Nightblood's voice

Coyote_Durango

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, StoneBound said:

Well, I listened to the audiobooks because I had them in my library so I just think that they Nightblood sounds like what Michael Kramer made them sound like.

That is starting to happen to me as well because I read the audio books.  I am worried about reading skyward that way now even though I have it because what if they do Spensa wrong?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2019-04-16 at 0:38 PM, NattyBo said:

Honestly, Michael Kramer does a pretty good job of Nightblood in Oathbreaker.  Since I'm reading Warbreaker after I've read and listened to OB, I have his version in my head now.

I really, REALLY love Nightblood's voice, as done by Michael i SA. "You really should DRAW me..." :) As a visually impaired listener, we need some change in character's voices, or things end up droning, and Nightblood's such a seriously dangerous sword, yet with a somewhat goofy voice.  IMO it works so well.  He pulls off a few funny lines in an otherwise gloomy book (RoW).

Listening to all 4 SA books over the last month, it's stayed pretty consistent. (RoW twice, just done second time last night...phew) I listened to the first 3 Stormlight Archive first, and didn't know Nightblood OR Vasher/Zahel's story until recently, when I finally listened to Warbreaker. 

I'm listening to Warbreaker right now, Nightblood hasn't spoken yet.

ETA- Doh- I'm in a Warbreaker thread...pardon my wandering.

Edited by cvamoca
needed to add a word and ETA

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/21/2021 at 8:27 AM, Shinwarrior said:

The word choice has me thinking of a monotone Morgan Freeman saying.. "Hello, Would you like to destroy some evil today?"

I love this.

I'm one of the Michael Kramer listeners, so I naturally put that voice on him. But based on some things in Warbreaker and the Stormlight books, it's implied that Nightblood is supposed to have an adult-sounding voice, but after getting to know him, you'll notice he thinks like a child. If his voice was child-like as well, nobody would remark on his child-like thoughts because it would make sense to them.

In one or two places, it's said that his voice is neither masculine nor feminine, although that doesn't rule out the possibility of it having a high or low pitch. However, I think if it was, then someone would've said something about it. They probably also would've remarked on any noticeable distortion. The only think we've heard in that regard is Vivenna noting that his voice in her head sounds more distant when she's further away, so I think we can assume that it's average in pitch and sounds basically like a human voice, just without a clear gender to it.

I don't remember if Brandon ever indicates how fast Nightblood talks, but I think the only pieces we're missing are that and his accent. Accent is a weird thing to think about in this case, since he speaks to people in their heads, which could mean that he speaks to people in their own language and with their accent. I don't know if that's the case, but if not, then Nightblood had to learn to speak a language Szeth could understand (Alethi?) sometime between arriving on Roshar and meeting Szeth. This gets into some strange territory I'm not sure I have enough knowledge to explore, regarding Connection and such.