AonEne

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/11/2021 at 6:28 AM, I think I am here. said:

James sank to the ground and Rob remained standing only through sheer force of will. He’d be weak if he collapsed, weak if he gave in. He’d risked that, looking weak, here, with James. He’d - barely - been able to open up to someone who was supposed to help him. Who was supposed to be able to help him grow, by removing his issues.

But James was on the floor and Rob felt a burst of emotions hitting him all at once. Desperation. Sadness. Anger. He’d helped out so many times, he’d helped fight Voidbringers, had even opened up and James couldn’t even do the one thing Rob asked of him? The thoughts swirled and boiled in his mind until —

James,” he spat out resentfully, preparing a yell.

YOU —”

And then it was gone, the anger ripped from him

Rob shot his eyes towards the dark sphere in his hand, which now was ice cold, painfully so. He raised it up and and saw a long crack running down its surface. His thoughts were in a mess, and his emotions still ran rampant... but something had happened. He still felt like a bucket full of emotions he didn’t want, but he didn’t feel like he was overflowing anymore. At least, not yet.

You’re welcome.

He regained his composure quickly, the hate he’d felt at James gone, the emotions no longer clouding his actions. He stared at James, the Bondsmith who’d warned him about his sphere. But it had helped him.

“I... am sorry,” he said, for once perfectly monotone. Now it was him who rested a hand on James’ shoulder. “I should not have disturbed you.”

James sniveled once, and looked up at Rob, "No, Rob, it's not your fault, I wish I had something that could help you with how you're feeling." he sighed, finally feeling settled again. "But do listen to my advice about that sphere." he said, "It may not seem it, but I can't help but feel foreboded by the prospect of something alive inside that thing."

On 2/24/2021 at 8:55 PM, Random Bystander said:

She grinned. "Your house is awesome! My house is normal, except for the greenhouse in the backyard."

"Yeah, it is pretty great," Cassie said, grinning back. "Sometimes I forget, cause I've lived here so long. But it's definitely, well, home." As much a home as the one I was born in. "Greenhouse, huh? What do you grow?"

28 minutes ago, AonEne said:

"Yeah, it is pretty great," Cassie said, grinning back. "Sometimes I forget, cause I've lived here so long. But it's definitely, well, home." As much a home as the one I was born in. "Greenhouse, huh? What do you grow?"

"We don't grow anything. It's there so that I can safely practice sand mastery, even if it is rainy. If the sand gets wet, it turns white. Then you have to wait for the sun to turn it white again."

On 2/13/2021 at 9:37 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

James sniveled once, and looked up at Rob, "No, Rob, it's not your fault, I wish I had something that could help you with how you're feeling." he sighed, finally feeling settled again. "But do listen to my advice about that sphere." he said, "It may not seem it, but I can't help but feel foreboded by the prospect of something alive inside that thing."

James leaned back against his bed, head resting on the side of his mattress. James? The Nightwatcher asked, Why does it hurt you so? You have done all in your power to help him, so why do you blame yourself for being unable to do what cannot be done. James didn't respond. He'd heard the others speak about being broken, and it was something about that fact that had left them able to bond their spren, and become Radiant. James had never quite understood that, until now. Otherwise, what was this feeling, this intense sense of powerlessness that washed over him? So it was that for the first time in his life, James knew what it meant to be broken. Helpless. The Words James, The Nightwatcher said, You draw ever closer to knowing them, don't you?

On 2/26/2021 at 1:57 PM, Random Bystander said:

"We don't grow anything. It's there so that I can safely practice sand mastery, even if it is rainy. If the sand gets wet, it turns white. Then you have to wait for the sun to turn it white again."

Cassie blinked. "So the sun is the source of the sand's power? That makes sense, I guess. It has a lot of power," she said awkwardly. "Do you know many other sand masters?" 

6 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Cassie blinked. "So the sun is the source of the sand's power? That makes sense, I guess. It has a lot of power," she said awkwardly. "Do you know many other sand masters?" 

"Yeah!" She then thought for a moment before replying to the next question. "Yeah, of course. In the Diem I was trained in, there were at least 50 others. Typically, we keep to ourselves. We're basically an anti-terrorism group." She grinned. "I haven't been able to complete my training yet, but I have Masteral potential." She said proudly.

20 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

"Yeah!" She then thought for a moment before replying to the next question. "Yeah, of course. In the Diem I was trained in, there were at least 50 others. Typically, we keep to ourselves. We're basically an anti-terrorism group." She grinned. "I haven't been able to complete my training yet, but I have Masteral potential." She said proudly.

"Good for you!" Cassie exclaimed automatically, her big-sister mode kicking in despite the fact that she had no idea what a Mastrell was. Then she frowned. "Wait, anti-terrorism...like, you work for the government?" 

Just now, AonEne said:

"Good for you!" Cassie exclaimed automatically, her big-sister mode kicking in despite the fact that she had no idea what a Mastrell was. Then she frowned. "Wait, anti-terrorism...like, you work for the government?" 

"Kind of." She smiled. "We are more like a specialized police force. There are different magic threats out there, and my Diem focuses on the human ones." She grinned. "I don't have to worry about that yet. I'm still in training." 

Could she know about Awakening?

34 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

"Kind of." She smiled. "We are more like a specialized police force. There are different magic threats out there, and my Diem focuses on the human ones." She grinned. "I don't have to worry about that yet. I'm still in training." 

Could she know about Awakening?

With where she's from, that seems plausible. 

"Then...how public is magic where you're from?" She studied the younger girl. 

26 minutes ago, AonEne said:

"Then...how public is magic where you're from?" She studied the younger girl. 

I have an idea for the political climate in those areas, if you want to hear it.

"Pretty darn public. We keep it hidden from outsiders, but most locals know about it."

5 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

"Pretty darn public. We keep it hidden from outsiders, but most locals know about it."

Definitely, we don't have much for that yet! 

Cassie's mouth opened and closed. A place where magic was just...known. "I'm sorry for questioning you when you just came out of a traumatic experience, honey," she said after a moment, "but how many countries...?" 

Just now, AonEne said:

Cassie's mouth opened and closed. A place where magic was just...known. "I'm sorry for questioning you when you just came out of a traumatic experience, honey," she said after a moment, "but how many countries...?" 

"Well, Sand Mastery is common in the Sahara and Gobi deserts." She paused. "And... We know of another type of magic." She said, seeming hesitant. 

Spoiler

Okay. I'll put it into a spoiler. 

Spoiler
  1. The Sahara Sand Masters and Gobi Sand Masters work together.
  2. The Egyptian society used to be based on breath, and the Pharaohs were returned. This makes sense, because they believed that their Pharaohs were gods. (Think Hallandren.) They hide awakening today, but most locals know about it.
  3. The Saudi Arabian society was like Idris, and believed that Awakening is bad. They know about, and completely ignore Awakening.
  4. The Egyptian and Saudi Arabian societies got into lots of wars, and are currently leaving each other alone.
  5. The Egyptian society and the Sahara and Gobi Sand Masters have a peace treaty. 
  6. The Sand Masters are kind of freaked out by Egypt's "zombie army".
  7. The Saudi Arabian society doesn't know the Sand Masters exist, but the Sand Masters do know that they exist.

Can someone please explain why Silverlight is in Perth? I don't know how to search a single thread, and 274 pages is a bit much.

I live there and I see no correlation except perhaps the isolation. I wouldn't say many of our universities were too well regarded in a national/international context except for certain courses, and it's arguable that many of them are going downhill before Covid hit and caused layoffs/course cuts. 

Also, why does Australia cop the disease based magic system?

Edited by jamesbondsmith

1 hour ago, jamesbondsmith said:

Because Australia is the dangerous scorpion place. Honestly we could move that to China and have different Japanese islands have Forgery and Bloodsealing, but it works how it is.

Edited by The Unknown Order

2 hours ago, jamesbondsmith said:

Can someone please explain why Silverlight is in Perth? I don't know how to search a single thread, and 274 pages is a bit much.

I live there and I see no correlation except perhaps the isolation. I wouldn't say many of our universities were too well regarded in a national/international context except for certain courses, and it's arguable that many of them are going downhill before Covid hit and caused layoffs/course cuts. 

We were also trying to spread the various magic systems out around the world, so that a few countries or continents didn't get all the love.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Umm, so I have proved to be very, very bad at reading as of late. But I don't want to miss the ending to this even though I haven't finished RoW, so I'll try to start posting again while I work my way through that. 

Just a tiny little question though. Is the second Willshaper ideal shown in the book?

Edwin was walking along a street, somewhere. He had made his escape after that incident with the door. There were questions, definitely, but they could wait. He didn't consider himself to be particularly shy, but there had been maybe one too many new faces today, plus the new possible but not quite threat of a guy with stone skin. After all that he just felt like taking a stroll alone.

Ed felt something stinging on his cheek. 

Alright, with his spren. Though, looking around him he decided it was about time to come back. He didn't recognize the street, so that was a good sign that he had walked for a good while. At this rate he would have the entire city memorized in a few years. 

"That was very rude you know." said Twin a while later, when they were arriving at the house. 

"You go and introduce yourself ten times in a day." he replied opening the door and with a glance inside noticed even more new faces. "See?" 

Edited by Eluvianii

On 3/20/2021 at 4:07 AM, Eluvianii said:

Just a tiny little question though. Is the second Willshaper ideal shown in the book?

It is.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:41 AM, Random Bystander said:

"Well, Sand Mastery is common in the Sahara and Gobi deserts." She paused. "And... We know of another type of magic." She said, seeming hesitant.

"Another one?" Cassie winced. How many types are out there in the world? She waved hello to Edwin.