Theory of M-Bot

Jawa2278

Hey guys, so I just finished Skyward a few days ago, and I had a really interesting idea/theory on what is going on here. Right before the Lifebuster explodes, M-Bot is running through his systems, trying to figure out a way to escape so they don't die in the blast. When he reaches the Cytonic hyperdrive however, something interesting happens, a line I think most readers may have overlooked. It reads something like: "Biological component activated" and then they jump about 100,000 Kilometers away I think. So here's my theory, I think M-Bot is an advanced scout ship, and it was used by the humans to scout out planets before they attacked the aliens in the war. I think that perhaps Cytonic humans weren't considered as freaks back then, and they were highly valued as scouts because they could jump places quickly and easily with specially designed ships. Now, M-Bot said he had been deactivated for something like 127 years, right? And the humans have been on the planet for 80 years I think. So I think it's possible that M-Bot and his pilot were scouts, and maybe they jumped to close to the automated defenses and got shot down. What do you guys think of my theory and the future of M-Bot?

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Skyward and I was thinking the same thing.  With the line about biological components I think it is clear that M-Bot was designed to be compatible with cytonic humans.  Which would line up with your theory.  I am sure M-Bot will have a large part to play in sequels and hopefully we will get more answers, but I think your theory is pretty sound.  My main question is what does the "M" actually stand for. Probably Mushrooms.

I'd like a conversation between Alcatraz and M-bot.

Seriously though, I think every ship designed before Detritus was meant to sync with Cytonic humans but either because of what happened on the Defiant or everyone who know how was killed, the ability was lost. Welcome to the shard

Edited by Angsos

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 2:08 PM, Angsos said:

I'd like a conversation between Alcatraz and M-bot.

Seriously though, I think every ship designed before Detritus was meant to sync with Cytonic humans but either because of what happened on the Defiant or everyone who know how was killed, the ability was lost. Welcome to the shard

I agree.  It sounds like the Detritus humans were able to create Starfighters because they discovered plans and machinery capable of producing Starfighters, rather than doing much design and engineering themselves, so likely the knowledge of how to make Cytonic compatible ships doesn't exist for the Detritus humans yet, since they aren't even willing to officially acknowledge the "defect".  Based on Spensa's revelations at the end of the book, I expect the Detritus humans will work in that direction though.

Edited by cfphelps

• 2 weeks later...

I think M-bot's previous pilot might have been fleeing from the other humans. Maybe they no longer wanted to fight and knew that M-bot would be taken away if they were discovered? I agree with the scout ship theory, but I feel like having M-bot's previous pilot be a "coward" would fit more into Spin's story line.