Greenhara - Salvation?

Sorana

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

Kate handed him the keys.

"Upstairs, second room to the right. If you need anything else, just tell me."

"And you should try to keep away from those living here longer. Especially if you plan to stay here.“

“Thanks for the tip,” Gant said, standing up and walking to the stairs of the saloon. Midway climbing the stairs he stopped and looked back at the saloon interior. It looked safe enough. Turning back he trudged upstairs and approached his room.

The key rusted only slightly at his touch, and Gant knew even if he tried to fasten it it wouldn’t do much good rusting-wise. The key still fit into the lock, and with a push Gant opened the thick wooden door, taking in the smell of rust and dust. He closed the door behind him and found the rickety single bed, a wooden frame under.

Gently he laid his satchel down and picked up the child, who was sleeping. She was wrapped in a brown blanket and Gant slowly opened it, laying the bigger blanket of the saloon bed onto her. The child seemed at peace. Gant smiled and slowly laid in bed himself, kicking off his shoes.

A large man struggled through the desert, a large staff in his hands.  It seemed as though the wind was driving him back every time he made progress.  Every time before it had defeated him, but no more!  This time, there was nothing holding Taz back.  This time, he had nothing to return to.  It was either find Greenhara or return to a life of drunkenness.  He shuddered at just the thought of him slumped over a saloon table, nursing a mug of ale.  He gritted his teeth and struggled on, leaning on his staff for support.  He would find Greenhara.  It became a sort of kata in his mind, the word Greenhara.  He repeated it to the beat of his steps.  Greenhara.  Greenhara.  Greenhara.

He was brought up short when the wind suddenly died, and almost fell over.  It was like someone had scrubbed the dust from the air like a serving girl cleaning a bar top.  It all just... disappeared, and the air became as clear as glass.  That wasn't what captivated him the most, however.  What mostly took up his field of vision was the massive city rearing out of the distance like an armadillo surfacing from the sand.  It was beautiful.  He walked through the front gates in a stupor, staring at everything like a child at a rodeo.  He looked around, and realized something.  This city was an ordinary city.  It wasn't mystical, full of benevolent creatures who actively fought the rust, it was just a city.  A normal city filled with ordinary people.  His face fell.  Presumably, the only thing that made this city special was the fact that it was immune to the rust.  Other than that, the cities inhabitants were average, and in some cases, very less than average.  Taz grunted in disapointment, and stumped away to find a good hotel.

John looked up from his work as a man walked up to him.

Hello there my fine fellow, I'm looking for the foreman of this mine, do you know where he is?" The man said.

”Not again, greens above man, I swear, the more of you folk who keep looking for him the less he’ll want to talk. He’s down in the mines right now, but his shift ends in 10 minutes, he’ll be wearing the red hard hat. Don’t blame me if he punches you.”

Taz walked towards the nearest saloon.  He needed a job and a room, maybe a little information about the town.  A bartender, he knew from experience, was exactly the type of person to know these things.  He pushed open the door, noting the sign above that read "Rusty Horn".  As soon as he crossed the threshold, the overpowering smell of whiskey almost drove him out, but he steeled himself against it.  He needed what this place had to offer.  Once he overcame his initial hesitance, a large man pushed past him.  No, a large youth.  Taz had almost taken him for a man from his expression, his physique, and his battle scars.  As it was, the youth was nearly larger than himself.  He walked over to the bar, and ordered "something light."  He said, "Know any place to get a job around here?"

@Sorana

John looked up from the glass he was cleaning. Another customer. This was really getting busy.

He filled a cup with beer and pushed it over to the stranger, as well with a small cup to be filled with water as payment.

"A job?"

He repeated mostly to say something, while he thought about it.

"Some of the newer farmers might hire a guard. Or you try your luck on their farm, to help as planter. And there's the mine. They always need people.

@Vargo Seldon

16 hours ago, Clyde Froggins said:

Cornelius approached the man in the red helmet, "Hello, are you the foreman?"

The shift had gone well, Grant thought, He had been to open up the new vein of iron, a vein that would hopefully enable the creation of the railroad. Then he could finally go Ironthread to see Julia, and the baby. He hurried forward to report to the mine’s superintendent, when a man walked up to him and asked f he was the foreman

”Yeah, I’m the foreman for this shaft, name’s Grant, what can I do for ya?” Internally he cursed the burnlords, not another city slicker coming here to take the money off of honest men’s backs.

@Clyde Froggins

Edited by Snipexe

9 hours ago, Sorana said:

John looked up from the glass he was cleaning. Another customer. This was really getting busy.

He filled a cup with beer and pushed it over to the stranger, as well with a small cup to be filled with water as payment.

"A job?"

He repeated mostly to say something, while he thought about it.

"Some of the newer farmers might hire a guard. Or you try your luck on their farm, to help as planter. And there's the mine. They always need people.

@Vargo Seldon

As the cup of beer slide across the dusty bar top, Taz intinctively leaned away from it. In a voice that sounded slightly strangled, he said, "Just water thank you."  And slide the cup back across the bar.  He filled the other cup with water anyway, because he would need to pay for the drink he'd just rejected.

3 hours ago, Vargo Seldon said:

As the cup of beer slide across the dusty bar top, Taz intinctively leaned away from it. In a voice that sounded slightly strangled, he said, "Just water thank you."  And slide the cup back across the bar.  He filled the other cup with water anyway, because he would need to pay for the drink he'd just rejected.

John shrugged.

"Water is expensive. But as you wish."

He prepared the next drink wondering about his customers. The other one smashed his bottle ovet the head of old  Jack and then walked out. As Jack seemed to be fine, or at least as fine as he usually was, he looked back to the one in front of him.

"What brings you to town?"

=================

3 hours ago, Element of Chaos said:

Hellbent, angry at a random customer, broke the bottle over his head, leaving him knocked out, possibly dead, and covered in beer. Then he walked out of the bar, growling.

"Hey."

A dark voice from behind. Jim grabbed Hellbent's shoulder, just as he had left the bar.

"That's my friend over there. Kate's against a fight in there, but that doesn't mean, I can't outside. You'd better say sorry."

15 hours ago, Snipexe said:

The shift had gone well, Grant thought, He had been to open up the new vein of iron, a vein that would hopefully enable the creation of the railroad. Then he could finally go Ironthread to see Julia, and the baby. He hurried forward to report to the mine’s superintendent, when a man walked up to him and asked f he was the foreman

”Yeah, I’m the foreman for this shaft, name’s Grant, what can I do for ya?” Internally he cursed the burnlords, not another city slicker coming here to take the money off of honest men’s backs.

@Clyde Froggins

Cornelius smiled "Fantastic, I was wondering what the going rate is for metal in this town, I need some."

41 minutes ago, Sorana said:

John shrugged.

"Water is expensive. But as you wish."

He prepared the next drink wondering about his customers. The other one smashed his bottle ovet the head of old  Jack and then walked out. As Jack seemed to be fine, or at least as fine as he usually was, he looked back to the one in front of him.

"What brings you to town?"

=================

Taz put down a dash of gold dust to pay for his drinks.  Gold was extremely valuable, being a metal that didn't rust.  He thanked the bartender, and took up the cup of water, sipping at it experimentally.  It seemed to suite him, and he proceeded to answer the man's question. "I was always fascinated by the idea of a place that isn't affected by the rust.  Was a little disapointed when I got here though."  He looked wistful for a moment, then continued, "I'm more suited to a guard job than a labor job.  Pulled out my back doing mine work about ten years ago in Burning.  Learned to fight with a bad arm, but will never do heavy lifting again."  He shook his head sorrowfully, "Thought about signing on with the local chapter of the Syndicate, but I'd rather make my money doing something honest.  Any suggestions?"

20 hours ago, Vargo Seldon said:

"Thought about signing on with the local chapter of the Syndicate, but I'd rather make my money doing something honest.  Any suggestions?"

John shook his head.

"Syndicate are honest. But like I said, some of the farmers might have a job."

He thought about it for a while.

"Maybe the young Bill. One of the newer ones, but he's quite protective about his land."

45 minutes ago, Sorana said:

John shook his head.

"Syndicate are honest. But like I said, some of the farmers might have a job."

He thought about it for a while.

"Maybe the young Bill. One of the newer ones, but he's quite protective about his land."

Taz thanked the man, and, after asking for directions to young Bill's farm, stepped out of the saloon.  As soon as he was out of the oppressive atmosphere, be breathed a sigh of relief.  He then used a bit of his dwindling water supply to hire a coach.  The coach was only heading in the general direction of the farm, and was also carting several other people and a large supply of wood.  Riding on the coach, crowded on the open wagon, sitting atop bundles of pine-scented wood, Taz had much time to reflect.  The coach pulled by a bend in one of the smaller creeks, and Taz jumped off, noticing that this was a place that had been described.  He crouched by the creek, and scooped out a cup of mud-laden water.  He set it on a rock, letting the mud settle to the bottom, and pouring the water into his canteen.  He then slung his canteen over his back, and set out for Bill's farm.  

It was nightfall when Taz finally saw the yellow light of a farmhouse through the sparse trees.  Places like this, fertile enough to grow crops, were few and far between.  This one certainly looked tempting to an ambitious Burn Lord or band of thieves.  He would probably find the young man eager for his services.  He knocked on the sturdy oak door and it swung open to reveal a stout young man who looked as though he was accustomed to fighting, and to hard work.  Taz raised his hand in friendly greeting, and introduced himself.  "Hello.  I was told you needed someone to guard your lands.  I'm in need of a job, and you're in need of someone of my particular talents.  I can quickly gather a group of mercenaries."

5 hours ago, Vargo Seldon said:

"Hello.  I was told you needed someone to guard your lands.  I'm in need of a job, and you're in need of someone of my particular talents.  I can quickly gather a group of mercenaries."

Bill looked at the man standing on his patch of land.

"And why do you want to work for me?"

He asked, suspicious of the strangers motivation. The tricks some used to get some land were unbelievable. More than one honest man had been murdered in his bed the last few months.

Just now, Sorana said:

Bill looked at the man standing on his patch of land.

"And why do you want to work for me?"

He asked, suspicious of the strangers motivation. The tricks some used to get some land were unbelievable. More than one honest man had been murdered in his bed the last few months.

Taz smiled in what he hoped was a disarming way (though it was probably more wolffish than anything) and said, "I got no luck with menial labor.  Threw out my back working in the Burning mines.  Can still fight though." And demonstrated by twirling his staff with the fingers of his right hand, "Need work, and John down at The Rusty Horn said you were protective of your land.  Like I said, I need work, and you need a guard."

On 3/15/2019 at 10:25 PM, Vargo Seldon said:

Taz smiled in what he hoped was a disarming way (though it was probably more wolffish than anything) and said, "I got no luck with menial labor.  Threw out my back working in the Burning mines.  Can still fight though." And demonstrated by twirling his staff with the fingers of his right hand, "Need work, and John down at The Rusty Horn said you were protective of your land.  Like I said, I need work, and you need a guard."

Subbing in for Sorana

“What’s you cost? And even if I could trust you, how do I know the men you gather won’t send me the way of Daniels down the way. He had a crew just like yours, ended up with a bullet in his back, and his property gone the day after.”

14 hours ago, Snipexe said:

“What’s you cost? And even if I could trust you, how do I know the men you gather won’t send me the way of Daniels down the way. He had a crew just like yours, ended up with a bullet in his back, and his property gone the day after.”

Taz nodded.  The man was sensible, if not exactly accepting.  "If not a band of mercenaries, then just myself.  I can guard your lands as well as I can being just one man, and earn your trust.  I may be a formidable fighter, but you could probably hold me off."  He trailed off, but then a new thought occurred to him, "I could also do manual labor for you to earn your trust.  I can't lift anything heavy, but I can do all of the customary farm chores, and even work in the fields a little."