybody else’s characters have died by then, turn it into a Logan-esque sort of deal y’know? :ph34r:

Something alive in the sphere. Meaningless lies, thrown out with the same ease Doc had lied to them all. With the same ease everybody lied to each other, patting themselves on the back for doing nothing but going to school and killing just enough Voidbringers to never make a difference. He felt a knock on the door behind him and suddenly had the urge to punch straight through it, to channel what he felt into some sort of tangible effect. But he pushed the feelings into the sphere, and watched another crack creep down its surface.

Cassie. James let her in the room. Rob stood still, not bothering to hide the Voidbringer’s sphere he still clutched in his hands.

“Hi, Cassie,” he said tersely, inhaling a sphere of stormlight almost instinctively. Defensively.

.@AonEne

@Wyndlerunner

• 2 weeks later...

Shana wasn't following. Cassie bit her tongue and nodded to James, following in. It seemed that with every second that passed their family got less...she didn't know how to describe it, but she didn't like it.

"Hey, guys, thanks," she said, forcing a smile onto her face. "I'll just cut to the point - Rob, what were you and Shana doing in Doc's office?"

@Wyndlerunner @I think I am here.

4 hours ago, AonEne said:

Shana wasn't following. Cassie bit her tongue and nodded to James, following in. It seemed that with every second that passed their family got less...she didn't know how to describe it, but she didn't like it.

"Hey, guys, thanks," she said, forcing a smile onto her face. "I'll just cut to the point - Rob, what were you and Shana doing in Doc's office?"

@Wyndlerunner @I think I am here.

James caught the look in Cassie's eyes and tried his hardest not to grimace. When had they come to this? When had their little family become so distrusting? He thought he noticed a slight smoky glow rising from Rob's skin as well. What in the name of Lights is going on? James thought, as his hand also instinctively went toward the pen in his pocket that became the strange, black Shardblade that had nearly killed him when he tried to use it. 

When Cassie leveled her accusatory question to Rob, James' jaw dropped, as he looked from Rob to Cassie, and mouthed to her "What in the world is going on?" But James thought he already knew the answer. A division was creeping amidst their ranks, and whether or not Rob's strange black sphere was the root cause, James seemed to instinctively know that a division among the Knights Radiant could only lead to dark times. What wicked thing of eminence creeps among my family? He thought, nearly speaking the words aloud. What he did do, however, was step between the two, and shot an intense glare at both of them. "I don't know the root of this, but I won't have this division lead to violence. Rob, let go of that Stormlight you're holding, before I take it from you." Can I actually do that, can I go through with that bluff? He asked the Nightwatcher, who simply replied with a curious, I don't know, why don't we find out? 

Edited by Wyndlerunner

On 6/22/2021 at 9:24 AM, Wyndlerunner said:

What he did do, however, was step between the two, and shot an intense glare at both of them. "I don't know the root of this, but I won't have this division lead to violence. Rob, let go of that Stormlight you're holding, before I take it from you." Can I actually do that, can I go through with that bluff? He asked the Nightwatcher, who simply replied with a curious, I don't know, why don't we find out? 

Oh no, civil war? :ph34r: 

Cassie looked up sharply when James moved between them, glaring, and frowned back. "Violence? Dude. I wasn't exactly planning on it." One hand moved unconsciously in a flicking motion, as if to bat away his worry. "Why, you got some Bondsmith future-telling that says this is gonna go bad? We can't be that far gone yet." She winced at her word choice and backpedaled. "We're not gone at all. Whatever that means. Whatever this is, we'll deal with it." 

7 hours ago, AonEne said:

Cassie looked up sharply when James moved between them, glaring, and frowned back. "Violence? Dude. I wasn't exactly planning on it." One hand moved unconsciously in a flicking motion, as if to bat away his worry. "Why, you got some Bondsmith future-telling that says this is gonna go bad? We can't be that far gone yet." She winced at her word choice and backpedaled. "We're not gone at all. Whatever that means. Whatever this is, we'll deal with it." 

James nodded in response to Cassie's remarks. "She's right, we're not gone yet. I can't help but feel that if this division among us continues to spread, it will only lead us into darker places." He turned and looked at Rob, trying to keep his expression that perfect mixture of empathetic and stern, "Let go of the Stormlight, Rob, nobody here is trying to hurt you."

@I think I am here.

On 24/06/2021 at 11:25 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

James nodded in response to Cassie's remarks. "She's right, we're not gone yet. I can't help but feel that if this division among us continues to spread, it will only lead us into darker places." He turned and looked at Rob, trying to keep his expression that perfect mixture of empathetic and stern, "Let go of the Stormlight, Rob, nobody here is trying to hurt you."

Rob watched the two of them in silence. Division. Darker places. At James' words, he silently let go of the Stormlight, letting it seep from him in thin, wispy lines. Something had been different about all of them these past few days. The air was tense and silent, as if preparing for a storm.

He turned to Cassie and spoke coldly to her. She didn't deserve that, but for some reason Rob couldn't feel anything else. "Doc lied to us. Shana and I wanted to know the truth. Why this war hadn't ended yet. The only way to get answers was to enter his room."

He glanced back at James. Ever the diplomat. Framed with the window behind him, it almost looked to Rob as if he had a halo of light around him. The Bondsmith. The one who was supposed to unite them all, when more and more things felt like they were coming apart.

"This... it's all going to end," he said to Cassie and James. "I will not stand back and let new Radiants come as old Radiants die. I will not let the cycle replay itself while no ground is gained, remaining static until we either die or delay the issue for the next generation."

He paused. "There's no need for division or dark times. We're still a family, and I know that you can't be blamed for what's been happening. But now that you know, you have to see the truth. We have to..."

He faltered, unsure of how to explain himself, but Shana's words echoed in his head and for a moment that was all he could see. Shana in front of him, eyes burning bright with drive and ambition, their minds linked a joined cause only they could understand and no one else. True warriors. True Radiants.

"We have to change the board. End it for good."

@AonEne

@Wyndlerunner

Edited by I think I am here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 6:17 AM, I think I am here. said:

"We have to change the board. End it for good." 

Cassie watched as the Stormlight wafted away from him, and relaxed a little bit. Okay. Okay, no fights today. She really didn't want this to go anywhere bad. (She hated that she had to think that at all.) 

"Change the board," she echoed warily. "What do you mean Doc lied to you? I don't want kids to keep dying either, I don't want this war, but what would we even do that we haven't been already?" 

6 hours ago, AonEne said:

“Change the board," she echoed warily. "What do you mean Doc lied to you? I don't want kids to keep dying either, I don't want this war, but what would we even do that we haven't been already?" 

“Find the Voidbringers who keep ordering attacks against us and kill them,” said Rob without a second’s pause. “Stop waiting for them to attack us, and take the first step.”

He stopped, hesitating for a moment.

“There’s another Radiant group,” he said, looking to Cassie. “In Seattle. They were in communication with Doc, asking if he had any Radiants he could send over. A whole other group. And they’re going out of their way to hunt down Voidbringers. Not just hostile Voidbringers, but ordinary ones too. Going about their lives, just like we do.”

He paused to let the words sink in, then continued.

“There are Voidbringers who want to continue the war, and then there’s this second group of Radiants. If we want peace, we have to eliminate both groups. No discrimination.”

Not sure how canon the ‘second Radiant group’ thing is now, me and Sorana made it so that Doc would have a secret and we could have a reason to make Rob and Shana do something drastic :P

On 7/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, I think I am here. said:

“There’s another Radiant group,” he said, looking to Cassie. “In Seattle. They were in communication with Doc, asking if he had any Radiants he could send over. A whole other group. And they’re going out of their way to hunt down Voidbringers. Not just hostile Voidbringers, but ordinary ones too. Going about their lives, just like we do.”

“There are Voidbringers who want to continue the war, and then there’s this second group of Radiants. If we want peace, we have to eliminate both groups. No discrimination.”

"That's -" Her mouth was dry; she shook her head. "That sounds like a lot of death that I'm not sure we want. Even if you're sure that these other Radiants are really going after - after innocents -" Can Voidbringers be innocent? Are there some that don't go to war? "That's a lot to ask, even for the end of a war. For freedom. Why not just ask this other group, one which we've never before heard about, what they're doing? Or ask Doc?" 

*2 years ago*

James reclined back against a large oak tree, the shade dappled as a light breeze swept through the boughs, and Theo sat down beside him. In the distance, seas of wildflowers sprung up around decrepit gazebos, and a river that curved too perfectly to natural cut its way through the landscape. Once, this place had been a botanical garden, but when the founders started realizing that they were losing more money than they were making, they closed it. Despite the long years since the garden's closure, nobody had quite been able to bring themselves to tear it down; so it had been left to grow more wild, and for that James was thankful, after all, this was his favorite place to come with Theo, who had proven himself to be James's best friend.

Normally, when they came here, they relaxed, they discussed books, anime, and all of those shared interests that had led them to bond in the first place. Today, however, Theo took a more serious turn. "James, what is leadership?" he asked, not an ounce of levity in his expression. James looked over at him and rolled his eyes, "Theo, just because you made first chair doesn't mean you have to start pondering the philosophy of leadership." he said, giving him the look that was supposed to signal when Theo was taking something too seriously. Theo looked back over at him with a wry grin, "thanks, man", he said, "but this isn't about that at all. So my question still stands." 

James looked up through the branches of the tree, shading his eyes against the sunlight, "I don't know, but I think a leader is someone who can help people become their best selves." He finally answered, prompting a good natured laugh from Theo, "That is so like you, dude. But I think your definition is missing something: A leader doesn't always make others happy. Sometimes leadership means having to do the right thing, even if it won't make everyone happy." 

That had been their last conversation. 

*The Present Day*

On 7/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, I think I am here. said:

“Find the Voidbringers who keep ordering attacks against us and kill them,” said Rob without a second’s pause. “Stop waiting for them to attack us, and take the first step.”

He stopped, hesitating for a moment.

He paused to let the words sink in, then continued.

Rob's proposition sent a tangible chill through the otherwise temperate room, and James could practically feel the color drain from his face. "Rob," he said, quietly, unable to keep the horror from his face, "That's suggesting we commit mass murder. In fact, it's nigh unto genocide!" James had always tried his hardest to be a force of mediation; someone who could provide a level of emotional steadiness to any issue. At times, he'd been called a 'people pleaser' or a doormat, he'd been so determined to help others achieve what they wanted. Not now though, in this moment, the chill in the room shifted, from icy pragmatism to cold steel, the steel of James's determination. "I know you feel hurt, Rob, and I know you feel like we're caught in a cycle." James met Rob's eyes, grim, pained, but willing to do what needed to be done, "If you attempt to go through with this, I will do what it takes to stop you." His memory went back to that day beneath the oak tree, and the words of a dear friend. "Because I'm a leader... and that means doing what's right, even if it means I can't make everyone happy. As much as that hurts, I will do it."

James inhaled Stormlight in what felt like a massive amount, and even in the daylight he could see the wisps of Light rising from his skin, bright like luminescent smoke. These Words are Accepted The Nightwatcher said, reverently. The Fifth Ideal of the Bondsmiths, the truest burden of leadership, and at the same time, its greatest honor. Thank you, Theo James thought, You were, as usual, right. "Please Rob, don't go through with this." he said, calm, but firm, "This isn't who you are. Stonewards aren't supposed to be emotionless, they're supposed to be dependable, loyal, stand by the people who care about them." James didn't know how he knew that last part, but it seemed like something Rob needed to hear. 

@AonEne

Loved that post, Wyn!

It was hard to keep it all down. Hard to push his feelings back where they came. Rob felt even more of his emotions seep into the dark sphere, feeding whatever was inside. It could take his anger. Take his sadness. Take his pain. Again, he felt the cool sensation of numbness creeping over his body. Not calmness; calmness itself was an emotion. It was a void of feeling, one that hadn't consumed Rob yet, but one he welcomed all the same.

"Aren't you tired of 'talking', Cassie?" He suddenly snapped at her, the mask slipping for just a second, before he stood up straight and let his anger flow back into the sphere. His next words were cool as ice. "All we do is talk. Talk to Doc, talk to each other, talk to the Voidbringers. We discuss plans and strategies and half-hearted promises to be better, but what's the use? When has diplomacy ever worked for us anyway? Does anyone ever try to talk to us?"

He tried to continue but James started talking and Rob turned to him, took in the words. James, of all people, was standing against him. Rob watched him glow with stormlight, listened as his words seemed to echo through the room. An Ideal. And it was sworn in opposition to Rob.

"Don't you dare use my ideals against me," he said, stepping back, another flame of feeling bursting through his words, then shut down again. He was slipping. The mask was crumbling. "I am loyal. I am dependable. I stand where others fall. Even if it means I do the things everyone else can't. Take the burden so none of you have to."

He looked desperately back to Cassie.

"You agree, right?" he asked. "You don't think I'm wrong, do you?"

@AonEne

@Wyndlerunner

Can I please be a Truthwatcher?

I want to play this, but I also don't want to catch up with 275 pages of posts. Do I need much prior knowledge?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 1:45 AM, Elf_at_heart said:

Can I please be a Truthwatcher?

I want to play this, but I also don't want to catch up with 275 pages of posts. Do I need much prior knowledge?

Absolutely! 

Basically just what's in the OP :D you can walk up to the front door and...someone will probably answer it, if we've got anyone downstairs right now. The magic systems are on Earth, the Realms are as well but we haven't worldbuilt them much, the Shards don't exist. 

Very sorry for the delay; I was having writer's block and finally decided to get to Elf before you lost all hope and hated me forevermore and put Cassie in my next post. Sorry for that, Wyn and Itiah! 

20 hours ago, AonEne said:

Yay! Do I get to name my character and work out the details? And btw, I could never hate you. You're amazing.

Ok, you know what, I'm just gonna go for this thing and hope that its allowed.

Name- Artemis Hunter

Spren Name- Felix

Age-17

Gender- Female

Abilities-Illumination and Progression. She is quite adept at her surges and has been training with them since she 14 when she said the Ideals.

Appearance- Short black bob. White, pale skin. Eyes so dark brown, they look black. 5'8 in height. Models herself after the grunge look of the nineties. Always wearing black. She wears jeans and tshirts all the time. She also wears band tshirts. Her only shoes are combat boots. Her only makeup is black eyeliner that she wears under her eyes.

Personality- Lover of books and of fantasy. Has always been a beliver in fantastical things and so it wasn't hard for her to accept that surgebinding existed. She is a quite person and not the one to to argue. She hates lies and has never told one. She'd rather speak the terrible truth. She has a silent contempt for everyone, but looking at her you'd never notice it. She will never argue with you, but only because she doesn't want to waste her time. Her disdain is evident in her eyes and her microexpressions. She has a dark heart and dark personality. She isn't a saint.

Backstory: Parents died when she was tweleve, though nobody knows how. Except for her, of course. But she isn't telling. Hopped around from place to place for a while before she started going to whatever school these other characters are going to when she was 16.

Edited by Elf_at_heart

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, everyone! Sorry it's been so long. A bunch of stuff happened, and then I lost my login info, so that wasn't fun. It probably isn't too relevant either, now that I think about it.

The point is, I'd like to get back into TKND, but it's been so long since I've done anything I'm not sure if I could use Evelyn as a character anymore. If Evelyn was removed from the character list, would I be able to make a new character to use? Thanks. Sorry for not putting any actual content in this, but like I said, it's been so long I'd have no idea where everyone even was. If I'm able to make a new character, I can probably edit in what happened with the character to make it so she's no longer involved.

Edit: Never mind! I was able to read through what I missed, which was. . . surprisingly little. I should be able to bring Evelyn back fine, if this is still active, and just use the other character idea for TKNG. Hopefully this doesn't ruin anyone's plans. . .

Evelyn woke to the sound of pattering feet speeding across the floor and something rather like a hiss, and her heart jumped. She bolted upright, eyes wide, until at last she recognized her room. No, not her room. A guest room, but one that was familiar enough after the amount of time she'd spent there. Pale walls, a desk in one corner, along with a small bookshelf and a window. She could hear raised voices somewhere in the house, too distant to make out the words, but the voices themselves were familiar and raised in what seemed from the tone to be an argument rather than another battle. No danger.

Her shoulders slumped in a wave of relief, and she drew in a deep breath of air. What may have been her first actual breath since that jolt of panic, Evelyn realized, and couldn't help but smile at herself. It was silly to be so worked up. There was nothing to be afraid of, right? The attack on the house had probably been a one time thing, and anyways, people would have woken her up if there was any kind of a threat, right? If they hadn't that must mean they thought they could deal with it, and judging from what Evelyn had seen, they probably could. She'd been the weak link in the fight, not them.

If that was the case, though, what was it that had woken her?

Evelyn got carefully to her feet, instinctively feeling for he maple leaf necklace and running her thumb over one pointed leaf. Still there. Good. She wouldn't freak anyone out, or accidentally reveal herself as an Elantrian.

The room was still empty, but she could have sworn she'd heard something. After a moment's pause, she dropped down to look under the bed. She hadn't expected to see anything but darkness. Instead, Evelyn was met with two glowing eyes. She broke into a smile at the sight of them, scooting back a little so as not to crowd the poor thing. "Hey, kitty. I didn't realize there was a cat in the house. How are you?" She began to tap her fingers against the ground, trying to draw the cat into the open. "Probably not too great if earlier was any indication." She threw a glance over he shoulder at the still open door. "Is the arguing stressing you out?"

When she looked back, it was to find the cat out from under the bed, watching her carefully. It was scrawny, but obviously lovely, with a ale gray coloring. Evelyn smiled again, switching to petting the cat instead. "You must be pretty clever to come in here, huh? Definitely no arguing going on in here. Can I call you Ene? That's an Aon it means cleverness, something I bet you have in spades." After another moment spent petting the cat, Evelyn stood, scooping the Ene into her arms. The cat tensed for a moment before relaxing and even starting to purr. "Aww. You're a cutie. Let's see if we can get you some food."

The smile slid from her face, however, when she turned a corner to see Rob, Cassie and James standing in the hall, clearly arguing. "You agree, right? You don't think I'm wrong, do you?"

Evelyn hadn't spent much time around Rob with everything that had been going on, but she was pretty sure that was the most emotion she'd ever heard him express. He sounded. . . pleading. Almost desperate, and Evelyn suddenly got the feeling she'd walked into something she really shouldn't have. Too late to go back now, though. They must have seen her by now, so instead she braced herself, clutching Ene just a little closer, and prepared to enter an argument that she was in no way prepared for.

"Guys," she said slowly. "What's going on?"

@AonEne @Wyndlerunner @I think I am here.

Edited by WrathofaShardKitten
Avoiding the dreaded double post.

• 6 months later...

Well, I'm down for a nice revival party if anyone else is?

James both welcomed and bemoaned Evelyn's entrance into the fray. The part of him that really was welcome for an excuse to change the subject was quite happy for the interruption, but he'd also been hoping to actually settle things here with Rob and Cass, as well as keep it on the downlow. Well, I suppose I am a true Bondsmith now he thought, chagrined. It had been some time since Doc had provided any active leadership to their little group, and slowly, without even realizing it, James had begun to take his place. Leadership was as terrifying as it had always been for him, but he thought Theo would have been proud of his newfound confidence. James shot Evelyn a look that he hoped said 'Listen, now really isn't the time, I'll catch you up later', and turned back to Rob. "Listen, Rob" he said, "I understand how you must feel. Doc's been keeping this from all of us, and I think we all have a right to feel hurt by it." He clenched his fist, and replaced his sympathetic tone with an air of steely finality "But I will absolutely not support this plan. Our burdens are ours. My burdens are my own, and I will not have you claim to take my burdens upon you as an excuse to act selfishly. We need to meet in some form of counsel to determine what the desires of all of the Invested in this Enclave feel to be right in regards to the war. Personally, I would have us remove ourselves from the conflict. Go deeper underground if need be. But I will not condone genocide, no matter how you sugarcoat it with justifications." 

Ooh tension and conflict is building.

@AonEne @WrathofaShardKitten @I think I am here.