The Dragon Prince: Thoughts,

@mtthgn already mentioned this a few months ago, but I'm going to bring it up again because if this theory is wrong, I'll eat my feet.

Spoiler

There is no way King Harrow is dead. Viren totally transferred his soul into the bird. It makes total sense considering Viren's personality. Yes, Harrow just blew up at him, and Viren in turn is outraged because he had been trying to do the right thing by sacrificing himself. But even if that incident pushed Viren over the edge into dark side mode, you don't just throw away a lifetime relationship because of one incident. So I think Viren saw a way to both save the king and to punish him, by transferring his spirit into Pip. Also, the ribbons would probably still fall off the moonshadow elf assassins, since the magic could read the body as dead, not realizing the soul is elsewhere. One more thing; if you go back into the early episodes of S1, right after the assassination, there's 1 or 2 scenes where Viren talks to Pip almost like he's human. Coincidence? I think not. 

Oh yeah, and the bird escaped in season 2. I don't remember exactly when, but I think it was during one of Viren's tantrums when he couldn't figure out how to use the mirror. The cage got knocked over and the bird flew out the window. Why include this detail if the bird isn't important? How else could the bird be important? And remember, Ezran can talk to animals B)

Edited by ILuvHats

1 hour ago, ILuvHats said:

@mtthgn already mentioned this a few months ago, but I'm going to bring it up again because if this theory is wrong, I'll eat my feet.

Reveal hidden contents

There is no way King Harrow is dead. Viren totally transferred his soul into the bird. It makes total sense considering Viren's personality. Yes, Harrow just blew up at him, and Viren in turn is outraged because he had been trying to do the right thing by sacrificing himself. But even if that incident pushed Viren over the edge into dark side mode, you don't just throw away a lifetime relationship because of one incident. So I think Viren saw a way to both save the king and to punish him, by transferring his spirit into Pip. We don't. Also, the ribbons would probably still fall off the moonshadow elf assassins, since the magic could read the body as dead, not realizing the soul is elsewhere. One more thing; if you go back into the early episodes of S1, right after the assassination, there's 1 or 2 scenes where Viren talks to Pip almost like he's human. Coincidence? I think not. 

Oh yeah, and the bird escaped in season 2. I don't remember exactly when, but I think it was during one of Viren's tantrums when he couldn't figure out how to use the mirror. The cage got knocked over and the bird flew out the window. Why include this detail if the bird isn't important? How else could the bird be important? And remember, Ezran can talk to animals B)

Oh my gosh, that theory makes so much sense! You've convinced me.

3 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

Reveal hidden contents

There is no way King Harrow is dead. Viren totally transferred his soul into the bird. It makes total sense considering Viren's personality. Yes, Harrow just blew up at him, and Viren in turn is outraged because he had been trying to do the right thing by sacrificing himself. But even if that incident pushed Viren over the edge into dark side mode, you don't just throw away a lifetime relationship because of one incident. So I think Viren saw a way to both save the king and to punish him, by transferring his spirit into Pip. Also, the ribbons would probably still fall off the moonshadow elf assassins, since the magic could read the body as dead, not realizing the soul is elsewhere. One more thing; if you go back into the early episodes of S1, right after the assassination, there's 1 or 2 scenes where Viren talks to Pip almost like he's human. Coincidence? I think not. 

I actually never noticed the significance of the bird until my rewatch of the series. That’s my tentative theory as well. It seems like all of the foreshadowing is pointing to that, and with Ezran’s ability to talk to animals, it seems very plausible.

51 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

I actually never noticed the significance of the bird until my rewatch of the series. That’s my tentative theory as well. It seems like all of the foreshadowing is pointing to that, and with Ezran’s ability to talk to animals, it seems very plausible.

It's funny, I somehow immediately latched onto this theory my first time through the series. In fact, the moment I saw Viren talk to the bird, I was like "I see what's going on here." It's pretty uncommon that I notice stuff like this. For example, when I watched Detective Pikachu, I caught none of the plot twists, even though some of them were pretty obvious.

I recently had a thought.  There are 6 primal sources.  Calum has six important people in his life.  His mother who is associated with sky(breath just breath), his brother who is associated with earth(stubbornness and animal comunication), Reyla who is associated with moon(mysterious new relationship and a different kind of person then Calum is used to), Soren who is associated with sun(brash, strong and good humored), Claudia(teacher bringer of information) and his stepfather Harrow who I can't place(which annoys me).

11 hours ago, Karger said:

I recently had a thought.  There are 6 primal sources.  Calum has six important people in his life.  His mother who is associated with sky(breath just breath), his brother who is associated with earth(stubbornness and animal comunication), Reyla who is associated with moon(mysterious new relationship and a different kind of person then Calum is used to), Soren who is associated with sun(brash, strong and good humored), Claudia(teacher bringer of information) and his stepfather Harrow who I can't place(which annoys me).

oh wow. that makes a lot of sense actually. I'd assume that Claudia is the oceans (as oceans often represent stability, which in the context of TPD is true) and Harrow is stars (because stars mean guidance or enlightenment, which, even though he is (probably) dead, Harrow still guides Callum).

Hey @The Dude That Wore White, It's generally frowned upon by the mods to double post (Post twice in a row). If you want to add something to your post, I'd recommend either editing your original post to include the new information or images, or waiting for someone else to post before making a new post. Hope this helps in the future!

10 hours ago, The Dude That Wore White said:

oh wow. that makes a lot of sense actually. I'd assume that Claudia is the oceans (as oceans often represent stability, which in the context of TPD is true) and Harrow is stars (because stars mean guidance or enlightenment, which, even though he is (probably) dead, Harrow still guides Callum).

But the starts are about understanding and divination both of which are qualities Claudia possesses.  She figures out Ezrin's abilities with animals in just a few hours conversation and she is wise enough to understand the feelings of both her mother and her father on their divorce.

Season 3 tomorrow!!! I'm so hyped :)

At the Seattle Geek Girl Con, the voice actor for Rayla was holding a Q & A (which I attended, duh) and it really got me excited for the new season. So I went through and rewatched the first two seasons and...

Has anyone else noticed that Callum's rune cube has a face that slides open?

Look at the face on the right, with the ocean rune on it. The triangles in the corners don't line up with the other faces. All the triangles in the other corners line up across faces, but not that one. I thought it might be a mistake, but every shot I can find has that little misalignment on the ocean face -- only the ocean face, and always the ocean face. I ran this theory past a few people, and they seem to agree.

Sorry if it's common knowledge at this point and I just wasn't aware, but I thought it was interesting :D

52160edbb2ab9adcc1244e632ecc0919_display_large.jpg

I already binged through season three yesterday and storms was it a ride!
The storytelling was so much faster than in the first season and I loved where they went with the characters!

Spoilers for the whole season!

Spoiler

Callum and Rayla were absolutely adorable this season, from beginning to end!

I got a bit angry when they met Ethari and feared they'd really kill off Runaan, thus having three out of four openly queer characters on the show dying. I would have taken great offense here. Thankfully, Runaan seems to still have a chance!

I really likes the glimpses of Elven culture we got, especially among the Sunfire Elves. Of course, I was cheering A LOT for Janai and Amaya and them holding hands in the last episode? AWESOME.

Also Soren had amazing character development. It's tragic how the two siblings grow apart. I don't want Claudia to fully fall to dark magic, though I fear it might already be too late. She did really go on and brought Viren back from the dead? Ooopps. Can't be good.

Also, Aaravos was delightful. I wasn't on the hype train as almost the whole fandom was when he was introduced and I don't like him particularly, but he is fascinating.

Kasef was a bit of a prick, but also hot, and I would have liked for him to come around? He did remind me of Kaladin, which might be a reason why I wanted him to be one of the good guys. Perpetually angry, brooding, dark-skinned guy with long black hair? Bridgeboy! XD

I loved that there were so many dragons. Dragons are always the best! I hope Sol Regem from the first episode will reappear in s4!

Edited by Winds Alight

Binged the show yesterday morning. My thoughts...Most of the things I "predicted" would happen didn't, and I'm happier because of it. The 9 episode season is starting to show it's cracks, as Season 3 of TDP felt a LOT like Season 3 of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Spoiler

Wind magic user gets the moon powered girl, eldest son of a king realizes dad is abusive and joins the opposite side, while the prodigy daughter with her own issues with each of her parents faces a larger breakdown. Epic battle that reminded me more of the mid-season finale than the end, and everyone coming back for a "final battle."

This isn't a bad thing, as these are tropes we know and love, and they're done well in TDP. It just wouldn't be as glaring if the mind behind this show wasn't the mind behind ALTA too. 

Viren's arc this season sent him down a path I hoped he wouldn't go down, but was always inevitable. Claudia and Callum were pretty stagnant this season, but they had a lot of development last season so it was fair. Ezran and Rayla grew up so much. I'm proud. 

Overall, Season 3 was a funny, emotional, and occasionally shocking end to our current story arc. It's still on the path to becoming a great successor to ALTA and a great show period, but it needs to break the chains of the past - ALTA, Korra, Voltron, all of it - to do so. Future seasons will give it that chance. 

I was underwhelmed actually.  Spoilers ahead!  Season 2 was just about perfect but I am not sure what they were going for in season 3.  They act like they are trying to absolve Harrow for his responsibility in killing Thunder.  I also think that the unicorn horn should have been most of its own episode and I wanted to spend more time in the sunfire elf city.  Also the way Reyla was rescued when falling felt weird.  It would have worked for a moon arcanum unlocking moment but as a way to summon more skymagic it does not really seem to work.  Also why exactly does Calum not get to spend any time training sky magic?  He should know more spells by now and we should know more about how primal magic works!  I will admit they get a bit better on rewatch.  I still hate love being the answer.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

16 hours ago, TheGirlWhoLookedUp said:

I haven’t been able to finish the season yet and I’m on episode 4, but I saw this sketch during the credits and it made me laugh so hard. :lol:0729A93E-21DC-42CF-9C83-AABD46498412.thumb.jpeg.386813c156e9f2cffa0ebd449fe164b9.jpeg  

They had another of him doing the Sokka pose with a bowl of cactus juice :D:D:D

I will get over it when they do. Which will be never.

!!! Also I found another thing that may possibly be about the rune cube !!!

On TDP's official website, they have a rundown of some of the lore, including some overview stuff about some of the Primal Sources. This was the text on the Ocean card:

THE OCEAN

Ocean magic draws on the depth of the oceans and tides, and its power connects through rivers and lakes that flow back to it. Ocean mages can reflect the nature of their home: a swamp mage and a river mage would look very different, though they both connect to the same Primal Source. Ocean-connected creatures often forge strong connections to others, and can have hidden depths.

Aside from the pun, they might be implying a level of mystery associated with the Ocean source :)

Edited by Reckless Reader