AonEne

I am deeply sorry for double-posting, but it’s been a few hours and l have important information about the RP. First is that a link to TKNP has been added to the OP; secondly, the inactive TKNDers tagged below will have two days to say whether or not they’re coming back before their slots are opened up for the use of others. Third, the poll has a clear majority, so all unInvested people will now see (insert other senses here) Invested objects and people differently from how they actually are, filling in anything that can’t be explained with something that makes more sense to them. They will be able to be confused or suspicious about these things. 

@Stormgate   @bees?   @Jaywalk   @RayOfSunshine

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, AonEne said:

Third, the poll has a clear majority, so all unInvested people will now see (insert other senses here) Invested objects and people differently from how they actually are, filling in anything that can’t be explained with something that makes more sense to them. They will be able to be confused or suspicious about these things. 

:huh: People can't be suspicious. And some things they can't really see as anything that makes sense; Shardblades or Shardplate, to name one example.

On 7/21/2019 at 0:06 PM, xinoehp512 said:

The fact that most people ignore it is something that came in a while later when the Unmade was invented, and something that we just glossed over or didn’t canonize for a while.

21 hours ago, AonEne said:

I didn’t mean she was a cause, just that they happened at about the same time. 

The decision for the Radiants to be hidden required that something exist to hide them. Radiants are just too flashy, and their fights are too frequent. 

21 hours ago, AonEne said:

...would he need to be? Yes, she attacks new Radiants, but does she get every single one? 

She's everywhere, so yes.

Edited by xinoehp512

I have to admit, I sense a conflict in front of us. I'm not entirely sure how to solve this, with everybody happy anymore. So I ask everybody to think about the background, and we could implement the decision of the majority. We are a bunch of people rping together and at least imo we should go with the decision of the majority. Otherwise we can simply railroad everything, and don't make a poll at all.

As not everybody is in the pm, would it be possible to sum up shortly, preferably in bulletpoints, why people can't be suspicious? The nwe can think of a way to adapt/ change that.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:26 PM, xinoehp512 said:

How are we intending to keep this from the general populace? Stormlight battles aren't something that are easily hid...

On 4/1/2019 at 9:33 PM, xinoehp512 said:

I think that if the Radiants could turn this over to the broader population in any way, they would. Having people aware of the Voidbringers could only work to their advantage from any perspective I can see.

The reasons I originally gave for why Sha-thoexis acts the way she does.

Bye, Jay, we’ll miss you too. Thanks for telling us. 

Xino, I understand where you’re coming from; however, we may be changing the preestablished worldbuilding. I’m with Sorana. 

17 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Xino, I understand where you’re coming from; however, we may be changing the preestablished worldbuilding. I’m with Sorana. 

You literally cannot. Undoing worldbuilding invalidates RP that's even indirectly based on it. Which, at this point, is pretty much all of it.

Not in all cases. There are ways to make it so that small inconsistencies are fixed. It’s not like this is impossible, Xino, we can do whatever we want to! I believe in us! :D

I understand the feeling of wanting the worldbuilding to be consistent but the final goal is to have fun with this. In the beginning I didn't even know this was going to have a plot, this came from a thread that was mostly for jokes (kinda) so I expected this to be the same, only expanded. I love the direction it took in the end but sometimes I wonder if we take it a little too seriously. I'm all for consistency but if we're going to sacrifice the fun for the sake of consistency then maybe something went wrong.

I'm sorry, I'm a little to prone to start arguments and that would be bad so I'll stop here. This may even come out as rude, please believe me, that's not the intention, but I needed to say it.

Hi, everyone, it’s pretty clear that the RPs of TKND and TKNP are set in a world with worldbuilding that not everyone agrees on. That’s the nice way of saying we’ve been arguing for a few days and it’s not getting us anywhere, at least not that I’ve been able to see, so you all get to read my essay. Yay! 

The main problem isn’t what’s going on with Sha-thoexis, nor is it the perpendicularities. Our issue is that we are having complications in the way we go about roleplaying, both IC and OOC, but mostly OOC. *spreads arms to indicate our threads and PMs* Like so. 

The Knights Next Door is a roleplay where, from the beginning, we headed for voting and polls when we wanted to decide something. We welcome everyone’s new ideas and try to find ways to implement character development or plot if somebody wants to. We live by ‘majority rules’ and ‘give everything a fair chance’. Having fun and making sure as many people as possible enjoy this experience has been my prime concern, and I know for a fact that I’m not the only one. 

However, recently people have begun to feel that their ideas for worldbuilding or plot have been quickly dismissed or invalidated. They feel that they aren’t being given the chance to do anything, that TKND is too rigid, that one or two people have been acting like only they know what should happen and that their word is law and cannot be changed, though they don’t tell others what they’re thinking of. 

TKND began as a much smaller roleplay with a much smaller scale than “save the world from Voidbringers and/or Sha-thoexis”. It started as simply a bunch of kids doing shenanigans, living all together as Radiants, going to school (which we have yet to see apart from homework and the prom), being in relationships, and just occasionally battling evil as they did this. It has expanded to much more than that. 

This is not a bad thing; it can be a very fun plot as well, if not exactly what we originally envisioned. However, it is the start of a pattern wherein some RPers clearly think the RP is going one way and others think differently, and then when it goes in one of those directions, the people who thought otherwise are surprised, often trying to do what they thought was going to happen or stick to information they believe is canon instead, even when it has not been agreed upon. Most of us have been guilty of it, and at this point it’s detrimental to the roleplay, tearing pages apart with long arguments and discussions about several things at once. 

This must stop. We cannot allow ourselves to ruin a good thing, and it is my view that we are perilously close to doing so. 

What we need to do is to compromise, to find ways of doing things that as many people as possible agree with. If you have something that will alter the experience in some way for your fellow RPers, you need to bring it up in the thread, since not everyone is in the PMs. You also have to have approval from a majority, whether in posts or a poll. If it’s something smaller, like character development or something that you want to keep a secret, tell one or two other people and make sure they don’t think it’ll upset what we have going on. If you want to surprise everyone, you can do that too and only reveal it once it happens, but be forewarned that you may have to change it if it harms the plans of others or the whole group. 

Most of all, always be polite and reread what you’ve written, so you can be positive you aren’t coming off as rude, domineering, or uncompromising. 

Does this sound fair to everyone? If not, we can rediscuss the terms, but we need to take action in some way. 

Thanks, Wyn.

I am now going to make a poll to see who agrees with that post and who doesn't. It will be up for a few days to give people a chance to discuss it and talk about certain parts and whether or not they should be changed.

Discussion in the PM leads me to believe that we are coming to a solution to our current plight.

I remain skeptical, however, of your suggestion of polling on decisions. I dislike being forced to find solutions to inconsistencies.

I personally like finding solutions to things rather than just leaving them, but then I'm me. I also prefer to give everyone influence in what happens to their characters, as to do otherwise seems, in my opinion, distinctly unfair.

1 hour ago, AonEne said:

I personally like finding solutions to things rather than just leaving them, but then I'm me. I also prefer to give everyone influence in what happens to their characters, as to do otherwise seems, in my opinion, distinctly unfair.

I'd rather find a solution than not find a solution. I just don't want to feel like I have to find a solution.

I'm not arguing that people shouldn't have a say in what happens to their characters. I'm not even arguing against polls in general. I just don't want binding polls that have options that are inconsistent with established worldbuilding. What if the option to make it so that everyone could see anything had gotten chosen?

11 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

I'd rather find a solution than not find a solution. I just don't want to feel like I have to find a solution.

It seems we have to, however, so we'd best deal with it.

I just don't want binding polls that have options that are inconsistent with established worldbuilding.

Good thing worldbuilding can be changed, then, so we can make it consistent with the options as they're chosen. At some point in the future, if you feel this needs to be changed in some way again and you have enough support and/or dissent to make a poll viable, then we'll make another one, so it may be binding - but it's not irreversible.

What if the option to make it so that everyone could see anything had gotten chosen?

Then frankly I'd've been quite surprised and made sure people knew that, but I would have gone with the decision of the majority, as I am now and as we have always done, and we would've figured out how to move on with that worldbuilding in place.

8 hours ago, AonEne said:
9 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

It seems we have to, however, so we'd best deal with it.

I just don't want binding polls that have options that are inconsistent with established worldbuilding.

Good thing worldbuilding can be changed, then, so we can make it consistent with the options as they're chosen. At some point in the future, if you feel this needs to be changed in some way again and you have enough support and/or dissent to make a poll viable, then we'll make another one, so it may be binding - but it's not irreversible.

What if the option to make it so that everyone could see anything had gotten chosen?

Then frankly I'd've been quite surprised and made sure people knew that, but I would have gone with the decision of the majority, as I am now and as we have always done, and we would've figured out how to move on with that worldbuilding in place.

What if we can't deal with it? You could have demanded that we make it so people could always be suspicious, and that would truly have been impossible. There are things that cannot be changed. There are contradictions that cannot be fixed. Do people realize what their decisions could do?

4 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

What if we can't deal with it? You could have demanded that we make it so people could always be suspicious, and that would truly have been impossible. There are things that cannot be changed. There are contradictions that cannot be fixed. Do people realize what their decisions could do?

I can see what you're aiming at here, but I have to admit, I doubt it will come to that.

If we have a worldbuilding everybody understands, and to which we can easily add parts, then I doubt we will end with a situation in which we have a poll and end up with something we can't implement.

We need to make sure everybody understands what the poll is about, but we are all old enough to think about the consequences of a vote.

First, remember that line about how we want to make sure our posts stay polite or joking, etc.? Just, keep that in mind. I do not demand anything, I go with what is decided to be canon. Secondly, I wouldn’t have out that option, because yes it is impossible. And I agree with Sorana’s last paragraph for your last question. 

Will the below Sharders please see the first post of this page? Ark has posted since, so he’ll have another two days, but after that you will have to resubmit your character sheet. 

@Stormgate   @RayOfSunshine

Edited by AonEne