AonEne

Ayalin was slowly wandering her way through the halls towards her final class of the day, fingers drumming against the book she had in one hand, and her eyes darting around the hallway. Her other hand occasionally patted a pocket, feeling the comforting shapes of the few coins.

Pewter burned softly inside her, ready to flare at a moment's notice, and all of her other metals ready either within her, or in small vials in her other pocket.

She was always watching the people around her, trying to find... Something. Someone like Ayalin herself, perhaps, but more likely someone who just... Fit. She'd never had a true, solid friend who understood her before. Just her. Not her books, not her strange views or her quirkiness. Just her.

Two minutes to the bell.

Aya spotted someone. She was walking, head down, a little tense, eyes occasionally darting up. Aya had seen her before, but they had never spoken. She strained, trying to come up with the girl's name, but got nothing.

She shivered, thinking of just starting a random conversation with someone out of the blue with nothing to say.

Stealing herself, Aya walked up beside the girl, offering a small smile, fingers still tapping the book.

"Um... Hi. I was just... Well, you look really familiar, and I was wondering where I knew you from. What's your name?" Ayalin cringed, knowing full well of her lack of social fluency.

@Ookla the very snazzy

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James held his tongue, fingering at his gloved hands; beneath one of them was the strange gray wound from that odd black sword. The one that sat comfortably nestled in his pocket, looking quite like an ordinary black pen, save the fact that the tip was sharper than the average pen. It's a weapon he thought to himself, but certainly not a weapon I hope to ever use again. 

He noticed Rob's mentioning of stone knives, and voiced his thoughts on the matter "I think that's a wonderful idea, though only as a last resort."

@Ookla the Maybe-Existent 

Shana nodded and lifted a hand to the bus driver to signal that they wanted to get on. The bus stopped and she stepped inside, mulling over the knives Rob had offered. Knives. An option, but using a weapon she didn't knew a lot of things about was dangerous. In the end she might harm herself more than she would harm her enemy. Better to stick to something she was familiar with.

"I never trained with one." She replied, kept her answer vague enough to not spook the driver. She paid for the four of them and then sat down close to the exit. "I think, I'll be better off with none. Or maybe I can find something longer to replace my usual tool with."

She looked outside, at their school and quickly wrote a message to her team, apologized that she would be late for training. She added some vague words about not feeling well, hoped they would simply discard it as woman's problems and don't ask too many questions.

@Wyndlerunner @Ookla the Maybe-Existent

8 hours ago, Tesh said:

Ayalin was slowly wandering her way through the halls towards her final class of the day, fingers drumming against the book she had in one hand, and her eyes darting around the hallway. Her other hand occasionally patted a pocket, feeling the comforting shapes of the few coins.

Pewter burned softly inside her, ready to flare at a moment's notice, and all of her other metals ready either within her, or in small vials in her other pocket.

She was always watching the people around her, trying to find... Something. Someone like Ayalin herself, perhaps, but more likely someone who just... Fit. She'd never had a true, solid friend who understood her before. Just her. Not her books, not her strange views or her quirkiness. Just her.

Two minutes to the bell.

Aya spotted someone. She was walking, head down, a little tense, eyes occasionally darting up. Aya had seen her before, but they had never spoken. She strained, trying to come up with the girl's name, but got nothing.

She shivered, thinking of just starting a random conversation with someone out of the blue with nothing to say.

Stealing herself, Aya walked up beside the girl, offering a small smile, fingers still tapping the book.

"Um... Hi. I was just... Well, you look really familiar, and I was wondering where I knew you from. What's your name?" Ayalin cringed, knowing full well of her lack of social fluency.

@Ookla the very snazzy

Nym was surprised that someone had come up to her, and with as much courage that could be summoned from the depths of her soul she said, "Hi, I'm Nym."  She looked at the other girls face, "Choir, maybe?" @Tesh

"I'm Ayalin. And i don't really sing." Ayalin thought back, trying to place the girl's face. "Do you spend much time time in the library? I'm there a lot, and i see a lot of people come through there." That might be it... Nym seemed like the type who could sit in the back of a room and no one would generally notice her. 

@Ookla the very snazzy

"I go there occasionally,"  Nym said.  "You?"  She was suspicious now, the bell had rung and the halls silent, in truth, Nym didn't want to go to her last class, Math, with dreaded numbers.  She was good enough to get into the Honors program, but that was the extent of her skills. @Tesh

27 minutes ago, Ookla the very snazzy said:

Math, with dreaded numbers.  She was good enough to get into the Honors program, but that was the extent of her skills.

I feel the pain...

"I'm there quite a bit, actually. That must be it... Occasionally is more often than most people." The silence seemed almost eerie, and she sidestepped slightly to be out of view from the window on the door of the classroom in front of them.

Ayalin had never missed a class on purpose before, but she didn't really mind. She just didn't want to get caught. And it was, after all, gym. She didn't mind it, but still. It was gym. No one was likely notice she was even gone except the teacher.

"I take it you don't like your next class, either?" Aya remarked, leaning against the wall.

2 hours ago, Tesh said:

"I'm there quite a bit, actually. That must be it... Occasionally is more often than most people." The silence seemed almost eerie, and she sidestepped slightly to be out of view from the window on the door of the classroom in front of them.

Ayalin had never missed a class on purpose before, but she didn't really mind. She just didn't want to get caught. And it was, after all, gym. She didn't mind it, but still. It was gym. No one was likely notice she was even gone except the teacher.

"I take it you don't like your next class, either?" Aya remarked, leaning against the wall.

I feel the pain.

;)

"Nope."  Nym said, she just wanted for this to be over, and to curl up, with a blanket, and read her book, but alas, here she was, talking to a girl that maybe, just maybe, could be a friend.  "Math, is well..."  She trailed off, not finding the words for well, whatever she was going to say. @Tesh

Ayalin laughed. "I hate math with a burning fervor," she said with a little sarcasm. "Which stinks as I'm fairly good at it. But, it is what it is," she shrugged, smiling. 

This girl truly did seem nice, in the quiet, reserved way. Much like Ayalin herself. Even just the small talk was making her feel... Less alone.

"I never do this, much less ask someone i just met, but-" Ayalin paused. It was stupid. It was all so stupid. She was never going to have a friend like herself, and that was fact.

You're never going to if you don't put in the effort.

"Want to ditch? We could go get some hot chocolate or something." 

She wanted to voice her hopes, but pushed them down, not wanting to weird Nym out.

@Ookla the very snazzy

I'm assuming it's winter, or at least fall/early spring.

Edited by Tesh

On 19/01/2020 at 8:03 PM, Dr. Dapper said:

Doc sighed, shaking his head, "You presume to know everything, as always, but this time you're woefully ignorant of the bigger picture. And this picture is much bigger than even I could have imagined." he smiled, turning to face Jenna. "And of me. I already am a member of your organization. I always have been. They always make an effort to recruit Bondsmiths, after all. I assume they sent you to check up on me, or was I just an interesting bonus?" 

Doc leaned against the counter, watching Jenna pace around his kitchen. "That being said, I would very much appreciate some help with handling these young Radiants. It seems that they're always encountering trouble, usually something of Voidish nature, and I can't stop that from happening, as much as I would like to. So yes, I would very much like some help, if you're willing to give it." 

Jenna crooked an eyebrow, those were bold words for a man who had turned their back on her line of work,

"It sounds to me, Doc, like you've been spending a little too much time with the Lightweavers. They let you see, what they think you want to see."

She hums as she inspects the cleanliness of the kitchen,

"How about you give me a tour of the place, and you let me know if I'm right page..."
She says as she gestures Doc to lead the way, following close behind,
"So, you recruit orphans that have completed the Nahels bond, and they live here with you? How many child-radiants are living here, exactly? Does anyone know they live here?"

As the Doc ponders the questions, she adds

"And, just out of my own curiosity, are you familiar with the works of Charles Dickens?"

8 hours ago, Tesh said:

Ayalin laughed. "I hate math with a burning fervor," she said with a little sarcasm. "Which stinks as I'm fairly good at it. But, it is what it is," she shrugged, smiling. 

This girl truly did seem nice, in the quiet, reserved way. Much like Ayalin herself. Even just the small talk was making her feel... Less alone.

"I never do this, much less ask someone i just met, but-" Ayalin paused. It was stupid. It was all so stupid. She was never going to have a friend like herself, and that was fact.

You're never going to if you don't put in the effort.

"Want to ditch? We could go get some hot chocolate or something." 

She wanted to voice her hopes, but pushed them down, not wanting to weird Nym out.

@Ookla the very snazzy

Nym smiled, considered and agreed saying, "Sure."  Nym really wanted to be out of this place, and Ayalin seemed nice, someone a bit like herself.   @Tesh

5 hours ago, Tesh said:

Ayalin let out a soft sigh. "Nice. Starbucks, then? I'm pretty sure there's once a few blocks away." They started walking down the quiet halls, the voices of the teachers muffled by their doors, and only passing the occasional student.

@Ookla the very snazzy

Nym let Ayalin lead the way, she wasn't still completely sure about where she was going.  @Tesh

On 22/01/2020 at 2:32 PM, Sorana said:

She looked outside, at their school and quickly wrote a message to her team, apologized that she would be late for training. She added some vague words about not feeling well, hoped they would simply discard it as woman's problems and don't ask too many questions.

Rob nodded. As a last resort. Of course, no one wanted to have a battle. But if they did... then Rob would make sure none of his group died because of the Voidbringers. Hopefully this whole issue could be solved with no fighting. As he stepped into the bus he listened to Shana and understood. No knife.

“Let’s hope Doc doesn’t get mad for us skipping class.”

22 minutes ago, Ookla the Maybe-Existent said:

“Let’s hope Doc doesn’t get mad for us skipping class.”

"I'm pretty sure he won't bat an eye, especially if we get him some info on where they're hiding, and besides, skipping class every now and then is just a part of a healthy student life." said Edwin as he took the backpack on his arms before taking a seat.

@Sorana @Wyndlerunner

Shana grimaced. "I'm not sure if that is true for fifteen-year-olds as well." She forced a smile on her face. "I agree that he will understand. Everything else-" with a vague gesture she shook her head. "I doubt he will be too happy. Especially given the fact that I already ended up on the list for 'problem-students'."

The bus started to move and she looked outside at the landscape passing by. She was silent for a while, before turning her head back to the task at hand.

"We could ring ther bell together. Ask if we could use their phone maybe?" It was a weak excuse, and she frowned tried to come up with something else. They were supposed to be in school, so they needed an excuse that fit that part as well. "Or maybe not." She sighed and looked to them, hoped, that they had a better idea.

@Ookla the Maybe-Existent @Eluvianii

On 1/22/2020 at 9:51 PM, Tesh said:

I'm assuming it's winter, or at least fall/early spring. 

It’s March (date is in the OP) but every day is hot chocolate day. 

Edited by AonEne

14 hours ago, AonEne said:

It’s March (date is in the OP) but every day is hot chocolate day. 

I'm more of an herbal tea person myself, actually.

Nym and Ayalin just walked out of the school, exchanging very few words. It was getting awkward, and Aya didn't really appreciate it. As they were walking down the street, Aya kept tapping her pocket with her metals.

"Well, uh, what do you do for fun?" Ayalin finally asked. Better to stab herself in the foot then let the silence strangle her.

@Ookla the very snazzy

Edited by Tesh

34 minutes ago, Tesh said:

Nym and Ayalin just walked out of the school, exchanging very few words. It was getting awkward, and Aya didn't really appreciate it. As they were walking down the street, Aya kept tapping her pocket with her metals.

"Well, uh, what do you do for fun?" Ayalin finally asked. Better to stab herself in the foot then let the silence strangle her.

@Ookla the very snazzy

"I fence, read,and do all manners of self-defense."  Nym looked at Aya, "You?" @Tesh

Ben awoke to the sound of his phone dinging. Odd. It didn’t sound like his usual alarm. He sat up and rubbed bleary eyes, retrieving his phone from the nightstand. He had a few new messages. Why were people texting him so early in the morning? It was just then that he noticed the time. With a groan, he realized that he was late. Really, really late. School had already ended.

He flopped backwards onto his bed, deciding that he would just have Doc call him in as sick. It wasn’t a complete lie- he had felt awful yesterday, and had probably really needed that sleep. Lifting up his phone, he checked his messages. There were a few from Shana from earlier in the day. He responded with a short message. His morning- well, afternoon brain wasn’t too great at thinking about anything too complicated. Which included just about everything.

I love you too. Sorry I didn’t respond earlier, I just woke up. Thanks for tidying up, although you don’t need to do that if you don’t want to.

He hit send and checked the group chat. Reading the newest message there snapped him fully alert. They were going, just the four of them, to a suspicious address? They could be wandering into a voidbringer base filled with enemies! Without him there to heal him, they could get seriously hurt.

I’m on my way.

That was all he sent- he needed to get there as quickly as possible. Standing up quickly and noting the wooziness that accompanied that (perhaps he wasn’t completely better yet), he hastily changed into a t-shirt and jeans. Hurrying downstairs, he snatched a large pouch of infused gemstones off the kitchen counter and made his way over to the garage. He tossed the bag into the passenger seat of his old VW Beetle and started the car. Carefully easing the car out into the street, he drove towards the address at the exact speed limit (he was in a hurry but not that much of a hurry).

@Wyndlerunner

@Sorana

@Eluvianii

On 1/24/2020 at 8:47 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

Same here. What's your favorite blend? Mine is Celestial Seasoning's 'Bengal Spice'

I mostly just get lemon ginger. It's great in the mornings and when I'm sick.

Ayalin laughed. "That's ironic. I love reading, writing, and I've fenced for years. Although I've been trying to find a way to learn how to use a broadsword. But I think we're going to get along just fine."

A rustling in the alley, only caught by the enhancement of tin. Aya swore, pulling out a handful of coins, moving slightly in front of Nym. A man stumbled out of the dim alleyway, seemingly drunk.

He grinned at them, lurching forward. Aya glanced at Nym for a moment, then Pushed one of the coins right into the man's thigh. Aiming was almost easy at such a close range.

The man bellowed, falling to a knee.

"We should probably run for a block or two," Ayalin said, backing away from the man. "He should live. But still." She tried to ignore the fact that Nym had just seen her use her abilities. She'd deal with it later. Aya turned and jogged away, hopping Nym had the sense to follow.

That was awkwardly written. I couldn't think of anything else that would conceivably work and that i could do with my limited knowledge of the worldbuilding. So... Yeah.

When the bus neared their stop, Shana felt her mobile vibrate and pulled it out, checked it for new messages. Ben. He would be coming along. Relieved she started to type a quick answer, still typing while the bus slowed down and she got up, without really looking at the way out.

I'm glad you're coming.

She nearly walked into a handhold, when she checked some other chats as well, but then she stood outside. It wasn't far from here. The house should be a few blocks down the road.

@Lunamor @Eluvianii @Wyndlerunner

Edited by Sorana

When the man jumped out of the alley, nym instinctively drew her shardblade.  Aya had just done something, looks like she wasn't the only person with a secret. Nym wisely ran with Aya, shooting her a questioning glance.  She realized that she still had her shardblade out, and quickly released it. @Tesh

Ayalin continued running, noticing a puff of silver mist next to Nym. She drew in a sharp breath, mind racing. What if, what if, what if. After a few blocks, Aya stopped, Nym right behind her.

"What did you see back there?" She asked, coins still clenched in a sweaty palm.

What if?

"I saw you do something."

What if she wasn't alone? 

@Ookla the very snazzy