The Dragon Prince: Thoughts,

On 11/25/2019 at 9:07 AM, Aragorn said:

Bait actually did something worth while

He did that in season one.

Soren was totally awesome

Agreed.  However I am not sure how I feel about Claudia.

RAYLA AND CALLUM WERE THE CUTEST COUPLE EVER!!!!!!!!

Honestly it felt a bit early for that.  I also think it should have tied in with moon arcanum stuff in a more significant way.  I will admit they get a bit better on rewatch.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

ok, its a bit late, but I watched the whole season the day after it came out.

And it was amazing

Spoiler

Rayla and Callum- never liked that as much as claudia and callum. The whole romance was kinda shoddy

whatstheirface and whatstheirname, the elf couple, was adorable. I loved it. Oh yeah, one was Runan. So Runan and whatstheirname.

The dark magic in this season had me shivering on the couch. It was just kinda badchull. The whole thing with the sunfire elves... oooooh it was good. And I loved how it looked like an eclipse, that was fitting. Also- turning humans into magical creatures? That's a whole new level of dark magic. Before it was a one creature one spell ratio, but now its shown that you can make someone permanently magical? Could you use dark magic to make a magician? Like, with the sun source thingy, could I turn a bunch of people into sun mages? And also, if so... could this be used on elves? Does it have to be darkened first? Could the regular mage have done this, if he knew how? Could, using this, you turn a earthblood, a moonshadow, etc. into a sun mage form of that elf? If not, you could still use that basic arcanum stuff, right? as was done to the soldiers? Imagine how terrifying a moonshadow elf who also had sunfire elf powers would be.

And imagine what would have happened if Viren had finished draining the dragon prince? How powerful would he have become? What would have happened?

Which brings me into my next thing: Viren and Claudia and Soren. That arc made me sad, made me happy, everything about it was done so well. It was creepy, realistic, and oh so good. I loved it. Claudia going evil, Soren going good, Soren stabbing holograph Viren, Viren dying and Claudia reviving him, the parallel to the end of season two. Claudia and Soren, are perfect opposite paths, that could easily have reversed. It's like with Kaladin and Moash.

also- dragons. DRAGONS. I LOVE DRAGONS. SOL REGEM? ALL THE OTHERS? OOOH

And on top of everything else- the beginning of the season. The dark mage was somehow the good guy? Also, going into more magic physics, how did Sol Regems descendants become thunder dragons? Was it a new line? Because it seemed to imply a direct line.

Also, we still haven't seen earthblood and whatever the ocean elves are. I'm really looking forward to water elves. 

Really enjoyed Season 3! I especially loved Soren’s arc and Rayla’s arc. Bait and Zym’s relationship was fun to see progress, and I loved seeing more of Xadia.

The sunfire elves are super cool. I liked seeing more of the moonshadow elves as well, but I was a little disappointed we didn’t get to see earthblood elves.

Amaya was awesome, Soren was great, Aaravos is the freaking best, and I cannot wait for more of him.

I had a great time watching this :)

Spoiler

Romances: I did think the Callum/Rayla romance was a bit rushed, but to be fair, they had been in multiple life-and-death situations together, which might cause them to bond real quick. Same thing with Amaya and Janai. (But also, they're SO STORMING ADORABLE.) Seeing Ethari in person was so satisfying and cute and sad.

Redemption/un-redemption: I'm really glad Soren got such a believable arc and I'm so proud of him :). I also love how Claudia ONLY went eviler because she was trying to keep her family together. It's such a solid and relatable motive. Viren... has been true to his character. Also, did anyone else notice that the Broken Link soldiers (who chose to go home before the battle) had a kind of Bridge Four story?

The adoraburrs were fan service. I am not complaining.

Aaravos was So Fun!! What a great villain.

Edited by Ookla the Chaotic

• 4 months later...

Hello, it’s necro time. The unofficial release date is May, right? 

Read the thread and I agree with the theory that 

Spoiler

Harrow might be in Pip! I actually thought of that while watching. My only worry is that it’ll undermine the effect his death had on the rest of the characters, but I’m not too worried. 

I was shocked when they let Ezran lead without a regent. Like, he’s ten! You’re letting a 10yo on the throne?! What are you doing? :P 

Can’t wait to see how Aaravos is reborn. Also I keep saying it Aavaros. 

Edit: Sarai’s death was harrowing. (I am not sorry.) 

Edited by AonEne

Howdy everybody! I just watched all three seasons of The Dragon Prince, and it was pretty darn great! Definitely felt like avatar, which I liked. Although I never noticed Callum posing with the boomerang. Seeing that now cracks me up :P

Speaking of which...

Spoiler

Did anyone else notice that in the episode where they’re in the desert, Callum was looking at the sky elf lady’s weapon with the boomerangs and said “This seems... familiar.” I didn’t understand it at first but now it makes so much sense :lol:.

And of course my thoughts:

Spoiler

So funny story, I kind of thought that Viren WAS that first dark mage we saw, that he was the person who discovered dark magic and used it to stay immortal. Obviously that’s not true, but in season 1 there was the scene where he took that butterfly’s essence, and you could only see his gray hair, and I was like, “Aaah! So he uses those to keep from aging!” It made more sense in my head.

But anyway, I think you all have much better ideas. Like, I didn’t even think about Pip being that important, and that he might be Harrow is mindblowing! And the mystery with the ocean side of the cube, I bet you’re totally right! I think you all are definitely on to something. 

Plus, I was really happy with Soren’s redemption arc. I’m glad that he’s more than just a dim-witted follower, and I hope that he continues to follow his own conscience and what he knows is good. Claudia is DEFINITELY going to go down a darker road, but I hope she still gets redeemed too. 

And last but not least, was I the only one who had a special connection with the baker? I say that in a funny way, but he was pretty cool. Especially when he fought in the last battle with his rolling pin. That was stupendous. 

Edited by Rosharan A.C.

I must guiltily admit that I didn’t really like the baker :P 

Haven’t seen Avatar so I didn’t get any of those references, but I got the “Why did it have to be soulfangs” and “One does not simply walk into Xadia”, despite not having seen either movie. 

10 hours ago, AonEne said:

I must guiltily admit that I didn’t really like the baker :P 

Haven’t seen Avatar so I didn’t get any of those references, but I got the “Why did it have to be soulfangs” and “One does not simply walk into Xadia”, despite not having seen either movie. 

For the second reference Callum even had the same hand gesture :lol:

36 minutes ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

That’s okay. I figured I was probably the only one. 

He does not do it for me either.  Also.  Can someone tell me why Calum got no magical training during this season.  He has the power now so could we learn a bit about it please? 

Sorry! It’s great that you like him, I just didn’t myself. 

5 hours ago, Karger said:

Can someone tell me why Calum got no magical training during this season.  He has the power now so could we learn a bit about it please? 

I would’ve been fine with it except for the fact that he used a power out of nowhere. Him manifesting wings with nothing other than drawing the marks on his arm so beforehand and practicing (and failing) once, and then...loving Rayla? Which has what, exactly, to do with the Sky Arcanum? If it had related to Callum needing more energy or needing to think about something happy or needing to be in a position of saving someone, then fine. But there was no foreshadowing to it at all, and honestly I’d rather he hadn’t done it. Let him practice what he can already do imo, that’s important too - he doesn’t need a new skill if it’s going to come out of nowhere. 

Whelp. I’m rewatching TDP, and this time I’ve decided to actually watch the credits. I was looking at the voice actors for the last one, and found out that Viren and the baker are actually played by the same person... :blink:

there goes that.

edit: also, it’s very funny seeing all the avatar references I missed last time. :P

Edited by Rosharan A.C.

1 hour ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

Also, has anyone noticed that when the characters use dark magic, they’re just speaking backwards? If you play it back, you can make out the words they use.

I figured it was something like that! Didn’t know for sure, though. 

On 4/8/2020 at 4:20 AM, Feruchemical Bowser said:

The voice actor for Calum is the voice actor for Sokka in Avatar. Both TV shows are good but I like Avatar better.

July Character Birthdays! – The Dragon Prince     Sokka - Avatar | The last airbender characters, Avatar funny ...   

Same here, but it's also not a fair comparison yet. Avatar had 61 episodes and is a complete series. The Dragon Prince has 27 currently and isn't even halfway done. The characters are going through different arcs (Aang is present in all of the main characters: his innocence is in Ezran, his powers are in Callum, and his arc is reversed in Rayla (instead of wondering how NOT to kill the Fire Lord, Rayla wonders if she can ever kill to become an assassin)), but there are similarities (Callum and Sokka have love interests who are better than them at what they feel they're good at (magic and fighting respectively), have a love interest associated with the moon, and know of boomerangs). 

The Dragon Prince is great and is well on its way to being phenomenal, but it will take a lot of time to see if it can live up to Avatar. 

On 4/18/2020 at 2:05 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Same here, but it's also not a fair comparison yet. Avatar had 61 episodes and is a complete series. The Dragon Prince has 27 currently and isn't even halfway done. The characters are going through different arcs (Aang is present in all of the main characters: his innocence is in Ezran, his powers are in Callum, and his arc is reversed in Rayla (instead of wondering how NOT to kill the Fire Lord, Rayla wonders if she can ever kill to become an assassin)), but there are similarities (Callum and Sokka have love interests who are better than them at what they feel they're good at (magic and fighting respectively), have a love interest associated with the moon, and know of boomerangs). 

The Dragon Prince is great and is well on its way to being phenomenal, but it will take a lot of time to see if it can live up to Avatar. 

True that.

19 hours ago, Snorkel said:

I skipped most of the thread because I don't want spoilers.

Is it complete at the end of Season 3? It has a finale?

Ideally there will be 4 more seasons, each titled after an Arcanum (Book/Season 4 is called Earth). We don't know when/if it will be announced, but the movement for Season 4 is strong!