Genetics, Allomancy, and Feruchemy

Turin Turambar

Does anyone want to explain how allomantic powers can remain relatively consistant for about a millenia, then after a mere three centuries it's impossible for a mistborn to exist, only mistings? And Feruchemy, which as far as I can tell, if one is a feruchemist in the first series, you have access to the entire slew of metals, and again, three hundred years later, only one metal is possible? Anyone? (Sorry, this is just driving me crazy, especially since I reread some of them recently.) 

8 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

Does anyone want to explain how allomantic powers can remain relatively consistant for about a millenia, then after a mere three centuries it's impossible for a mistborn to exist, only mistings? And Feruchemy, which as far as I can tell, if one is a feruchemist in the first series, you have access to the entire slew of metals, and again, three hundred years later, only one metal is possible? Anyone? (Sorry, this is just driving me crazy, especially since I reread some of them recently.) 

It is likely because they started the new population of Scadrial with only mistings, and I am fairly certain that all the remaining full Feruchemists were castrated.

Edited by Lunamor

Allomancy was weakening genetically for the entirety of the final empire. The misting and Mistborn that existed were far weaker than the originals, which is shown with Elend. 

Then you have the fact that every Mistborn, the ones with the strongest allomantic genes, and the majority of even misting, died. 

You have a population founded on very very weak allomantic genes. And even "the lord Mistborn" was made by Sazed to be weak enough that he wouldn't make more. 

Spoilered for length 

Spoiler

Kirrin

Also, you should tell us what the last two metals are.

Brandon Sanderson

The last two metals are chromium and nicrosil. We'll reveal what they do on the Allomancy poster. Suffice it to say that in the next trilogy, the main protagonist would be a nicrosil Misting. And, to make a Robert Jordan-type comment, what those two metals do should become obvious to the serious student of Allomancy... (It has to do with the nature of the metal groupings.)

Happy Man

If I read the poster correctly, and have the correlations down, these metals are the external enhancement metals.

The simplest idea is that they do to another person what aluminum and duralumin do to the Allomancer burning them. If this is true, then chromium would destroy another Allomancer's metals (useful skill, that, especially in a group of Mistings fighting a Mistborn) while nicrosil would cause the target's metals that are currently burning to be burned in a brief, intense flash. This could be used either to enhance a group of Mistings or to seriously mess up an enemy Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

The other metals do not have exact one-to-one power correlations like that, so it seems more likely to me that they would work differently. It could be like an area effect weakening or enhancing spell. You would want an enhancer in your party, and you wouldn't want to go up against a weakener.

Nicrosil is a rather more complicated alloy than the others. It's an interesting one to pick, rather than something simpler like nichrome (though I guess that's actually a brand name).

Brandon Sanderson

Nicely done.

Ookla is right, the others don't have 1/1 correlations. But I liked this concept far too much not to use it.

In a future book series, Mistborn will also have become things of legend. The bloodlines will have become diluted to the point that there are no Mistborn, only Mistings—however, the latter are far more common. In this environment, a nicrosil Misting could be invaluable both as an enhancer to your own team or a weapon to use against unsuspecting other Mistings.

Douglas

I take it either Spook did not have children or Sazed made him a reduced-strength Mistborn rather than giving him the full potency of the 9 originals and Elend?

Brandon Sanderson

Spook is a reduced power Mistborn.

Chaos

Very interesting about the nicrosil.

So, if there is no more atium, then that would mean in any future trilogy, there would only be 14 metals, right? Somehow, that doesn't seem right, but maybe that is because it irks me that one quartet to be left incomplete with the absence of atium.

Would it be possible for Sazed to create a replacement metal, by chance, or will the temporal quartet remain inherently empty? It doesn't seem like it's too far of a stretch for Sazed to make more metals: after all, the metal Elend ate was a fragment of Preservation, and now Sazed holds Preservation.

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO, I'm afraid. Suffice it to say that what the characters think they understand about the metals, they don't QUITE get right. If you study the interaction between the temporal metals, you might notice an inconsistency in the way they work...

Peter Ahlstrom

Uh-huh. That was already noticed by theorizers in the forums here. Gold works like malatium and electrum works like atium. Yet they're on opposite corners of the metal square.

Brandon Sanderson

Ah. I wondered if that had been noticed.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

And the relevant portion

Douglas

I take it either Spook did not have children or Sazed made him a reduced-strength Mistborn rather than giving him the full potency of the 9 originals and Elend?

Brandon Sanderson

Spook is a reduced power Mistborn.

The allomantic genes in the north have reached a saturation point though, so it's not going to continue getting weaker 

This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rulesyeahdiomedes

After the Ascension and everything, how the Allomancy got exponentially weaker after generations. Is something happening after that in the current Mistborn?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it’s going to hit a certain point of saturation where it’s going to stop weakening. It’s already kind of, the weakening is…

This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rulesyeahdiomedes

Evened out?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah

Calamity Philadelphia signing (Feb. 20, 2016)

At least not until they start heavily mixing with the southerners, who are even weaker from having never had Lerasium introduced to their bloodlines. 

Comatose

So here's my last question. If there ARE people on the other side of the world, did Vin kill them all by placing the sun on their side, or do they have they're own Ruin/Preservation battle going on over there as well? Do they also have allomancy feruchemy and hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

No, they're not dead. Yes, Rashek was aware of them. In fact, he placed them there as a reserve. I knew he wanted a 'control' group of people in case his changes to genetics ended with the race being in serious trouble. All I'll say is that he found a way other than changing them genetically to help them survive in the world he created. And since they were created by Ruin and Preservation, they have the seeds of the Three Metallic Arts in them—though without anyone among them having burned Lerasium, Allomancers would have been very rare in their population and full Mistborn unheard of.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

Pretty much what Calderis said, with the weakening of the Allomantic lines. If Vin and Elend had had children, or Spook was a lerasium-strength Mistborn, there would still be Mistborn around. In addition to that, there is an interference between Allomantic genes and Feruchemical genes that has helped along the whole Ferring situation. The sDNA unravels a little, it sounds like from the WOB, the two sets of sDNA combine, and then the Feruchemist no longer will have access to all of their metals/abilities due to the combination of two technically different sets of Investiture (one being pure Preservation, the other, a mix) cancelling each other out as Investiture tends to do to other Investiture.

Travyl (paraphrased)

Why do the Twinborn in Alloy of Law have only one feruchemical power, when all previous feruchemists, in spite of breeding programs, could use all the metals? 

WetlanderNW (paraphrased)

Or were Ferrings always part of the system and we just didn't meet them in Mistborn?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The Ferrings are a new development since Mistborn, as the Feruchemists have been interbreeding with the Allomancers. Basically, the Allomancy genes interfere with the Feruchemistry genes, breaking it down and creating the limitations we see in Alloy of Law.

Footnote: Brandon's response was very enthusiastic. He noted how perceptive the question was, and obviously enjoyed the discussion. The reporter was expressed their regret at lack of a audio recording to share his enthusiasm.
Alloy of Law Seattle Signing (Nov. 11, 2011)

Thanks. I'm not sure this is supposed to be a new thread though, but is there a reason that I can't find the correlation between the effects of the metals for each power loop (Allomancy, Feruchemy, Hemalurgy). For example, atium stores age, but shouldn't one of the allomantic powers that mess with time be its correlation? Sorry if that's a spoiler.

3 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Thanks. I'm not sure this is supposed to be a new thread though, but is there a reason that I can't find the correlation between the effects of the metals for each power loop (Allomancy, Feruchemy, Hemalurgy). For example, atium stores age, but shouldn't one of the allomantic powers that mess with time be its correlation? Sorry if that's a spoiler.

The godmetals break a lot of rules, but also Atium in Allomancy does semi-temporal things, much as the Feruchemical use is also slightly temporal.

35 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

It was just an example. Ignoring the fact that it's a godmetal, there are still inconsistencies.

Don't expect the metals to correlate between the three systems. Only one metal lines up for all three, and that's tin. 

The whole "interference" thing about why mixing genes for Allomancy with Feruchemy resulted in Ferrings or Twinborn highlights something else, too: that a "Fullborn" like Rashek is extremely unnatural and could only happen when a full Feruchemist ingested a lerasium bead or effected a direct Spiritweb twiddle while Ascendant, then de-Ascending back into a mortal.

All of Rashek's oppression of the Terris and attempt to weed out Feruchemy for hundreds of years via extremely controlled "breeding programs" that isolated the Terris bloodlines from those with Allomancy, actually served to keep (full) Feruchemy alive, even as it made Feruchemists much more rare than before.

• Chaos locked this topic