Greenhara - Salvation?

Sorana

2 hours ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Taz nodded.  The man was sensible, if not exactly accepting.  "If not a band of mercenaries, then just myself.  I can guard your lands as well as I can being just one man, and earn your trust.  I may be a formidable fighter, but you could probably hold me off."  He trailed off, but then a new thought occurred to him, "I could also do manual labor for you to earn your trust.  I can't lift anything heavy, but I can do all of the customary farm chores, and even work in the fields a little."

He considered the offer. He would be needing an extra hand for his next crop, especially with the land he’d been able to pick up from down yonder. 

“How much water do you want?”

Water is currency

2 hours ago, Snipexe said:

He considered the offer. He would be needing an extra hand for his next crop, especially with the land he’d been able to pick up from down yonder. 

“How much water do you want?”

Taz, relieved, smiled.  He was on the verge of stating his price, when the thunder of hooves was heard on the dusty road.  The man Bill cursed and ducked inside, saying "It's those rusting bandits!  They come every crop season, and try to take what's mine."  He rushed out carrying a shotgun, and as he passed he signaled for Taz to follow.  Taz ran after young Bill, unslinging his staff from his back.  They stood by the gate to confront the dark men riding down the road.  

The bandits slowed their mounts to a canter, then a stop.  They looked at the two staunch men blocking their way with barely-concealed amusement....

Hope you don't mind me taking brief control of the NPC.

Edited by Vargo Seldon

Journal, 1,083rd day,

I found Greenhara. There’s a saloon here, too. Some lady knows about the kid. The kid is going well. This place doesn’t take well to Rusters. I wonder how they’d think of the baby I have now.

If there’s any place she can survive, it has to be here, right? The greenest of places, where the rust doesn’t spread.

Enough,

- Hargreaves.

Gant finished his journal entry and snapped the small book shut. The baby was still sleeping, and Gant had woken up early. His early exhaustion from travel to Greenhara had worn out.

Exiting the room, he took one last look at the sleeping baby and closed the door behind him. The baby would be fine.

Walking down the steps he went back to the bottom floor, to see if there was anything interesting to be done.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:25 PM, Vargo Seldon said:

Taz, relieved, smiled.  He was on the verge of stating his price, when the thunder of hooves was heard on the dusty road.  The man Bill cursed and ducked inside, saying "It's those rusting bandits!  They come every crop season, and try to take what's mine."  He rushed out carrying a shotgun, and as he passed he signaled for Taz to follow.  Taz ran after young Bill, unslinging his staff from his back.  They stood by the gate to confront the dark men riding down the road.  

The bandits slowed their mounts to a canter, then a stop.  They looked at the two staunch men blocking their way with barely-concealed amusement....

Don’t worry about, godmodding an NPC in this situation is fine. Also, sorry for the delay in posting.

Harold watched the two men of the farmstead pull out weapons and approach. He let out a laugh. 

“You see this Farsight? The farmers think they can stand up to us.”

Farsight merely grimaced in  His vocalchords had begun to Rust away, and anytime time he tried to talk it was incredibly painful. They had tried to come here for that reason, he and his brother. They’d had a farmstead just like this one. It had been going well, and their rough days from the past began to wear away. A Water Syndicate official had changed all of that. Harold couldn’t even remember his name, burn it all, he could just see a face, grinning as he stole their little farm from under his fingers. With nothing else, they’d had to return to what they knew best. Banditry. They had ran a crew that dominated the rail lines between Ironthread and Burning, and it was easy to set up another crew. You could always find men that were willing to be bandits, men who society had already turned into scum and just had yet to show it. All you had to do was give them a little push and they’d do whatever you wanted.

“Do you really think people like you, people who haven’t been ground to dust between grit and rust can stop us? You’ve got something to lose, or else you wouldn’t be out here with a gun. But us you see, we have nothing. You shoot me and my men here, and someone meaner with a few more guns will just come along. We don’t even want your land. Just hand over your water, and we’ll let y’all live.”

Bill watched silently as the man gave his spiel. 

“Well,” he said turning to Taz, “If we make it out alive you’re hired.” He turned back to the bandits and fired his shotgun into the one who had spoken.

On 19.3.2019 at 6:16 PM, I think I am here. said:

Walking down the steps he went back to the bottom floor, to see if there was anything interesting to be done.

Sorry, I missed that notification.

Kate nodded at him friendly and then waved him over.

"What are your plans here? With the child and everything?"

On 3/22/2019 at 10:55 AM, Snipexe said:

Harold watched the two men of the farmstead pull out weapons and approach. He let out a laugh. 

“You see this Farsight? The farmers think they can stand up to us.”

Farsight merely grimaced in  His vocalchords had begun to Rust away, and anytime time he tried to talk it was incredibly painful. They had tried to come here for that reason, he and his brother. They’d had a farmstead just like this one. It had been going well, and their rough days from the past began to wear away. A Water Syndicate official had changed all of that. Harold couldn’t even remember his name, burn it all, he could just see a face, grinning as he stole their little farm from under his fingers. With nothing else, they’d had to return to what they knew best. Banditry. They had ran a crew that dominated the rail lines between Ironthread and Burning, and it was easy to set up another crew. You could always find men that were willing to be bandits, men who society had already turned into scum and just had yet to show it. All you had to do was give them a little push and they’d do whatever you wanted.

“Do you really think people like you, people who haven’t been ground to dust between grit and rust can stop us? You’ve got something to lose, or else you wouldn’t be out here with a gun. But us you see, we have nothing. You shoot me and my men here, and someone meaner with a few more guns will just come along. We don’t even want your land. Just hand over your water, and we’ll let y’all live.”

Bill watched silently as the man gave his spiel. 

“Well,” he said turning to Taz, “If we make it out alive you’re hired.” He turned back to the bandits and fired his shotgun into the one who had spoken.

Sorry for my own delay.  Didn't see the notification.

Taz heard the man give his little speech, but wasn't really worried.  Bill turned to him and said, "Well, if we make it out alive you're hired."  Taz smiled, "Then you'd better give me my first payment now."  Bill abruptly fired his shotgun at the men, and Taz rushed them with his staff, twirling it in one hand.  The first man took a few in the chest, but at that range it really didn't do much to slow him.  He galloped towards Taz, and Taz dropped to one knee, using the staff to sweep the legs from under the horse.  It went down in a cloud of dust, and Bill finished him.  Taz stood up, facing the remaining men, and said, "You're wrong about one thing." He smiled and continued, "I'm not a simple farmer, and I've really nothing to lose."  He cast a look back towards the farm, "Except for an employer."  With that, he charged them, staff taking men like a whirlwind.

@Snipexe

On 27/03/2019 at 4:31 AM, Sorana said:

Kate nodded at him friendly and then waved him over.

"What are your plans here? With the child and everything?"

Gant saw the dame, Kate, wave him over and he obliged, walking towards her.

He paused, but she already knew about the child and she hadn’t told anyone yet. But in the Rust there was few you could trust.

“To keep it alive,” he said, then lowered his voice to avoid anyone overhearing. “It’s a ruster.”

33 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Gant saw the dame, Kate, wave him over and he obliged, walking towards her.

He paused, but she already knew about the child and she hadn’t told anyone yet. But in the Rust there was few you could trust.

“To keep it alive,” he said, then lowered his voice to avoid anyone overhearing. “It’s a ruster.”

She thought about that for a moment and then nodded slowly.

"You should try to get the approval of those living here already. Those in charge of the water, and the fertile land."

Her face grew worried.

"I fear we might be walking towards a war, the old settlers feel threatened by the newer ones. Add those to the mix who preach that this place is a salvation..."

She trailed off and then sighed.

"Water is rationed as everywhere else, but people talk about a cavern able to remove the curse of rusting away. They say, that this place can heal our world."

Shaking her head she started cleaning the bar in front of her.

"You should try to belong somewhere. They might be able to protect you and the child should it come to the worst."

On 3/26/2019 at 4:12 PM, Vargo Seldon said:

Taz heard the man give his little speech, but wasn't really worried.  Bill turned to him and said, "Well, if we make it out alive you're hired."  Taz smiled, "Then you'd better give me my first payment now."  Bill abruptly fired his shotgun at the men, and Taz rushed them with his staff, twirling it in one hand.  The first man took a few in the chest, but at that range it really didn't do much to slow him.  He galloped towards Taz, and Taz dropped to one knee, using the staff to sweep the legs from under the horse.  It went down in a cloud of dust, and Bill finished him.  Taz stood up, facing the remaining men, and said, "You're wrong about one thing." He smiled and continued, "I'm not a simple farmer, and I've really nothing to lose."  He cast a look back towards the farm, "Except for an employer."  With that, he charged them, staff taking men like a whirlwind.

@Snipexe

Bill watched as Taz went to it. He was good, even with the injured arm. He pumped the shot, then fired at some bandits that were circling around the farm, taking two in the chest. He pumped the gun again, one shell left. He ran forward and fired directly into the rest of the men charging him. The shotgun clicked, the shell misfired. "Reds" Bill cursed, desperately trying to reload the gun as the group charged toward. In his haste he dropped it. It tumbled to the dusty desert floor, and as it hit the ground, the misaligned shell went off, exploding in chamber and blowing the gun to shreds, sending shrapnel everywhere. Bill took a piece to arm, hitting him hard enough to drop. He dropped, letting out a grunt as he fell.

Taz fought like a wildcat, but it wasn't enough.  Bill pumped the gun into several bandits behind him, but the gun exploded, sending shards of metal flying.  One flew into Bills arm, dropping him with a grunt.  Great, Taz thought, now I don't get a job.  He dropped another bandit with a staff to the windpipe.  He looked around, noticing none left.  He sighed, dropping his staff.  Then a bullet hit the dirt by his feet.  He jumped, and reached for his staff when a gruff voice from above said, "Don't, unless you want your brains scattered over the ground."  Taz looked up, and saw a man sitting in between two rocks with a rifle trained on them.  "Seriously!?" Taz exclaimed, "You had a rusting sniper?!"  

@Snipexe

On 29/03/2019 at 8:57 AM, Sorana said:

Shaking her head she started cleaning the bar in front of her.

"You should try to belong somewhere. They might be able to protect you and the child should it come to the worst."

“I’m only good at two things, lady,” Gant said, sitting down. “Beating people up, and getting beat up. If there was a job to start barfights I’d be the first to sign up.”

The baby started whining.

“And I’m no hermit. Whatever they say about taking rust away is a myth. This place,” he gestured all around him. “Well, who knows what’s happening with this one.”

He sighed, and rocked the satchel, but the baby started whining more. “And this rust-damned baby won’t shut up.”

He clenched his fist, but then forced himself to put the satchel down on a free seat next to him. It was just a baby.

“If I didn’t have the kid, I’d be fine, just dandy,” he grumbled. “Always have been.”

22 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“I’m only good at two things, lady,” Gant said, sitting down. “Beating people up, and getting beat up. If there was a job to start barfights I’d be the first to sign up.”

The baby started whining.

“And I’m no hermit. Whatever they say about taking rust away is a myth. This place,” he gestured all around him. “Well, who knows what’s happening with this one.”

He sighed, and rocked the satchel, but the baby started whining more. “And this rust-damned baby won’t shut up.”

He clenched his fist, but then forced himself to put the satchel down on a free seat next to him. It was just a baby.

“If I didn’t have the kid, I’d be fine, just dandy,” he grumbled. “Always have been.”

Kate shook her head, walked over and raised an eyebrow.

"May I?"

She asked him, gestured towards the satchel.

15 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Kate shook her head, walked over and raised an eyebrow.

"May I?"

She asked him, gestured towards the satchel.

Gant tensed, she could run away with the child. Or kill it. Subtly his hand slid to his holster. Just in case. “Be my guest,” he said. The baby whined louder.

2 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Gant tensed, she could run away with the child. Or kill it. Subtly his hand slid to his holster. Just in case. “Be my guest,” he said. The baby whined louder.

Amused Kate smiled at him, looked at his hand, to show that she'd noticed and then picked up the child, rocking her gently. It took a while, but she slowly calmed down, until she was quietly munching on a part of Kates blouse.

"So you'd be willing to work?"

She asked in a soft voice as to not disturb the child again and offered her to Gant.

13 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“So you'd be willing to work?"

She asked in a soft voice as to not disturb the child again and offered her to Gant.

Gant took the child, wondering how Kate calmed it. It was both of them, children and women. Rusting confusing, they were.

Careful not to shake the satchel his slipped it on. “I would,” he said, looking down at the child, resting peacefully. “Though as I’ve said, my talents happen to be limited.”

8 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Gant took the child, wondering how Kate calmed it. It was both of them, children and women. Rusting confusing, they were.

Careful not to shake the satchel his slipped it on. “I would,” he said, looking down at the child, resting peacefully. “Though as I’ve said, my talents happen to be limited.”

"That's fine."

She made a decision.

"There's a guy, who owes me some money. He lives outside. You could fetch it for me. And if it works, then we'll see. Beating people up isn't exactly unuseful here."

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

"That's fine."

She made a decision.

"There's a guy, who owes me some money. He lives outside. You could fetch it for me. And if it works, then we'll see. Beating people up isn't exactly unuseful here."

Gant looked to her for the longest time, and then nodded. “Sounds fun,” he said, standing up. “But what’ll I do with the kid? I can’t just march it into a brawl with me.”

On 30.3.2019 at 3:31 PM, I think I am here. said:

Gant looked to her for the longest time, and then nodded. “Sounds fun,” he said, standing up. “But what’ll I do with the kid? I can’t just march it into a brawl with me.”

"Leave her hear. My daughter's little one is around six months. She could look after your treasure as well."

"What's her name?"

She asked leaning over the satchel again.

On 01/04/2019 at 1:24 AM, Sorana said:

"Leave her hear. My daughter's little one is around six months. She could look after your treasure as well."

"What's her name?"

She asked leaning over the satchel again.

“No idea,” Gant said. “She didn’t come with a collar or anything.” He looked to Kate. Did he really trust her with the child? But Gant knew his way around the Rust, he was sure he could track her down eventually.

“Fine,” Gant said, putting the satchel down again. “Not giving you my treasure though. And don’t you dare do anything to her.”

Slowly he stood up and gestured to the child. “Name her whatever you want. What’s this person who owes you money’s name?”

Currently I think I’ll call the kid Hazel, based on the eyes.

5 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“No idea,” Gant said. “She didn’t come with a collar or anything.” He looked to Kate. Did he really trust her with the child? But Gant knew his way around the Rust, he was sure he could track her down eventually.

“Fine,” Gant said, putting the satchel down again. “Not giving you my treasure though. And don’t you dare do anything to her.”

Slowly he stood up and gestured to the child. “Name her whatever you want. What’s this person who owes you money’s name?”

"Bill. Lives a bit outside of Greenhara."

Kate carefully took the satchel.

"Don't worry. I won't harm her."

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Bill. Lives a bit outside of Greenhara."

Kate carefully took the satchel.

"Don't worry. I won't harm her."

Gant nodded. He thought about making a threat, but it would only increase tensions, and besides, he was sure she knew he wasn’t just going to let the baby be taken. “Don’t let her touch metal,” he told, and then stood up, popping on his hat, feeling the sun rattle on his face through the open windows. Stretching, he took out his wooden knuckles, gripped them comfortably in his hand.

The smell of clear air was so much more evident outside the saloon. Here, a town bustling with life, and yet here, a man could be shot in a duel, a public hanging could take place, a man could Rust away a storm. The Rusts were a tough place.

But as he walked, Gant considered. Would life ever change? Or would this life be the same, a life of robberies and death? With trains, life evolved. No more horses, and now, even he was growing old. Oh, how he would pay to go back to the days of Hammerhand Hargreaves, fist for hire. And now, where was he.

At the door of a man he had to beat up, apparently. Time flied. Raising a hand, Gant rapped on the wood door with his own wooden knuckle weapon.

Sorry it took so long.  And ITIAH, I think the man Bill is the farmer Snipexe is playing.  Or if it isn't, then it would make it interesting if it was.

Taz froze.  This was a bad situation.  He'd been in worse, but still bad.  As soon as the shot was fired he whipped his staff forwards.  It spun in an arc around him, mind-numbingly fast.  The bullet flashed across the distance, but Taz's staff was there.  He wouldn't actually be able to block it, as it would tear through his staff, but if he timed it right... His staff flashed across his body at the same time as the bullet passed through the space a few feet in front of him.  His staff swept the bullet aside, and it ripped through the air a few inches to the left of his arm.  

Taz looked at the dumbstruck sniper, and raised an eyebrow at him.  In a flash he crossed the distance and planted his staff firmly in the man's throat. 

He returned to Bill's side and tended his wound, dragging him back to the house.  It would be a while before he would regain full range of motion.  He'd need Taz's help.  Amazing how something so bad could turn out so good.

@Snipexe

Bill watched from the ground as Taz took out the bandit. Greens above, why had he decided to hire someone. Red only knew he had that debt Kate to pay. For all he knew this could have all been a set up by her. She got her dirty hands into everything, and that saloon of hers, well, Bill had always been suspicious of it being the only one in a town like this.

”Taz, I’m fine for now, I’ve had to patch myself up from worse scrapes then this. Can you search the bodies? Reckon bodies like those aught to have some valuables lyin around, and men like that wouldn’t trust each other with a drop of water.”

I’m just going to go with the fact that this is the same Bill.

@I think I am here. @Vargo Seldon