BastilleSpren

Question about Smedrys

6 posts in this topic

If a Smedry marries someone, that person gets a Talent because they're legally a Smedry. So what if a Smedry adopts someone? Legally, they would be a Smedry, so they should get a Talent, but I don't think it was ever addressed in the books. 

And what if a female Smedry marries someone? Does she still have a Talent if she isn't legally a Smedry? And does her spouse get a Talent? 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, BastilleSpren said:

If a Smedry marries someone, that person gets a Talent because they're legally a Smedry. So what if a Smedry adopts someone? Legally, they would be a Smedry, so they should get a Talent, but I don't think it was ever addressed in the books. 

And what if a female Smedry marries someone? Does she still have a Talent if she isn't legally a Smedry? And does her spouse get a Talent? 

I can't answer because I am not Brandon but I assume it has to do with changing your name.  IE if husband takes wife's name he gets talent.

Edited by Karger

2 minutes ago, Karger said:

I can't answer because I am not Brandon but I assume it has to do with changing your name.  IE if husband takes wife's name he gets talent.

Thanks, I would assume that too. So, does that also answer the adoption question? Like, if the adopted child doesn't take on Smedry as a last name, they don't get a Talent? And obviously vice versa 

I suppose

Kidpen [PENDING REVIEW]

Do Smedry Talents transferring between marriage have to do with whether the couple sees themselves as married, or the spouse seeing themselves as a Smedry?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Excellent question! I am going to go with... whether the... I've thought a lot about this one. And I keep thinking and wanting to distinguish it from cosmere magics, which are all perception based. So I want this to kind of be more about the oath sworn, that the magic kind of seals, which also has a cosmere-ish sort of feel to it but not quite as much. When you have sworn the vows, so to speak, that's what the magic cares about.

Skype Q&A (Oct. 8, 2018)

So presumably adoption either depends on the exact situation, or never works at all. 

Thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense. Now all I need to do, is find the Free Kingdoms, find a Smedry willing to adopt me, hope it will work in my case, and then I'll have a Talent! Super easy ;)