Ahu’s Ramblings: Everstorm Is An Unmade

Child of Hodor

15 hours ago, Falkir said:

there's this awesome thread I found one time, just looking up the Ten essences. 

If you take the time to read it, I think that this adjusted table by @skaa could shed a lot of light on some other theories, as well as this one. Remember that WoB where Brandon talks about the Unmade "kind of" associating with each Herald? What if each Unmade corresponds to something like the remaining Shards of Adonalsium? Perhaps(just musing here) Odium "unmakes" something in a twisted image of whatever Shard he's going to try to destroy next. This would also maybe explain that pesky WoB where Brandon says that "the number of Unmade is fixed", if we assume that the number of Unmade is able to be fixed as dependent on some checklist Odium has in his desk? 

Anyone got more thoughts? I know this is kind of a dead thread, I just get so excited when I find a Theory Splinter ;) 

I'm not sure that this idea feels particularly right to me.  The linked thread looks like a lot of speculation that based on meta-analysis of things in the book, which (to me) doesn't hold a lot of water.  I don't think it's a great idea to go and try to synthesize 20 values down to 10 just based on one line in WoK.  It think it's much more likely that Kabsal's 10 divine attributes was something entirely different from the 20 in those other tables.  Kabsal's 10 divine attributes and 10 human failings was probably much more tied to the Vorin religion and not tied to the properties of the Knights Radiant.

I also don't think the idea of the number of Unmade corresponding to the number of Shards either in opposition or defeated by Odium makes sense either.  We know he's only defeated a small handful.  He hasn't defeated or allied with 7 of the remaining shards.  I'm not sure my idea from earlier this year was right either.  But thanks for the shout out.

8 hours ago, agrabes said:

I'm not sure that this idea feels particularly right to me.  The linked thread looks like a lot of speculation that based on meta-analysis of things in the book, which (to me) doesn't hold a lot of water.  I don't think it's a great idea to go and try to synthesize 20 values down to 10 just based on one line in WoK.  It think it's much more likely that Kabsal's 10 divine attributes was something entirely different from the 20 in those other tables.  Kabsal's 10 divine attributes and 10 human failings was probably much more tied to the Vorin religion and not tied to the properties of the Knights Radiant.

I also don't think the idea of the number of Unmade corresponding to the number of Shards either in opposition or defeated by Odium makes sense either.  We know he's only defeated a small handful.  He hasn't defeated or allied with 7 of the remaining shards.  I'm not sure my idea from earlier this year was right either.  But thanks for the shout out.

Yeah, this theory isn't very sound. I think there might be something, but that's 3 hypotheticals, so moving on...

I'm not sure I agree that Ishar made the Unmade, but I thought up a theory that takes it farther :) 

This is more of a conspiracy theory assumes that Ishar is absolutely rotten:

Spoiler

Ishar didn't create the Unmade to "purify" the Heralds, though he claimed this was his reason. He made the Unmade to force the Heralds into the Oathpact, because reasons. It kind of dies there. Maybe I didn't need to spoiler this to save everyone some space...

Some of my genuine thoughts on your theory:

I agree with @Karger that Ishar, as Odium's biggest opponent at the time, would not have been likely to do something so extreme without either a very good reason/motivation/potential consequence, or with false information. 

I've heard that there is a traitor among the Heralds, and it seems to me that the most obvious answer is Ishar, though I'm already lost on why and when and how.

It may be that Odium didn't create the Unmade, but altered them. I actually really like that idea, it seems like a Sanderson thing to do. This kind of explains the power of the Unmade: they too were not always so powerful, but when they were snatched by Odium, he Invested them or whatever a Shard does.

However, if Odium did make the Unmade, I'd guess that he made them on what he perceived as the Herald's flaws, or maybe a spin on the Heralds' abilities?

Lots of theory food here :)

This makes sense to me... this would mean then, that both the everstorm and highstorm are perpendicularities. 

The highstorm is a portal which brings in stormlight and spren from shadesmar or 'somewhere else' (Ashyn?), while the everstorm is a portal bringing in voidlight and the spirits of the fused from (presumably) Braize. I suspect this opens up possibilities for transporting investiture between locations in the cosmere as well.