Emotional Videos

ILuvHats

I'm really just making this post as an excuse to share the latest Pixar short film. I don't want to spoil anything about it, but just trust me, it's amazing and beautiful and gut-wrenching.

Review (Warning! Spoilers)

Spoiler

Oh my gosh, I loved this video. The animation style was so different from the CGI we often see from Pixar, even in their short films, that I wasn't sure what to expect. But I knew I was hooked after seeing the cat cuddle with the pink stuffed elephant. SO CUUUUUTE. And then the pit bull came, and I was in love. I was sort of expecting the dog to have an abusive owner, but I was not expecting a dog fight ring. I finally started tearing up at the end when the woman first started to back away from the dog, then came closer to pet him, and his look as he flinched got me.

There weren't any surprise endings, and if you stop to think about it, you can see where the film is headed. But that's why it's a short film. You don't have time to stop and think about it. One particularly fantastic part was the behaviors of the animals, which was spot on. Even though it was animated, and I could feel the cartoon influence at times, the animals felt very realistic. Their mannerisms, the sounds they made, it seemed more real than any hand drawn animation has a right to. It makes me glad that CGI hasn't completely replaced hand drawn animation.

The message, too, was something that should strike a chord in anyone who has or had pets. It wasn't profound in it's own right, but it was short, and sweet, and filled with humanity, even though the film was about a dog and a cat. I could also see that the animators/producers were trying to spread a message dissipating the negative views of black cats and pit bulls. It's kind of amazing that people are still superstitious, but they are, and black cats are adopted less frequently than any other colored cat. And pit bulls obviously have a huge reputation as aggressive and dangerous, a reputation they in no way deserve. Most of them are so sweet and they're loyal to a fault, which is sometimes taken advantage of by their owner, which is why they get their reputation. Anyways, this short film gave me a good cry that I've been needing for a while, and I wanted to share the tears.

Feel free to post any other videos on this thread that you love and take you through crazy emotional journeys.