End of Era 3

Zodiac

So I think I may have discovered the end of era 3. I think that at the end of era 3, Scadrians as a whole are exposed the idea that there are other inhabited words. This probably takes some Justifying, so Que first wob

Questioner (paraphrased)

How much of the big cosmere stuff will be in Stormlight 3-5?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Not much. Just hints. The big cosmere stuff will come in Mistborn Era 3 and things more like Mistborn: Secret History for a long while. Some people just don't care about it.

Calamity Houston signing (Feb. 24, 2016)

Now that’s interesting right? Of course era 3 is the era that deals with Trell, but Autonomy and his servants really enough to justify “big cosmere stuff” however vague that type of wording is. I don’t think so. I think Scadrial has to be significantly changed in the end of era 3. But in a way that is different then era 1(Not making physical changes to the planet.)

Konet

Out of curiosity, which cosmere book are you most looking forward to writing/letting us read?

Brandon Sanderson

Hmm... Right now, either Stormlight 9 or Mistborn 10.

Argent

Where Mistborn 10 is the last book in Era 2?

Brandon Sanderson

The 1980s era. Whatever you want to call that era.

Mistborn: Secret History Explanation (Jan. 30, 2016)

It’s interesting that Brandon is looking forward to Mistborn book 10 over era 4. Brandon is a fan of twists, and if you’ve read alactraz 4, Firefight, or Well of Ascension, you know that Brandon is a fan of putting a HUGE twist in the penultimate story. And in a large way, era 3 is the penultimate story of an entire era, and will probably have a twist to mach.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Are you going to do a Mistborn: Secret History part 2 to talk about what Kelsier's doing during...

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Likely, but not 100% promise. It's kinda my time frame. A lot of the stuff that's happening right now is foreshadowing for Era 3 where Kelsier will have a much bigger role. Era 3, the 1980's one. So we'll see when I'm writing those if I need a Secret History to catch us up.

Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

This part is interesting, and perhaps the section I’m least confident about. In trying to come up with ways that the other worlds could be revealed to the Scadrians, my mind immediately jumped to kelsier. Kelsier is obviously aware of other worlds. As the god of at least two religions, it would be cool if Kelsier-after our heroes defeat Trell- revealed himself self to the world and told the Scadrian’s that Trell, who almost destroyed their planet, was one of many other shards. And that they needed to be ready, in case another one turned it’s eyes to Scadrial. Again, I’m a lot less confident in this section, but I definitely thought It was worth mentioning.   

I’m curious to hear what you guys think, because I think this would be a very interesting direction for the story to take.

Edited by Zodiac

I think it’s fairly likely that they become cosmere aware in era 3. They need to have some sort of incentive to create the ftl travel technology before era 4. 

About the first wob, it seems likely that he meant the last trilogy when he said “era 3.” I think he was still torn on calling Wax and Wayne era 2 or 1.5

As a thought, when you're quoting WoBs you should really use the quote tags (look for the quotation mark symbol when you're entering your text) since the way you're writing now means that the text you're quoting and the text representing your own thoughts are indistinguishable. Also, the all-bold's pretty distracting.

Anyhow, yes, Scadrial has to become very Cosmere-aware for Era 4 to happen so some big revelation in Era 3 is likely. We've already got the Set who are Cosmere-aware and working on their own goals with Trell's influence and Harmony is deliberately pushing Scadrial in that direction even now, so with the stage is already set for the big picture to become public knowledge sooner rather than later. Hoid and the other unknown force or forces pushing the development of instant noodles may also have a role to play. :D

Edited by Weltall

13 minutes ago, Weltall said:

As a thought, when you're quoting WoBs you should really use the quote tags (look for the quotation mark symbol when you're entering your text) since the way you're writing now means that the text you're quoting and the text representing your own thoughts are indistinguishable. Also, the all-bold's pretty distracting.

I wasn't going to say anything, but yes, please :)

I like this theory. I definitely think era 3 will cover a lot more cosmere aware situations and story. I dont know if the mechanics of world hopping would be explored then or not.

Oathbringer had a lot of crossover compared to earlier books. I would be highly surprised if we got to the end of Era 3 Mistborn and it wasn't more widely known about other planets on Scadrial.

Brandon has stated its more a 1980's feel and we were definitely looking to the stars then on Earth so I would be surprised is Scadrial doesn't have something similar. 

OK I mostly fixed the original post to be more in line with the rest of the server(I couldn't get that middle paragraph to unbold, however. ) 

19 hours ago, Deathwielded said:

I like this theory. I definitely think era 3 will cover a lot more cosmere aware situations and story. I dont know if the mechanics of world hopping would be explored then or not.

Oathbringer had a lot of crossover compared to earlier books. I would be highly surprised if we got to the end of Era 3 Mistborn and it wasn't more widely known about other planets on Scadrial.

Brandon has stated its more a 1980's feel and we were definitely looking to the stars then on Earth so I would be surprised is Scadrial doesn't have something similar. 

Definitely. Oathbringer has a lot of crossovers, and that is a series that Brandon wants to be mostly self contained. So I think Scadrial would be a perfect place for deep crossovers, especially considering era 4 and Secret History; a book that has more characters native to planets that aren't Scadrial than it has Scadrians.   

Edited by Zodiac

Just to add to the big things happening at the end of era 3:

Questioner

*asks for a "future quote of Harmony"*

Brandon Sanderson

This is clever, I've never had this before.

Questioner

I wondered whether I could challenge you to do it...

Brandon Sanderson

*writes* "It is yours."

I don't know if that will actually be the quote, but you can come ask me after Mistborn 9?

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

It's from several years ago, but considering he likely only has an outline for era 3 it seems like a pretty big plot-point-moment. Also, he didn't have to think very long (there's audio), I'm fairly convinced Harmony will be giving up or granting something as a major turning point in era 3. On the other hand, it could just as easily be something nebulous like: humans desire non-intervention-->Harmony: Your future is yours now.

So I don't know, but I'm excited. Thinking about era 3 and 4 tends to draw anticipationspren. 

Edited by Elwynn

• 8 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic