AonEne

Edwin had knew the marathon was a bad idea. He was congratulating himself for lasting as long as he was lasting when sleep came.

. . .

Edwin got back from school. He had taken a detour as always so he expected to find the house full but, when he entered, it was incredibly still.

"Hello? Anyone home?" he shouted but no one answered. He started looking inside every room but they were all empty. When he went to the backyard. Doc was there, barely awake and covered in blood.

"Doc! Doc, are you alright?!" he said as he rushed to his side. Doc looked up and coughed, a deep frown on his face. "What are you doing here? Do you think you still have the right after what just happened?" Edwin stared at him, trying to understand. "Wha-what are you talking about?" Doc spat blood to his side before continuing. "You didn't deserve to be a Radiant but we trusted you nonetheless. That was a grave mistake. Look what you've done to us." he gestured back towards the house. There, right on the door he saw a figure, lifelees on the ground. It was Tyler. His neck was twisted in a way it shouldn't be, his clothes in rags and covered in blood. "No." he said. "This can't be."

He re-entered the house. He passed the kitchen, the living room, the training room. Shana, Flid, Ben. The stairs, the hall on the second floor, the main door. Cassie, Rob, Leona. They were gone. Everyone. Gone.

He tried to reach Twinkle, he needed to talk to someone, to know there was someone left. But she didin't appear. "Twinkle? Twin, where are you?" She didn't come.

He started to search around the house again, panicked, but she was nowhere to be found.

Finally he went to his room, and there she was. "Twinkle!" he said, relief in his voice. "I'm so glad to find you. Something happened, something terrible. We have to... Twinkle?" She hadn't moved since he had entered the room, hadn't said one word. Could she still talk? His thoughts were interrupted when she finally reacted. A single pulse.

Disappointment.

"No. Please Twin, no! I..." He looked down. He was holding a sword. He was holding a weapon though he had never used one before. This one was all bloody. "What?" He looked up again. He was in front of the house now. It was in ruins, and everyone's corpses were scattered around the ground. Doc's voice resounded in his ears. You killed them.

He started to scream.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/12/2019 at 7:11 PM, Karger said:

"What is the point of being Radiant if it does not allow me to find harmony! To foster peace! To protect others!"  He shouted.  "I swore the oaths because order allows me to guard growth and ease pain but now I cannot stop a companion from hurting?  Justice will not allow me to aid another!"  Niscroc looked at him and Luther sighed.  You are not wrong to be wary of human emotion but I fear for myself.  "Order allows us to live and work together but it does not always aid those that who need it.  Never in human history has any society perfectly served its members.  I have only been part of this society for a single day and already I failed them by not bringing the one who threatened it to justice.  What am I to do?"

He closed his eyes and listened.  Justice was not about him it was about those around him.

"I vow" Luther whispered "to serve the community that I am a member of to the best of my ability.  I shall follow their customs and defer to their leaders I will help them survive and grow."

"These words are accepted" said the voice in his mind.

Edited by Karger

It's not a bug - what happens is it only quotes stuff it thinks is in your post, and for some reason quotes are exempt. It does it in the notifications too. Since it's been happening for as long as I can remember, I doubt it'll be changed. It happens for everyone.

Just now, AonEne said:

OH THAT’S WHAT HE MEANS

(Sorry ‘bout the yelling, just had a major revelation.)

Yeah, what Ene said. What I was thinking of is that sometimes when Stick posts a quote box, he has an extra one directly on top of it that only has a number in it (ex. a 1 in the bottom left hand corner).

3 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

The Credits began to roll, and James went down immediately.

He began to dream.

Something is wrong James, very wrong. I shouldn't be here. The Nightwatcher sounded panicked, something that was a new experience for James. For all the mundane qualities of his usual dreams, James was inclined to agree. Yes, He sent to his spren Something is not right here. 

Reality Shifted.

Suddenly, James stood before his own reflection- a being that was him, and yet not him at the same time. "James, James" the figure said, tsking, "We need to have a talk." James snorted, "And who are you supposed to be? My Conscience?" he asked, voice dripping with a barely concealed venom. "Not your, conscience, no, not that grandiose," the figure smiled, "Merely a voice of reason."

James flinched, as an onslaught of thoughts came to him unbidden. You're a pacifist because you're a coward. Your friends will die because you won't pick up a storming blade! You will fail.Lost.Who am I? Who Am I? Who Am I?!! James fell to his knees and wept, as the figure standing above him smiled an inhuman smile, eyes glowing a deep red. "Now then, I knew you'd see reason." Sha-thoexis said, "Now let me take away that confusion. I will ease your sufferings"

Beside James, a vaguely humanoid figure of emerald green manifested. "You will not claim him, Void. I claim him- he will be my boon to Humanity." The Nightwatcher responded, as the spren attempted to shield James from the Voidish onslaught.

@Anybody (James can't hold on forever) 

Thought ceased, something James generally wouldn't have been thankful for, but the moments of clarity allowed him to see the Nightwatcher, standing above him, a bastion against what James could only assume to be the Unmade they had been discussing. "James! Get up!" the Nightwatcher shouted. "But, I can't" James whispered- but then- another thought came to his mind- a memory

It was freshman year of High school, and James had been having a conversation with a good friend, Joesph, when the topic changed abruptly. "Do you think I'm good enough, Joesph? I've always prided myself on being a man of strong morals, but what if I'm off course?" James asked. Joesph laughed, "James, buddy- you are who you are, and I'm pretty dang sure it's who you're meant to be." Joesph said in all seriousness, "And knowing you has helped me find who I am supposed to be"

Memory faded, but James grimaced and stood up. Sha-thoexis gaped in shock. "I take responsibility for who I am, and if I am lost- I shall find myself again as a better man." The Nightwatcher smiled. These Words I accept. Stormlight filled James' body, and his eyes began to glow a deep heliodor. "Guess who's back, back again" James said, a smile on his face. Sha-thoexis let out an inhuman scream, and fled. 

"Well", James said, "Now that that's dealt with, we should focus our attention on finding the others. I have a hunch that this is no ordinary dream" 

@Eluvianii

@Sorana

@Lunamor

@Emperor Stick

@Karger

@Everybody else

Edited by Wyndlerunner

Oh... so we narrate our own nightmares? Okay...

Jason paused, looking around. He couldn't remember how he'd gotten here, but he was at school... he hadn't been there since the last trimester had ended... he'd graduated early. He looked around, biting his lip unhappily. No one was looking at him, no one saw him. No one was there. He was alone, even though he was surrounded by people... He smiled, hurrying forward. That was normal enough... he just had to find Ax and he'd be fine... Ax wouldn't leave him. He hummed as he walked, his heart feeling oddly cold. He turned every corner, looked in every room, and even searched the grounds. Ax wasn't there... He shrugged, jogging towards the house. They'd be...  He froze and saw a restaurant where the house was supposed to be. There was no trace of their old place... he blinked, and it was an empty lot, then looked around and saw people appearing and disappearing with every blink, ghost's showing up here and there. His schizophrenia... He shook his head, and he was back in school, facing a wall. People were laughing at him, and... he couldn't see them. All he could see was a single unchanging, ever-shifting pattern on the ground... He stared, then leaned against the wall, feeling his pulse begin to rise. He couldn't just ignore this... He was alone. He pulled a paper out of his pocket, wondering where it had come from, and then reading it. Ax, telling him... he'd moved to be with a different boyfriend. He trembled, feeling panic and pain in his chest, like he was drowning. He couldn't breathe... 

Has Jason had these sorts of dreams before? If not, he wouldn't be having one now...

17 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Thought ceased, something James generally wouldn't have been thankful for, but the moments of clarity allowed him to see the Nightwatcher, standing above him, a bastion against what James could only assume to be the Unmade they had been discussing. "James! Get up!" the Nightwatcher shouted. "But, I can't" James whispered- but then- another thought came to his mind- a memory

It was freshman year of High school, and James had been having a conversation with a good friend, Joesph, when the topic changed abruptly. "Do you think I'm good enough, Joesph? I've always prided myself on being a man of strong morals, but what if I'm off course?" James asked. Joesph laughed, "James, buddy- you are who you are, and I'm pretty dang sure it's who you're meant to be." Joesph said in all seriousness, "And knowing you has helped me find who I am supposed to be"

Memory faded, but James grimaced and stood up. Sha-thoexis gaped in shock. "I take responsibility for who I am, and if I am lost- I shall find myself again as a better man." The Nightwatcher smiled. These Words I accept. Stormlight filled James' body, and his eyes began to glow a deep heliodor. "Guess who's back, back again" James said, a smile on his face. Sha-thoexis let out an inhuman scream, and fled. 

"Well", James said, "Now that that's dealt with, we should focus our attention on finding the others. I have a hunch that this is no ordinary dream" 

@Eluvianii

@Sorana

@Lunamor

@Emperor Stick

@Karger

@Everybody else

:blink: I'm pretty sure you can't swear Ideals in a dream...

Oh, THAT glitch. Yeah, I have no clue.

Woo, oaths all over! I bet Dapper's gonna make a JoJo's reference when he gets back.

Why not swear Ideals in a dream? They're mentality and power. If the spren are in the dream too...

Terror. Death. Agony. Death. Begging. DEATH. I startled awake, but everything felt wrong. Jamie slumbered on my bed. I sighed, watching her. I was pretty sure I had a crush. How could I not, when she had hair like -

I blinked, then did a double take. Her hair seemed off. I crept closer to examine it; just a normal red, right? Was it more shiny than normal? Feeling like a creeper, I touched it lightly...and jerked back my hand in horror. My fingers came away wet. Blood. That was why her hair color was just a little off - it was soaked in blood.

It was nothing to kill her, an ambiguous voice whispered in my soul. She had no protection, after all. She was only with you, and you are nothing. You're uncertain and weak; you haven't sworn the Ideals so many here have. You have no training. You only have a home because you uncle felt sorry for you, as well he should! You'll never be able to repay him; you don't really matter, after all.

"You're lying," I whispered, scrutinizing the room for Joy fruitlessly. "Uncle James doesn't mind having me here. I might not be as powerful as some, but at least I'm - I'm not a burden..." I trailed off, not believing my own words.

Oh, Cassandra, you are nothing. The voice took on an oddly familiar cast, and amused hatred beat at me from all sides. I know. I've watched. Joy appeared, glowing brightly. I've watched you for years, and even when I bonded to you, you've never been anything but worthless. She pulsed brighter, another flash of degradation slamming me. Never.

Never. I fell to my knees as even my own spren laughed at my incompetence. Dully, I remembered my parents dying, my dog's fur as slick with blood as Jamie's hair. Never. Images of the Radiants here dying flooded me. I stood alive until the end, too hopelessly small to be bothered with by the Voidbringers who swarmed our home. Never.

I drifted away, eyes too wide and dry, teeth clenched and set, curled into a ball. Joy's Light expanded, filling my vision until I was blind.

Never.

Nothing.

Edited by AonEne
made a few changes

Since so many people are swearing oaths... We'll see about Doc. He's very close to the Fourth.

Anyway. Obligitory JoJo meme. 

ECHOES ACT 3! THREE FREEZE!!!

"I see? I'm Jamie, since you asked. Just one question: how did you get here? Oh," she paused, "Is this happening to anyone else?"

Edited by Dr. Dapper

The shadows dragged her away, out of the house and she screamed again, tried to get free and the finally they let go of her.

Behind her the house was a ruin, all around the corpses of the others were lying around. Of all others except.

"Edwin."

She whispered and then hastened over to him.

"Edwin, please, I never meant to, I - you're alive."

Relief had her smile, he was alive she hadn't killed all of them.

@Eluvianii

I hope that works, I see no real reason why not :)

Edited by Sorana

1 hour ago, xinoehp512 said:

Every now and then- he hasn't in a year or so, but he used to get one like this at least once a month back when and before he and Ax started dating. It took three months for them to stop- but he's had them before, yes. It's his worst nightmare. 

1 hour ago, AonEne said:

Why not swear Ideals in a dream? They're mentality and power. If the spren are in the dream too...

Because you aren't self-aware enough. It's still just a normal dream, after all.

13 minutes ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Every now and then- he hasn't in a year or so, but he used to get one like this at least once a month back when and before he and Ax started dating. It took three months for them to stop- but he's had them before, yes. It's his worst nightmare. 

He's been able to see spren for his whole life, right?

A voice brought him back to the terrible reality. He turned, it was Shana.

"Sh-Shana? But, you were..." He turned to the graveyard that was now the house. Shana's body was now missing. "You're alive?"

The relief he felt brought him out of his shock and everything came crashing on him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... I don't know what happened... Everyone..."

He stopped and took a deep breath. And without even knowing anymore if he had a right to be relieved he said. "I'm glad that you're okay."

It should work. This is getting really interesting now. How I wish everyone was here (the ones who haven't posted in a while), it could get even bigger