The Dragon Prince: Thoughts,

6 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

The Dragon Prince's first graphic novel Through the Moon is out! 

It was leaked somewhere else in the world (either Europe or Australia) about a month or so ago, so I remember hearing some preliminary things about it. And today I got my hands on it!

My spoiler-free review.

This is a solid graphic novel and a solid choice for the story. It's far from the best one I've seen, even among JR (Junior Reader) graphic novels, but it's far from the worst. If you're a fan of the show, you may want to look into picking this up, as Aaron Ehasz recommended reading this before Season 4 for the best possible experience. The story is a nice interquel story, with enough material for an episode or two of the show. Making it into a graphic novel means that they don't have to worry about this within the show and can skip to other aspects, much like what Edgedancer does for Lift, Nale, and Szeth. 

The characters are excellently written, and you can hear the words in your head. Likewise, the characterization is true to them as well. The action is a little lacking, but given the story it's trying to tell, that's fine. 

I'm still not sure the price was worth it - $14 for a graphic novel that took me less than 20 minutes to read - but I'm really not complaining. 

In terms of spoilers: 

Reveal hidden contents

I remember people freaking out on TDP's subreddit about the state of Callum and Rayla's relationship after this graphic novel. As a Callum x Claudia shipper myself, I was incredibly curious. But after reading this, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that there is NOTHING for Rayllum fans to worry about. The ending seems ominous, but I'm positive it'll be fine. 

Overall - Treat this like Edgedancer. If you want the full experience, you go for it. If you want to just dive back into the show without caring about the side-journeys, that's fine too. 

7.9/10

Awesome, can't wait!

Aaron and Co hosted an AMA a few days ago. There are some fun tidbits in here, but also a LOT of spoilers. I'll put some of the fun ones below. 

• Any Rayllum kids would have more than eight digits. 
  • Callum's father was fully human.
  • They're still in pre-production for Season 4, but are looking to start production soon. 
  • They're hiring if you have videogame creation experience!
  • Startouch Elves - or a certain sect of Startouch Elves were the first elves.
  • There may be more species on the planet than just humans and elves, but those are the focus for TDP. (This is actually from an Instagram interview I believe...I can't find it anymore though...)
  • Callum turned 15 at the end of TTM. 
  • There will be a small timeskip between TTM and Season 4. 
  • We will meet new characters in Season 4, and it's hinted that the Dragaang may gain a new team member ala Toph. 

I'm sure there are some I missed, but these are all of the non-spoiler ones of note I could think of. 

Rewatching the first season.  This show has Song of Ice and Fire level hinting at a Very Important Thing, and then not confirming it for at least 2.5 more seasons.  D:

Also, Rayla's fake Scottish accent is terrible, and it drives me crazy.  Hire a voice actor with that accent, or change your expectations, don't make our ears bleed.  (I guess American audiences often don't notice this, because you get SO MANY fake accents in your tv, video games etc, and so little media from those countries. To the rest of the world, the fake accents are really painful.)

Edited by Snorkel

10 minutes ago, Snorkel said:

Rewatching the first season.  This show has Song of Ice and Fire level hinting at a Very Important Thing, and then not confirming it for at least 2.5 more seasons.  D:

Also, Rayla's fake Scottish accent is terrible, and it drives me crazy.  Hire a voice actor with that accent, or change your expectations, don't make our ears bleed.  (I guess American audiences often don't notice this, because you get SO MANY fake accents in your tv, video games etc, and so little media from those countries. To the rest of the world, the fake accents are really painful.)

Isn’t the actress Scottish? I think that’s her actual accent.

Edited by Lunamor

1 hour ago, Lunamor said:

Isn’t the actress Scottish? I think that’s her actual accent.

Hmm.  Just checked.

Paula Burrows, the voice of Rayla, was born in Scotland of Scottish/USA parents but brought up in Canada.

So I guess her normal speaking voice is with a Canadian accent.  Her Rayla accent sounds super weird.

Edit: here's her real accent

Edited by Snorkel

I'm not really bothered by the fake Scottish accent, because, techinically it isn't a Scottish accent. There is no Scotland in Xadia, so technically it's more of a Moonshadow accent than anything else. Same way an Alethi accent probably might sound similar to a real world accent, but if it's off, it doesn't actually matter, because it's not really that accent- it's an Alethi accent.

But yeah, that's just me rambling

4 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I'm not really bothered by the fake Scottish accent, because, techinically it isn't a Scottish accent. There is no Scotland in Xadia, so technically it's more of a Moonshadow accent than anything else. Same way an Alethi accent probably might sound similar to a real world accent, but if it's off, it doesn't actually matter, because it's not really that accent- it's an Alethi accent.

But yeah, that's just me rambling

Very true! Nice way of looking at it from a different viewpoint.

On 22/11/2019 at 7:38 AM, Reckless Reader said:

Season 3 tomorrow!!! I'm so hyped :)

At the Seattle Geek Girl Con, the voice actor for Rayla was holding a Q & A (which I attended, duh) and it really got me excited for the new season. So I went through and rewatched the first two seasons and...

Has anyone else noticed that Callum's rune cube has a face that slides open?

Look at the face on the right, with the ocean rune on it. The triangles in the corners don't line up with the other faces. All the triangles in the other corners line up across faces, but not that one. I thought it might be a mistake, but every shot I can find has that little misalignment on the ocean face -- only the ocean face, and always the ocean face. I ran this theory past a few people, and they seem to agree.

Sorry if it's common knowledge at this point and I just wasn't aware, but I thought it was interesting :D

52160edbb2ab9adcc1244e632ecc0919_display_large.jpg

I kept an eye out for this after seeing your post.

I think the sides are all aligned, they just look like they're not because of the rounded edges of the cube, and the shading is weird.

Here's a scene from the end of S02E06 where the moon rune looks like it's to the corner, and then he rotates it some more and the ocean rune is central.

Spoiler

runes.thumb.jpg.cd738d698b962fdaa2835f77c5b4b0c2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, so I was just granted access to the playtest materials & adventure module for the upcoming Dragon Prince RPG, titled Tales of Xadia. If I were to run a mini campaign online, either through something like roll20.net or PBP (play by post, on a forum like this one) would anyone be interested in giving it a go?

1 hour ago, Herowannabe said:

Hey guys, so I was just granted access to the playtest materials & adventure module for the upcoming Dragon Prince RPG, titled Tales of Xadia. If I were to run a mini campaign online, either through something like roll20.net or PBP (play by post, on a forum like this one) would anyone be interested in giving it a go?

Depends on when, but schedule (and Lord) permitting, I'd be down. 

3 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Depends on when, but schedule (and Lord) permitting, I'd be down. 

Do you have a preference between roll20 or PBP? Personally I’m leaning towards PBP because it would be easier for my schedule, but if people would rather do roll20 I could easily be persuaded to do that. 

7 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

I may be up for this, depending on timing and all that.

Alright, its sounding like PBP is going to be the way to go. After doing a bit of looking around, I think our best venue will be rpggeek.com, mainly because it already has a dedicated page for ToX with a dedicated "Play by Forum" subforum, plus it allows for rolling multiple dice of different types at the same time, which will be necessary for the game. I'll work on getting a thread started for us there within the next day or two. 

In the meantime, anyone who wants to play I ask that you go read the Rules Primer, which is now available on their website. You don't have to read the "Running the Game" section if you don't want to, but please go over the rest. Do NOT read the "Lost Oasis: A Playtest Tale" page- because that is the adventure we are going to be playing. B)

Lastly (for now), by my count we have 3 people interested in playing, namely @Use the Falchion, @JesterLavorre, and @AonEne. The adventure supports up to 6 players, so if you know anyone else who would be interested in playing, feel free to invite them! :)

6 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Alright, its sounding like PBP is going to be the way to go. After doing a bit of looking around, I think our best venue will be rpggeek.com, mainly because it already has a dedicated page for ToX with a dedicated "Play by Forum" subforum, plus it allows for rolling multiple dice of different types at the same time, which will be necessary for the game. I'll work on getting a thread started for us there within the next day or two. 

In the meantime, anyone who wants to play I ask that you go read the Rules Primer, which is now available on their website. You don't have to read the "Running the Game" section if you don't want to, but please go over the rest. Do NOT read the "Lost Oasis: A Playtest Tale" page- because that is the adventure we are going to be playing. B)

Lastly (for now), by my count we have 3 people interested in playing, namely @Use the Falchion, @JesterLavorre, and @AonEne. The adventure supports up to 6 players, so if you know anyone else who would be interested in playing, feel free to invite them! :)

Yay! I’m definitely still up for this. I’ll check out PBP and the rules primer.

Also, why is it that when I’m reading the rules primer, every time I see a picture of Rayla I immediately start reading in her voice for no reason?

7 hours ago, JesterLavorre said:

Also, why is it that when I’m reading the rules primer, every time I see a picture of Rayla I immediately start reading in her voice for no reason?

I think that means you’re doing it right. ;)

5 hours ago, AonEne said:

I won't be able to do this after all, but I hope you guys have fun! 

We’ll miss having you, but I understand how it goes. If things change down the line and you decide you want to join in, let us know, we can probably make that happen. :)

@JesterLavorre @Use the Falchion The sign-up thread is now up over at RPGgeek.com. If you're still interested then please pop on over and pick a character to get officially signed up. As I mentioned above, the adventure supports up to 6 players and seems to play better with more players rather than fewer, so if you know anyone else who might be interested then feel free to invite them. I'm going to wait a couple days and then post an invite on ToX's facebook page for anyone else who wants to play. :)

4 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

@JesterLavorre @Use the Falchion The sign-up thread is now up over at RPGgeek.com. If you're still interested then please pop on over and pick a character to get officially signed up. As I mentioned above, the adventure supports up to 6 players and seems to play better with more players rather than fewer, so if you know anyone else who might be interested then feel free to invite them. I'm going to wait a couple days and then post an invite on ToX's facebook page for anyone else who wants to play. :)

All right, I'll do that! I'm DoomslugTheDestroyer on BGG and RPGgeek.