The Dragon Prince: Thoughts,

It's been a minute since I've been a contrarian on this site, so it's time to stir up some trouble!

Rant/Vent below. And please be aware that I'm not speaking about anyone on this forum. Y'all are far too kind, thoughtful, and intelligent for this sort of foolishness. 

Spoiler

Unpopular Opinion - Rayllum sucks, and the fandom's obsession with it (particularly on Reddit) is both annoying and detrimental. 

Don't get me wrong, the two function very well together as a couple, as they complement each others' strengths and weaknesses, and use their conflict to grow. But the show's episode limit made it feel very forced and sudden, even if the clues were there. Aang and Katara's relationship took nearly a year in-world to get to the point it did, and over 60 episodes. By contrast, Callum and Rayla's relationship formed in a couple of weeks. 

And worst of all, this relationship is a crutch. The fandom has become so reliant on the relationship that if anything happens to it - if anything LOOKS like it's happening to it - fans freak out. I don't blame fans for this; after all, when all you have between seasons is time and the theories have run their course, the next most prevalent thing is shipping. And shipping isn't bad! It's the sign of a lively fanbase. But to depend almost entirely on shipping, and to base a majority of one's enjoyment of a series on a ship...y'all, that isn't good. If the two do break up, the fandom's going to go nuclear, not unlike other related shows and fandoms. It's not going to be pretty. 

Part of me wants the two to break up, if only to see the reactions. The other part of me knows that doing something real and interesting with them would be a better direction to go. 

But I know my opinion's the minority opinion, so don't take too much stock in it. 

On 3/19/2021 at 7:21 PM, Use the Falchion said:

It's been a minute since I've been a contrarian on this site, so it's time to stir up some trouble!

Rant/Vent below. And please be aware that I'm not speaking about anyone on this forum. Y'all are far too kind, thoughtful, and intelligent for this sort of foolishness. 

Reveal hidden contents

Unpopular Opinion - Rayllum sucks, and the fandom's obsession with it (particularly on Reddit) is both annoying and detrimental. 

Don't get me wrong, the two function very well together as a couple, as they complement each others' strengths and weaknesses, and use their conflict to grow. But the show's episode limit made it feel very forced and sudden, even if the clues were there. Aang and Katara's relationship took nearly a year in-world to get to the point it did, and over 60 episodes. By contrast, Callum and Rayla's relationship formed in a couple of weeks. 

And worst of all, this relationship is a crutch. The fandom has become so reliant on the relationship that if anything happens to it - if anything LOOKS like it's happening to it - fans freak out. I don't blame fans for this; after all, when all you have between seasons is time and the theories have run their course, the next most prevalent thing is shipping. And shipping isn't bad! It's the sign of a lively fanbase. But to depend almost entirely on shipping, and to base a majority of one's enjoyment of a series on a ship...y'all, that isn't good. If the two do break up, the fandom's going to go nuclear, not unlike other related shows and fandoms. It's not going to be pretty. 

Part of me wants the two to break up, if only to see the reactions. The other part of me knows that doing something real and interesting with them would be a better direction to go. 

But I know my opinion's the minority opinion, so don't take too much stock in it. 

Spoiler

I have to say, I’m with you on this one. Rayllum never felt earned to me, especially with how fast the relationship progressed. I would actually be very happy if the two broke up; it seems to me that they would have a more interesting journey that way.

For once in my life, when presented with this situation, I would be okay with a love triangle. If Callum and Claudia were to bond over dark magic, that’s the beginning of a journey I’d be much more interested to see through to the end. Of course, there is quite a divide between them right now, but I don’t see it as out of the question.

At the end of the day, however, I’m not watching the show for the ships. I’m watching for characters like Amaya and Soren—people I find much more interesting than the two supposed leads of the show.

3 hours ago, Jaywalk said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I have to say, I’m with you on this one. Rayllum never felt earned to me, especially with how fast the relationship progressed. I would actually be very happy if the two broke up; it seems to me that they would have a more interesting journey that way.

For once in my life, when presented with this situation, I would be okay with a love triangle. If Callum and Claudia were to bond over dark magic, that’s the beginning of a journey I’d be much more interested to see through to the end. Of course, there is quite a divide between them right now, but I don’t see it as out of the question.

At the end of the day, however, I’m not watching the show for the ships. I’m watching for characters like Amaya and Soren—people I find much more interesting than the two supposed leads of the show.

Same. Complex and interesting characters over romance nearly every time.