The Dragon Prince: Thoughts,

On 4/24/2020 at 1:45 AM, Snorkel said:

I skipped most of the thread because I don't want spoilers.

Is it complete at the end of Season 3? It has a finale?

Season 3 wraps up the current story arc pretty well, but leaves several things open for future seasons. As was mentioned above, the plan is to have it go 7 seasons, one for each arcanum + dark magic. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just as a reminder/update/refresher, The Dragon Prince is having a Comic-Con At Home panel tomorrow, Friday July 24 at 3 PM Pacific Time (5 PT Central Time, 6 PM Eastern Time). It's not known what will happen and/or be announced, but I'm sure it'll be an interesting event. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

27 minutes ago, Condensation said:

I started it with @Mist, but we kinda dropped off. I've been hoping to restart or continue, but my other siblings aren't interested.

That happens sometimes. Maybe they'll pick it up again someday, or maybe it'll just be a show you enjoy alone. Maybe tomorrow will bring some news that will inspire them to watch it with you!

On 7/23/2020 at 10:57 PM, Condensation said:

We can hope.

Any suggestions for getting them to watch an episode?

See, I thought just the promise of watching TV would get them to, but they said no.

If you liked Avatar: The Last Airbender, this show will give you similar feelings since they both have the same head-writer. And the main character is voiced by Sokka! "Yes, I know, the animation is choppy; but that only is for the first season and by the end you'll barely even notice. Besides, the first season is only three hours long. Why not try it out?"

Also, HEAR YE AND REJOICE! NETFLIX HAS GREENLIT THE REST OF THE SERIES. THE FINAL FOUR SEASONS ARE HAPPENING. #GIVEUSTHESAGA WORKED. 

AND IN MORE NEWS, THE DRAGON PRINCE WON THAT EMMY!!

Edited by Use the Falchion

25 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Also, HEAR YE AND REJOICE! NETFLIX HAS GREENLIT THE REST OF THE SERIES. THE FINAL FOUR SEASONS ARE HAPPENING. #GIVEUSTHESAGA WORKED. 

AND IN MORE NEWS, THE DRAGON PRINCE WON THAT EMMY!!

HUZZAH! HUZZAH! This is great! And it won an emmy!?!? That's amazing!

It's a joke from the book Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep by Gail Carson Levine. It's like Sleeping Beauty. Princess Sonora is blessed at birth with 10 times the intelligence of any other human being in the world, but if you ask her something, she will lecture you on it, so a proverb develops. When someone doesn't know something, one person says "Princess Sonora knows" and the other person says "but don't ask her". It's rather funny when you get the inside joke. You should read it.

Princess Sonora was cursed at her naming ceremony by the fairy Belladonna to prick herself on a spindle and die, but another fairy altered the curse so Sonora and the rest of the castle will sleep for a hundred years.  Generations later, in the kingdom of Greater Kulornia, Prince Christopher has a lot of questions that no one can answer.  Everyone just recites the old proverb “Princess Sonora knows, but don’t ask her.”  Then, one day, a visiting shepherd tells him, “Princess Sonora knows, but don’t ask her…because she’s asleep.”  Christopher sets off to find the legendary Sonora to ask if she can help solve his kingdom’s latest problems.  A retelling of “Sleeping Beauty.”

1 hour ago, AonEne said:

IT’S CONFIRMED 

When is it coming out, do we know? 

My best guess would be December at best, but we're probably looking at a January/February release. Ehasz and his crew have mostly likely wrestled down a script/outline that they can now go into the studio/record from home for. But the animation itself is going to take a long while. The wait between Season 1 and Season 2 wasn't that long, but it took a toll on the animators. If Wonderstorm wants a repeat, then we'll get the series in late December, but it honestly doubt it. Now that the series is locked down, why worry about crunching for an arbitrary time limit? Why not take the time needed to make this season the best one yet?

So TL;DR - I don't know, but, it could be as soon as December to as late as February, which is my personal guess. 

• 2 months later...

The Dragon Prince's first graphic novel Through the Moon is out! 

It was leaked somewhere else in the world (either Europe or Australia) about a month or so ago, so I remember hearing some preliminary things about it. And today I got my hands on it!

My spoiler-free review.

This is a solid graphic novel and a solid choice for the story. It's far from the best one I've seen, even among JR (Junior Reader) graphic novels, but it's far from the worst. If you're a fan of the show, you may want to look into picking this up, as Aaron Ehasz recommended reading this before Season 4 for the best possible experience. The story is a nice interquel story, with enough material for an episode or two of the show. Making it into a graphic novel means that they don't have to worry about this within the show and can skip to other aspects, much like what Edgedancer does for Lift, Nale, and Szeth. 

The characters are excellently written, and you can hear the words in your head. Likewise, the characterization is true to them as well. The action is a little lacking, but given the story it's trying to tell, that's fine. 

I'm still not sure the price was worth it - $14 for a graphic novel that took me less than 20 minutes to read - but I'm really not complaining. 

In terms of spoilers: 

Spoiler

I remember people freaking out on TDP's subreddit about the state of Callum and Rayla's relationship after this graphic novel. As a Callum x Claudia shipper myself, I was incredibly curious. But after reading this, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that there is NOTHING for Rayllum fans to worry about. The ending seems ominous, but I'm positive it'll be fine. 

Overall - Treat this like Edgedancer. If you want the full experience, you go for it. If you want to just dive back into the show without caring about the side-journeys, that's fine too. 

7.9/10