AonEne

Rain.

It always seemed to be raining here in Portland. Perhaps that was just his perception, a reflection of his own mental state. James sat on a stump in the pouring rain, fiddling with a piece of metal. He shrugged and tossed it back to the ground. Useless. Like James.

James! A voice echoed in his head.

Oh, so I’m hallucinating now? James thought ruefully.

No… James, it is I. The Stormfather!

“Ok,” James mumbled, “Whatever.” he stood up, rain streaming off of his hat and coat.

You’re in a dream, James. A dream of your past. At your lowest moment. It isn’t natural.

“Jᴀᴍᴇs, ʏᴏᴜ ᴍᴜsᴛ sᴇᴇ!” A sense of timelessness flowed over James. That voice. It felt as if the very sky was rumbling at him. He trembled, falling to his knees, as the timelessness faded. Horrible whispers flowed into his ears.

James screamed.

No, James. You can fight it. We can fight it!

“I can try.” Doc stood up, spreading his arms.

Doc smiled and clapped a single time. The world melted into streams of water.

He was standing in the middle of a road that he recognized. It was the street his house was on. He ran up the road, towards the house.

It was on fire, several figures standing in front of it. He recognized them as well. The other Knights.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

James smiled grimly, and nodded. "Out of the frying pan, and into the fire"

Taking a deep breath she turned and walked back towards the house, to the flames. The cellar was aflame as well, a part of the ceiling had broken away and there he was Rob. He stood there, burning, while a stranger talked to him, and someone was laughing. Shana stared at herself, laughing at Rob while burned, his face impassive, while his father taunted him told him that only girls cried. Ben, if that was happening to Rob, what would be happening to him?
She jumped down into the pit, ignored the flames, the shadows between the flames and ran over to Rob, hugged him tightly. The flames hurt, but she didn't care, she'd started crying again.
"It's not real Rob. I'm sorry. You're alive and I'm so sorry. James, says it's not real. And he's a bondsmith, he has to know."
She mumbled incoherently, repeated herself again and again. He was alive, and she was his nightmare.
"That's not me Rob, please, don't hate me because of it. I never wanted to hurt you, I messed it all up. It's not real."
Her face turned into a grimace when the flames burned her skin, but she didn't let got, unless he would push her away. Flames needed air, maybe she could snuff them out somehow.
@Eluvianii

@Emperor Stick

@I think I am here.

Were we the knights you saw?

@Dr. Dapper

If anybody has a good idea how to find Ben (nothingness floating in nothingness) feel free to throw it in, after we sorted the thing with Rob. I'm a bit clueless in that regard right now.

Edited by Sorana

I really, really don't know what's going on. I will say that Draug and probably Jamie as well would have been summoned. So... 

All of a sudden, Draug felt a pulling sensation. The world around him shifted and faded, changing into something new.

He stood up and looked around at the others in confusion. "Where- what- how?"

34 minutes ago, Emperor Stick said:

"So, uh... do you guys have any idea what's going on? this doesn't feel like a normal- wait, is that Doc?" Flid said as he pointed at Doc.

"Yes it is!" James said, genuine excitement flooding into his voice. He noticed Draug and Jamie pop into being just a few seconds later. "I think I could get used to this whole Uniting business" he said, as he helped Jamie to her feet. "The real question is what we do about this whole situation."

4 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

What contradictions are we talking about here? The Oaths? Since Kaladin nearly swore the Fourth Ideal in Shadesmar, and given that these dreams are weird as all get out, as well as being big trials for the characters involved, I think that Oaths sworn in this nearly Tel'aran'rhiod state should apply. I am however, unsure what we're gonna do about Leona, given that @BookishOcelot had her wake up. Other than that, I feel like everything is pretty thematically balanced, as well as being very cinematic. The exact plot you had in mind might not go down- but the spirit of it is.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:32 AM, xinoehp512 said:

A healthy dose of self-confidence never hurts when it comes to fighting Sha-thoexis, but it's certainly not a guarantee. After all, unless you're experienced (or receive help) you're going to be fighting in a dream-state. What sort of things is Jason afraid of?

On 5/3/2019 at 0:49 PM, xinoehp512 said:

The word 'battle' is a bit misleading. Whenever Sha-thoexis is around, she's going to be trying to get into your head, and you are going to be resisting her; this is the 'battle'. Whether the dream itself is a fight or not is up to your subconscious, at least until you gain the practice needed to become aware enough of her presence.

Unless your character has had prior experience with Sha-thoexis, nightmares tonight will be pretty usual in quality. They won't even be as bad as they would be if you were sleeping outside of Seattle.
What will be different is how targeted they are. Sha-thoexis subtly 'echoes' your worst fears back at you (the worse, the harder) meaning that they'll have much more of an impact than your average nightmare.

As a side note, I don't think she's attacked yet, so that could just be an ordinary dream.
On 4/29/2019 at 9:08 AM, xinoehp512 said:

Fair. Ok, you know the worldbuilding about Sha-thoexis I posted in the PM?

Reveal hidden contents

Facts about Sha-thoexis

She feeds on thoughts and memories- specifically ones about Investiture, although she also consumes things as they are forgotten.

Her intelligence is composed of all the thoughts, memories, and dreams that she has consumed.

The Radiant Bond resists her influence strongly. A bond to a dead Shardblade will also resist in the same fashion, but less effectively. An active user of Investiture- for example, a Metalborn burning, tapping, or storing- will resist her influence as well, although this protection only lasts for as long as the power is being used.

She is able to get in more easily when you are dreaming, which is when you are the most vulnerable. If you are not prepared, you will almost certainly fall.

Sha-thoexis often specifically targets those of other magic systems that wander into her AoE. For almost all of them, she succeeds.

When you fall to Sha-thoexis and your memories of Investiture are consumed, an layer of obfuscation is left behind to make sure you don’t remember anything. Holes in your memory are filled (as best they can be) and your sensitivity to magic is dulled.

Well, Jamie is one of "those of other magic systems that wander into her AoE". Because she's been burning/tapping/storing or close to other Radiants for her whole time here, Sha-thoexis hasn't been able to get into her mind, but when she falls asleep she's going to be vulnerable. She hasn't ever faced Sha-thoexis before (she doesn't even know she exists), and she doesn't have a spren to help her out. It's the same thing that's happened to practically every other person from another magic system who stays here for any amount of time.

However, Sha-thoexis's increased presence in the house is going to have an effect on everyone inside. For most people- those who haven't faced Sha-thoexis before- it's not going to amount to much more than a nightmare. But for Draug, who's been battling with Sha-thoexis for as long as he's been a Radiant, it's going to give him an opportunity. Sha-thoexis can get into people's brains, true, but that means they can get into hers. And once he's inside, he can help Jamie out.

You need practice to have self-awareness when you are facing Sha-thoexis. Otherwise it's just a normal dream. And you need to have self-awareness to get into her mind.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, AonEne said:

Her intelligence is composed of all the thoughts, memories, and dreams that she has consumed.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:18 PM, xinoehp512 said:

A whisper began to echo in his head. It was indistinct, composed of what sounded like a dozen different voices all saying different things, all mixing together into one. The voices overlapped and shifted, a chorus of shifting voices gradually getting louder and louder.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:24 PM, xinoehp512 said:

Sha-thoexis's behavior was erratic, though; she took many Radiants, but she also took Enlightened, and she often did strange things like concentrating herself in some arbitrary location. This had bothered Thade. She seemed to be more than just mindless. Shouldn't she be doing more to help them?

Sha-thoexis isn't mindless, but she's not really sapient either. 

Draug slept, and while he slept, he dreamed…

He was standing on the shore of what appeared – at first glance – to be a beach, with a long, sandy coastline and waves lapping at the shore. The sky above was a clear blue, with the sun shining brightly down. But this was no idyllic beach scene, a fact made immediately obvious by the color of the water - a deep, pitch black.

Draug looked around with a sinking feeling. He'd thought that by coming here to Seattle, where, he'd heard, Sha-thoexis was weak, he could avoid the constant battles every night. But it looked like that was not to be.
As he mused, the tide began coming in and the waves swept further and further up the shore.He could see small black creatures scuttling along the sand each time a wave withdrew, digging themselves into the pale sand to hide from predators that didn't exist here.
This was his life. When he was asleep, the real world seemed like a dream to him, and he felt the same about the dream world when he was awake. He'd been fighting Sha-thoexis for so long, living in the simulated environments she instigated, that he'd started to feel like he was two people.
The sky began to darken as clouds rolled in. Draug shivered as the temperature dropped a few degrees and imagined a cloak to cover him. Below, the waves pushed harder and harder towards his position. He could step back, he knew, but it wouldn't forestall what was to come.
He'd seen all of this before, and he'd see it all again. His dream-battlegrounds were always one of a set; he hadn't seen a new one form in years. They were patterns, specific to him; analogies for how he unconsciously interpreted the attacks. His subconscious had developed them from the formless dreams they had been when they had first arrived.
He knew what would happen. So when the few plants that could live on a sandy shore began to wither and die, he did nothing. When a powerful wave surged forwards far harder than should have been possible and began to race up the bank, he just stood there braced to meet the onslaught. And when the black water reached his ankles, he was ready to face it.
A whisper began to echo in his head. It was indistinct, composed of what sounded like a dozen different voices all saying different things, all mixing together into one. The voices overlapped and shifted, a chorus of shifting voices gradually getting louder and louder. Draug gritted his teeth, raised his sword, and swung, pushing against the force in his head. He could feel himself crashing against Sha-thoexis, desperately fighting back her advances- but he was woefully underpowered.
.And then, abruptly the voices started to fade. Draug stumbled and fell in mid-swing, surprised.
 The wave slowed its advance, then began sliding back out to sea. The clouds rolled away, the temperature rose, and plants began to revive- all within seconds. Within no time at all, the scene had gone back to the way it had been at the beginning.
Draug stood up slowly, confused. What had that been? Sha-thoexis never withdrew from a fight. Why would she? She was always stronger than he was.
Or was she? Maybe Seattle's protection bubble was helping him out after all.
As he mused on this, a crazy notion began to come to him. If Sha-thoexis was weaker, here and now, could he- perhaps- win? Could he make her let him into her mind?
He took a step forwards, towards the water, paused to consider, then continued. When he had gotten to the highest point of the last wave, he stopped, breathed in and out, and raised his sword. Then he charged straight into the water.
As soon as he touched it, he heard the whispers. But this time, instead of defending against their attacks, he went on the offensive, pushing at them with some mental force.
The voices wavered for a moment, then broke. He tripped as they gave way, crashing onto ground that had - all of a sudden- become solid. The setting around him shifted and changed, sky darkening. Slowly, he stood up, surveying the new landscape.
The sky above was a solid black. The only light came from glowing globes of clear gold that hovered nearby. A thin mist made of flashing silver particles lay over everything he could see. But it wasn't thin everywhere-Tendrils of thick silver smoke were forcing their way forwards, brushing against the golden globes.
He shivered. Somehow, without knowing, he knew that the golden globes were the minds of people, and that the mist represented Sha-thoexis. From the looks of it, these people had never faced Sha-thoexis before, not in her strength- how would they react now? Would any fall?
He reached out and touched his hand to a nearby globe- then yanked it back quickly, as though burned. That was a powerful nightmare, he thought with worry. Would their defenses be enough to handle it?
He moved over to some of the other globes- some were awake, but those who weren't had nightmares. None of them was in as much danger as the first, though- a relief, for sure. But that didn't stop him from worrying.
And then his eyes fell on a globe that was almost entirely clear. All of sudden, he remembered Jamie. And with that came the memory of his tutor telling him about why exactly one never found people of magic systems wandering about the Western US.
With horror, he realized that one of the dark tendrils had almost reached the globe. He flung himself towards the globe, not even thinking about it, just trying to get there before the tendril.
His hand touched the globe.
And then the scene changed.

Your plot is nice, but I am sorry to say you've also completely ruined my plans.:(

Edited by xinoehp512

8 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Fair enough, however, I think we're a bit too far along to do much about that now, short of striking the posts of the last 2 days entirely from canon. (I don't speak for everyone, but I personally put so much effort into James' confrontation, and everything following it, that striking it from the record would be a sore blow, and I happen to think that many of the others would feel the same. @AonEne, what do you feel about this, given that you are essentially the moderator of this RP

I agree with @Eluvianii

Edited by Wyndlerunner

1 minute ago, xinoehp512 said:

Coolio. For future reference, posting maybe a bit more of an outline as to how you want these things to go down outside of the PM. Also, you should really consider making Sha-thoexis sapient, I think it makes the concept of her that much more intimidating and interesting.

I think the only one who has the whole outline is Xino. We only have the worldbuilding and the ideas behind it. (Or I missed it completely) ;)

Usually I prefer to create a setting/ starting point and see what happens, and I just realized, that Xino is different from me in that regard. We'll sort it.

I thought I'd explained things enough for there not to be any confusion. Clearly that wasn't the case. :(

You do not want to see Sha-thoexis sapient. Sapience means that she can control where she goes. And if she can do that... there's nothing to stop what happened in Colorado from happening again.

What happened, happened.

The problem is more, that our characters actions contradicted a part of Xino's worldbuilding around Sha-theoxis and not the plot. We solve that, we solve the situation and we can go on and see what we will have in the end.

It's a complex worldbuilding, and obviously not everybody understood it completely (me included).

Jamie sighed, looking glumly at the burning house. "So now we're in Inception, is that it?" she pointed at the burning house, "What's up with that?" The house didn't seem to be be actually burning. Flames continued to spurt from it, but it's shape reamained exactly the same.

~~~

Doc stepped up to James. "Any idea how you brought us here? Inquiring Godspren want to know." Doc grinned slightly. 

I've never seen anything like this before. That woman! Bah!