Hoid Lite

Abdication of Shards by Vessels

Question

Hi! I am pretty new to the Cosmere, but I think that I have read all of the published works, and I have been listening to the Shardcast (which is great). I have heard the hosts mention several times that we know Vessels can abdicate. I am guessing the this is from a WoB, but I haven’t been able to find the source. Can anyone direct me to where this information originated?

5 answers to this question

It was a FAQ Friday answer on Facebook. 

Questioner

Can holders of Shards give them up voluntarily? If so, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, a Vessel for a Shard of Adonalsium can give up their power if they wish.

As for what would happen...well, there are some variables in there. Kind of like the variables in what happens to a bucket of water if you dump it out. Depends on where it falls, how strong the wind is, what the air is like.

Power dropped like this, if left alone, could end up Splintering and turning into something like spren/seons. It could become something more like the Stormfather--a large, self-aware entity. It could become something like the Dor or many of the Unmade--something proto-aware, but not truly an individual. There are other possibilities as well, depending on lots of factors. (Are sapient beings involved? what is being done with the power--is it concentrated in the Spiritual Realm as normal, or is it being pushed somewhere else?)

FAQFriday 2017 (June 9, 2017)

Welcome to the Shard!

On a related topic, a Vessel giving up a Shard would see the influence of its intent on their thought process fade over time, though having Ascended there would be some permanent side-effects.

Argent (paraphrased)

If Ati had somehow managed to give up Ruin and returned to being a regular person, would his mind have gradually reverted from its corruption by Ruin's intent, or would he always be determined to destroy?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Over time Ruin's influence would fade, but Ati would remain a Sliver, so there would be some permanent effects.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 5, 2013)

Secret History Spoilers:

Spoiler

Didn't Leras give up his power to Kelsier, and Kelsier in turn give up his power to Vin in Secret History/ HoA? Does that count as an instance of abdication?

20 minutes ago, luluzulu said:

Secret History Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Leras give up his power to Kelsier, and Kelsier in turn give up his power to Vin in Secret History/ HoA? Does that count as an instance of abdication?

Yes it does but (Also SH spoilers):

Spoiler

Leras was dead by that point, so all that was left was his Cognitive Shadow. Similarly, Kell was a Cognitive Shadow as well during his Abdication. Cognitive Shadows probably end up different than normal people when Ascending and de-Ascending.

Edited by Invocation

Thanks for the responses. I think Calderis’s reply is the one being referenced in Shardcast. I have been trying to form a question for Brandon, and I wanted to have all the relevant info to inform my wording. The issue I have been questioning is whether any vessel has been so full of regret over the shattering of Adonalsium that he or she has abdicated his or her position as a vessel. My reading of Frost’s letter leads me to believe he regrets the incident, and that led me to wonder if any of the vessels might as well. I had considered the rapid Shardic transitions on Scadrial, so in my wording I intend to exclude Scadrial from consideration as those transfers do not fit into the reasoning behind my question. Also, I don’t know if they would be considered abdications but better to rule them out entirely.