Nightblood's voice

Coyote_Durango

I was just curious to know what kind of voicing you gave Nightblood as you read his dialog in Warbreaker and his appearances in Stormlight Archive. Almost immediately for me, the voice that came to me was Kristoffer Tabori's HK-47 from Knight of the Old Republic. IMO, Nightblood as a character was comically detached and had a naive bloodthirsty worldview that only a soulless construct could have. So that filtered, morbidly cheery sound from HK-47 is what really fit for me. Naturally, I was a little thrown off when I heard Michael Kramer's rendition of Nightblood's voice in the Stormlight audiobooks, but that isn't his fault. 

So I'm curious what other readers think. Who or what was your muse when imagining Nightblood's voice? Who do you think would fit as a voice actor should there ever be a film adaptation?

I always hear a cheerful and slightly higher pitched, but a somewhat neutral and oddly faint voice. Like how when I imagine a character's mental voice as being slightly fainter than their regular voice.

Failsafe is actually a really good comparison, although I imagine Nightblood being slightly more smooth and less computer like. @Lunamor Nightblood doesn't have a gender. Vasher just addresses him as male, so it stuck. Cosmere spoiler: 

Spoiler

Lift actually addresses Nightblood as a she, so either his(it's?) voice is neutral to go either way, or it changes based on who he's talking to.

Heartlight

What is Nightblood's opinions on gender, and who decided on him having he/him pronouns?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is fascinated by gender, and trying to figure it out. Unlike spren like Syl, Nightblood has not self gender assigned as an influence of interacting with humans. That said, Vasher was probably the one who just started calling him He, so if you want to take the issue up with anyone, go to him.

/r/books AMA 2015 (March 13, 2015)

4 hours ago, Invocation said:

I pretty much just use Alan Tudyk.

Maybe a bit more androgynous-sounding, given the spoiler Wandering Investor posted, but that works really well. Say, in his K2S0 voice because he's got that whole 'You're not using me properly' thing going.

For my part, I've imagined him soundling like a slightly hyperactive little kid. But Vaaaaasher, you said you'd let me Destroy some Evil todaaaaaay!

On 3/13/2019 at 9:02 PM, Karger said:

My Nightblood's voice is eager like a child who is getting ready to play a game

On 3/14/2019 at 0:23 PM, Child of Hodor said:

Childlike, upbeat, somewhat far away sounding or like it's coming from inside something. With little reverb to make it more inhuman sounding.I guess because it's a sword I imagine the voice sounding like it's bouncing off metal.  

Mine sounds like this too. Very young and chipper preadolescent. Maybe the way Dick sounds in YJ season 1? But mostly like my five year old.

Because it’s a pre-adolescent voice you can’t tell if it’s male or female as those changes have yet to occur.

Spoiler

Vasher?
Do you want to destroy some evil?
Come on, let's go and slay!
I never see you anymore
Let me out the sheath
It's like you've gone away
We used to be best buddies
And now we're not
I wish you would tell me why!
Do you want to destroy some evil?
It doesn't have to be a person
Shut up, Nightblood
Okay, bye
Do you want to destroy some evil?
Or Worldhop around the cosmere?
I think some company is overdue
I've started talking to
The carvings on the sheath!
It gets a little lonely
All these juicy souls
Just watching the hours tick by
(tick-tock tick-tock tick-tock tick-tock)
Vasher, please I know you're in there
Evils are asking to be slayed
They say, "Destroy us" and I'm trying to
I'm right out here for you
Just let me out
We only have each other
It's just you and me
What are we gonna do?
Do you destroy some evil?

12 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Ever since the "Cosmere the Musical" thread, and the "Do you wanna kill some evil?" song parody, Nightblood has sounded like young Anna from Frozen

Edited by Pagliacci

So what does the audiobook reading of Nightblood sound like? Is it the same reading in Warbreaker as at the end of Words of Radiance or in Oathbringer?

Me, I hear a somewhat childish or androgynous voice, like a 10 year old boy that could just as easily be a 10 year old girl on the phone.

Because Nightblood reminds me very much of a 10 year old with a short attention span, a poor grasp of time, gets bored, annoyed, amused, confused, etc., but one that also has a WMD at hand occasionally remembers to DESTROY EVIL. THE EVIL MUST BE DESTROYED!!!

17 hours ago, robardin said:

So what does the audiobook reading of Nightblood sound like? Is it the same reading in Warbreaker as at the end of Words of Radiance or in Oathbringer?

Me, I hear a somewhat childish or androgynous voice, like a 10 year old boy that could just as easily be a 10 year old girl on the phone.

Because Nightblood reminds me very much of a 10 year old with a short attention span, a poor grasp of time, gets bored, annoyed, amused, confused, etc., but one that also has a WMD at hand occasionally remembers to DESTROY EVIL. THE EVIL MUST BE DESTROYED!!!

I'm not sure about Warbreaker because I haven't listened to the audiobook version of that yet. However most of Nightblood's lines in the Stormlight books are read by Michael Kramer. I'd say he gives Nightblood a baritone nobleman voice. Sort of like an enthusiastic butler. As far as Alyssa Bresnahan's voice for him in Warbreaker, I'm not sure. I'll listen to that one soon, but maybe someone else can answer that.

I'm biased because I read Nightblood with HK-47's voice, so I just felt like Michael Kramer's Nightblood just didn't fit the character. I can see pretty much every voice that people have mentioned so far fitting better. On a sidenote, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thought of a star wars droid as a comparison lol.

• 2 weeks later...