Greenhara - Salvation?

Sorana

51 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

Bill watched from the ground as Taz took out the bandit. Greens above, why had he decided to hire someone. Red only knew he had that debt Kate to pay. For all he knew this could have all been a set up by her. She got her dirty hands into everything, and that saloon of hers, well, Bill had always been suspicious of it being the only one in a town like this.

”Taz, I’m fine for now, I’ve had to patch myself up from worse scrapes then this. Can you search the bodies? Reckon bodies like those aught to have some valuables lyin around, and men like that wouldn’t trust each other with a drop of water.”

Taz stopped his examination of Bill's boss, and thought for a moment.  "Well, that's why you're the boss," he said, then grinned.  He went outside to search them.  What Bill had said had made good sense.  He searched the pockets, and found a canteen on one.  He found a few bits of gold on another.  Of course, there were the bullets and guns.  Stuff like that, clean as it was, was extremely valuable.  While he was at his task, he caught himself wondering about the nature of Greenhara.  Was it really the salvation that everyone claimed?  And if it was, then how?  He thought about the rumors flying around about the caverns underneath the city.  Maybe the answer really was there.  How would you find such a place?  His mind came up with nothing compared to the bounty he'd found from the robbers.  

He returned to find Bill's wound expertly bandaged, and a fire already crackling in the hearth.  "Where do you want me to put this stuff," he asked, gesturing to the loot.

@Snipexe

Now would be a great moment for Gant to show up.

@I think I am here.

14 hours ago, Snipexe said:

"Put the guns in cupboard to your right, the rest I'll sort out myself. If their horses haven't bolted yet, can you bring them to the shed out back?"

@Vargo Seldon

Taz nodded, put the weapons away, and headed out.  He was rounding the back of the shed when he heard a knock.

13 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Gant approached the door of the place he was supposed to be. A Bill, that owed Kate money. He grit his teeth at the fact the child was alone, but he’d be able to get her again much sooner. With a knock on the door, Gant braced himself.

@Vargo Seldon

@Snipexe

2 hours ago, Snipexe said:

Bill limped to the door. Who in red would be knocking on his door? He opened it, and looked out at the man in front of him.

”Who the green are you?”

@Vargo Seldon 

@I think I am here.

He heard Bill open it, and dashed back around.  This could be another bandit.  He saw a scruffy-looking man standing in the doorway, and his actions became automatic.  Lacking his staff, Taz charged at the man.  He hit him with a flying tackle, sending them both sprawling.  He put his hand around the man's throat and raised his fist, shooting threatening questions at the man.  "Who are you!?," he accused, "What do you want with us!?"

@Snipexe

@I think I am here.

17 hours ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Taz nodded, put the weapons away, and headed out.  He was rounding the back of the shed when he heard a knock.

He heard Bill open it, and dashed back around.  This could be another bandit.  He saw a scruffy-looking man standing in the doorway, and his actions became automatic.  Lacking his staff, Taz charged at the man.  He hit him with a flying tackle, sending them both sprawling.  He put his hand around the man's throat and raised his fist, shooting threatening questions at the man.  "Who are you!?," he accused, "What do you want with us!?”

Gant coudn’t get two words out before another man came and charge-tackled him to the ground, demanding who he was.

Heaving his strength, Gant tried sending a fist into the head of the man, before standing up and brushing himself off. From the look of it, the man who’d tackled him was a hermit. “Rusts above, that was stupid,” Gant remarked, taking out his wooden knuckles and donning them. “How’d you expect me to answer who I was with a hand around my throat? This ain’t a stage play, son.”

He turned to the one who’d answered the door. “Now would you, ol’ feller, happen to be Bill?”

Taz gaped in surprise as he was easily shaken off.  "What?!  After a bandit attack I'm just gonna let anyone who wants to stroll up to the front door?  You must think I'm stupid."  He eyed the man suspiciously as Bill answered.  He didn't appear to mean any harm, but better safe than sorry.  He went around back and grabbed his staff.

@I think I am here.

@Snipexe 

On 07/04/2019 at 10:14 PM, Snipexe said:

“Aye, I’m Bill. Whose asking?”

“Me, chucklehead,” Gant replied, watching the man’s apparent bodyguard reach for his staff. A true hermit, then, and apparently working for this Bill.

Gant adjusted his ragged and ripped tie and straightened his shirt. With one hand he brushed away hair from his forehead and with another he pointed at Bill, wooden knuckles a stark contrast to his tanned skin.

“You apparently owe some dame some money. Consider me the taxman.”

@Snipexe

@Vargo Seldon

Edited by I think I am here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2019 at 1:28 AM, Snipexe said:

“Tell Kate this ought to cover the rent for the next month or two. I’ve never seen you around here, you new?”

Gant caught it with one hand.

“You could say that, yeah,” he said, disappointed there hadn’t been a fight. He eyed the canteen the man had given him. “This better cut it, I ain’t gonna be so nice if I have to come ‘round here a second time.”

He looked to the hermit and the man again. Bill.

@Vargo Seldon

@Snipexe

Edited by I think I am here.

Taz listened to the brief exchange with faint interest.  Taxes weren't really his... thing.  However, the rumors that this could be the place made him perk up.  He briefly imaged the whole of the rusts being cured.  The fallen lands reclaimed.  New lands discovered.  It would be the beginning of a whole new era.  One he would welcome with open arms.  He'd need to gather a party of willing men though.  It would take time.  He'd need to begin to explore the city.

He walked over to Bill after he was done.  "Have you ever considered the rumors about this place?" He asked.  Bill, as expected, reacted badly.  

"You mean the rumors of this 'salvation'?  I'll tell you what I think about that," he said, then spit on the ground.  "'Salvation' doesn't put food on the table.  You're a good fighter, and from what I've seen, a good man.  Many good men have been ruined by that rusting myth."  He shook his head with dry amusement, "I wouldn't lose a fighter like you to some rusting wild hog chase."  

Taz stepped back, smiled, and said, "All I'm saying is that you should consider it.  I'd rather live than survive.  If we starve in the process, it'd be better than this half-life we're living now."  He looked suddenly grave, and stared his employer straight in the eye.  "All our existence has come to is scrounging up water, food, and good company.  We've sunk so low," he gestured to the dead bandits, "As to have to defend one of the basic needs of life.  I remember a time when everyone wasn't so caught up in the moment.  When we had time to enjoy things.  Before all of the rusting water rusting rusted away.  If we survive at the cost of our souls, I'd rather die trying to regain them." 

He turned from Bill and headed to his shack for the night.

@Snipexe

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. Snip handed that over to me last weekend and I had to read through everything another time first.

Bill watched the stranger go and turned back to Gant, shrugging at his own words.

"Sorry 'bout that. Stressed out a bit. The bandits and then we have these preachers and the other farmers, don't make my life easier."

He shook his head.

"Got this meeting tomorrow, they want to talk about the land and how to distribute it and if I can keep mine. And I don't even know if I should go there. No idea who told them, they're in charge, but alas, they are."

"Is there anything else you need?"

@I think I am here.

9 hours ago, Sorana said:

“Is there anything else you need?"

Gant shook his head. “I came for payment, and I got it.” He looked to the farmland around both of them.

“It seems whoever’s got the horses, the guns, the Rusters, they’re the ones in charge. I bet if you started your own lil’ group,” he gestured to where the hermit had gone.

“You could be the one callin’ the meetings.”

4 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Gant shook his head. “I came for payment, and I got it.” He looked to the farmland around both of them.

“It seems whoever’s got the horses, the guns, the Rusters, they’re the ones in charge. I bet if you started your own lil’ group,” he gestured to where the hermit had gone.

“You could be the one callin’ the meetings.”

Bill grunted something that could have been an agreement.

"No money to pay for that money. No influence either. And then these preachers heat the situation up as well."