The Night Watcher

Let's talk about spren politics

10 posts in this topic

Throughout my reading, spren were the focal point of my curiosity. There was a brief look into Shadesmar in Oathbringer, but even though it was over 100 pages of content, I felt I learned barely anything. If Brandon was intending this to prolong future information, that's pretty impressive. I remember Jasnah mentioning Cryptics are like lighteyes, but Syl also said something similar of the honorspren. I wondered if that was part of their rivalry, one side thinking themselves the superior and thus denouncing the other side. Ivory mentioned that both these spren types were not very well liked by others. Why is that?

Another thing that bothered me were Ico and his crew. (I think they were lightspren, so that's what I'll call them.) They were sentient but I don't believe they were one of the spren capable of bonding. I always assumed the only sentient spren were affiliated with the Radiants. How many other variants are there capable of complex thought? And how did they get those abilities? 

On a side note, I remember Syl saying that she knew spren who hunted some form of lesser (fear?)spren. Do sentient spren view lesser spren in the same way humans view animals?

Really, despite all this tangent, all I wanted to know is if you think Brandon will delve further into Shadesmar or if it is a side point that is interesting but somewhat moot.

As far as the relationships between the sapient spren types goes... I have no idea but as to this

11 minutes ago, The Night Watcher said:

Do sentient spren view lesser spren in the same way humans view animals?

It seems so. The Stormfather says as much. 

There are no foolish oaths. All are the mark of men and true spren over beasts and subspren. The mark of intelligence, free will, and choice.

57 minutes ago, The Night Watcher said:

They were sentient but I don't believe they were one of the spren capable of bonding. I always assumed the only sentient spren were affiliated with the Radiants. How many other variants are there capable of complex thought? And how did they get those abilities? 

People believe them to be willshaper spren, as if you read between the lines Ico talks about a daughter who ran off to chase stupid dreams, and venli’s spren (timbre) matches her description somewhat

The Reachers are Willshaper spren. It's very heavily implied that Timbre is Ico's daughter.

Sapient spren are not limited to just Nahel spren though, much to some people's chagrin. The Mistspren are not Nahel spren for example. 

Pagerunner [PENDING REVIEW]

The mistspren, who crewed the Honorspren ship. Are they Radiant spren?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

No they are not.

JordanCon 2018 (April 22, 2018)

Posted (edited)

Syl is the ancient daughter the beloved child of the stormfather himself this makes her specifically important not all honorspren.  We know that cryprics rule one of the large important cities in shadesmar and I think that anyone with a voirin education would have a hard time believing that a race that rules a city is not somehow nobility.  The statement think of them as spren lighteyes probably comes more from Jasnah's personal biases then anything else.  (As a side note any ideas about cryptic city's name?  True Fable?  Untold Story?)  Spren probably do view each other as either inferior or superior based on race (Wyndel mentions his people or unimportant for example) but I don't think we are going to get much on them any time soon.  We know of 10 types of sapient spren capable of bonding and we have seen spren that are sapient but incapable but we don't know how many their are total. 

Edited by Karger

43 minutes ago, Karger said:

The statement think of them as spren lighteyes probably comes more from Jasnah's personal biases then anything else.  (As a side note any ideas about cryptic city's name?  True Fable?  Untold Story?)

I imagine that the Cryptic's city would be a number or a mathematical formula of some sort rather than a name.

Reading all these makes me think of another thing. Timbre was given a name by Venli, yet all the other spren had names from past life. So did parents name their children, or did they name themselves? Because of Timbre's situation, I lean towards the second 

Maybe Timbre does not yet remember her name she has not actually been bonded for that long.

Admittedly, It seems that Spren do have personalized names that they tell their radiants when they bond. Sylphrena is an example, as is Pattern, who says his name is a lot of numbers, so Shallan instead calls him Pattern. My personal beliefs with Timbre’s name is that that is her true identity, and the bond granted Venli knowledge instinctive knowledge of this. However, this just may not be the case.

8 hours ago, AngryMistspren said:

Admittedly, It seems that Spren do have personalized names that they tell their radiants when they bond. Sylphrena is an example, as is Pattern, who says his name is a lot of numbers, so Shallan instead calls him Pattern. My personal beliefs with Timbre’s name is that that is her true identity, and the bond granted Venli knowledge instinctive knowledge of this. However, this just may not be the case.

Quite possibly. It makes sense that the nahel bond grants unconscious access into the other's mind, as it is a linking of spirits — which, as far as I know, is more powerful than the realm of thought.