Mistborn Lightweaver

Ignoring all of the practical things a Mistborn could do with the ability to create illusions, lets talk about how cool they would look.

So I was thinking about how impractical Mistcloaks are and a really cool visual idea occurred to me. Imagine, as the title suggests, a Mistborn with access to Lightweaving (any kind, not necessarily Stormlight). They could create a Mistcloak with their Lightweaving that doesn't make noise and can't be grabbed or snagged. This made me think of a scene in The Wheel of Time where one of the Forsaken (Mesana I think) appears to one of her minions. She covered herself in an illusion of black ribbons which twist and blow in a phantom wind (think Patterns head in cloak form). Apply that to the Mistcloak idea and you're left with a perfect garment for scaring guards Marasi, being sneaky looking cool, and brooding on top of Gothic architecture.

As another benefit, you could burn pewter all the time to stay warm and just walk around naked with Lightwoven clothing. You could really mess with people by letting the illusion drop for a split second every once in a while.

I can't help but say that I can think of some cooler things to do then messing with people by being in the nude for a split second.  Could a lightweaving mistborn create several versions of themselves flying in different directions and fool an atium burner? 

13 minutes ago, TheGirlWhoLookedUp said:

I wonder if you can soulcast allomantic metals, because if so, being an Elsecaller and a Mistborn would be SO useful.^_^

As long as it's not a Godmetal absolutely. 

Questioner

If I were to impulsively Soulcast pewter, the way Shallan does with the blood in The Way of Kings, would it come out that an Allomancer be able to use it?

Brandon Sanderson

You could create Allomantically viable metals, yes.

Questioner

But is it automatic?

Brandon Sanderson

I would say that the pure metals are, but the alloys are not.

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

ninch

Could a person Soulcast more atium and lerasium if they had a bead?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Investiture messes things like that up.

General Signed Books 2014 (April 29, 2014)

And just think. Hoid has both of those powers now. 

Here is what I have to wonder. Let's say a lightweaver Mistborn soulcasts some metal and then uses a hack to let it fuel soulcasting. Would the Mistborn be able to have a net investiture gain as a result of directly tapping into Preservation's power? 

Anyway, on the point of illusions, as we know they can form basically any kind of wavelength, maybe they also could create illusionary bronze pulses.

1 hour ago, HSuperLee said:

Here is what I have to wonder. Let's say a lightweaver Mistborn soulcasts some metal and then uses a hack to let it fuel soulcasting. Would the Mistborn be able to have a net investiture gain as a result of directly tapping into Preservation's power? 

Anyway, on the point of illusions, as we know they can form basically any kind of wavelength, maybe they also could create illusionary bronze pulses.

How would that hack work?  For the compounding hack with feruchemy to work you need to burn a metal that has been charged with feruchemical investiture to make the investiture from Preservation act like that Feruchemy rather than standard allomancy.  But soulcasting doesnt leave any charge in the item (unlike Forgery...)

51 minutes ago, Quantus said:

How would that hack work?  For the compounding hack with feruchemy to work you need to burn a metal that has been charged with feruchemical investiture to make the investiture from Preservation act like that Feruchemy rather than standard allomancy.  But soulcasting doesnt leave any charge in the item (unlike Forgery...)

Well that is the issue isn't it. We know hacks with other investitures are possible, such as fueling awakening with stormlight. The problem it seems is getting the investiture "undirected" or "directed to a different frequency" so to speak. I have no doubt someone burning mists could use them for the surges if they were a radiant, as that power is directed by the intention of the person burning it and the physical capabilities they have for magic. As for how to replicate that effect with normal metal, I have no idea.

Personally I think Soulcasting metal to use for allomancy, then using a hack to power Soulcasting with Allomancy would result in a net loss.

I have no real evidence for it though, it's just my opinion.

Edited by Jace21

3 minutes ago, Jace21 said:

Personally I think Soulcasting metal to use for allomancy, then using a hack to power Soulcasting with Allomancy would result in a net loss.

Agreed. I don't think it would work out any better than Lift using progression to grow plants and then eating them. 

17 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Agreed. I don't think it would work out any better than Lift using progression to grow plants and then eating them. 

The difference though is that in Lift's case it's a closed loop, and thus entropy kicks in. That is not the case with allomancy as the metals themselves are not providing the investiture. I'm not saying I'm sure there would be a net gain, but there could be, and if there was it would be drawn from Preservation.

3 hours ago, Jace21 said:

I think that while Soulcasting seems to be fairly inefficient in general, Allomancy inherent efficiency would out weight it.  The metals have a very high effective Investiture density because the power comes directly from Preservation.  Just a few shavings can allow you to fly/fight/Soothe/have enhanced senses for hours.  Jasnah's able to Soulcast entire bodies for not a ridiculous amount of Stormlight.  Imagine how long you could fly via steelpushing using an entire person's worth of steel.  Much, much  longer than Kaladin could fly for using an equivalent amount of Stormlight.  

• Chaos locked this topic