sooo Marsh in the 2nd mistborn series

TousenShadowForged

3 hours ago, TousenShadowForged said:

Yea I would like to know what he has been doing all this time ?

And why sazed couldn't fix him?

Sazed cant interfere

but surely marsh could simply lend a hand directly or Is he to bound by rules?

If by fixing him you mean remove his spikes, I think that would kill him unless Saze made him into a Fullborn at the same time. He's been using the atium age hack to stay alive all this time.

5 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

Or do you just mean the cracked skull? Dunno, might be a badge honor, like "my niece, the ascendant warrior did this, be jealous".

I think Saze was the one that busted Marsh's face, though I guess it kind of still works in the same theme. "my pal, the Hero of Ages did this, be jealous".

2 hours ago, Wandering Investor said:

Without Ruin's corrupting influence, is there any reason to fix him? Marsh has some awesome powers due to his spikes. 

Yeah, and constant pain from the spikes, as he described at the end of book 1 after Vin offed TLR

But it does seem like Marsh has not only kept his spikes, he's replaced the one he was missing when Sazed Ascended (the one missing eye spike that Vin pulled out that he was still missing when he killed Elend), and he may even have acquired a spike or two he didn't have before (presumably by harvesting them from dead Inquisitors, as ghost-Kelsier had noted to Spook that they had a "little pile of Inquisitor spikes and nothing to do with them").

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:31 AM, SwordNimiForPresident said:

If by fixing him you mean remove his spikes, I think that would kill him unless Saze made him into a Fullborn at the same time. He's been using the atium age hack to stay alive all this time.

I think Saze was the one that busted Marsh's face, though I guess it kind of still works in the same theme. "my pal, the Hero of Ages did this, be jealous".

ah ok just dang what has he been doing to pass the time ?

has he met kelsier?

he isn't bound like sazed he can lend thy hand

Edited by TousenShadowForged

2 hours ago, TheLordRuler said:

He's an agent of Harmony now. He definitely knows Kelsier survived. 

I think he's one of Harmony's back-up plans. Should things go wildly out of control/balance, he can utilise Marsh to do the things he can't/won't. Similar to the role Wax plays.

Marsh made a comment about how Harmony, by his own rules, had to allow for Marsh to have a different opinion on things like giving Marasi the hemalurgic notebook that Spook had written, even though he's easily capable of taking full control of Marsh at any time, Ruin-style: "Harmony has particular views about how things must be done. I do not always agree with him. Oddly, his particular beliefs require that he allow that." And those "particular views" differed exactly on the topic of passing that information on, which the kandra later relay (that in Harmony's view, Spook shouldn't have written that book, nor Marsh brought it back to light).

But he then also comments that Wax "is doing my brother's work, and that is something I feel inclined to encourage", which is intriguing to look back on after Wax's talks with TenSoon and Harmony in the next two books.

Does that mean that Kelsier had previously acted in a Wax-like role of "the Ruin's Hand of Harmony", as TenSoon described as being how Harmony viewed him in Shadows of Self?

Or that Marsh was in cahoots with Kelsier (and apparently still is at least in sympathy with) in doing some kind of work that Harmony disagreed with, but felt compelled to allow?

In any case, based on their past mortal friendship, I would like to think that at Harmony at least has eased Marsh's constant pain from the hemalurgic spikes. Not sure what that would entail, but c'mon, he's a DOUBLE GOD, hemalurgy is "his power" how, as would be "preserving" him from the pain of it, right?

I kind of think that Harmony keeps both Kelsier and Marsh around as free agents who represent the different side of him Ruin and Preservation.  Marsh is kept around for destroying threats and Kelsier to help others survive.  Harmony himself is limited and besides he is humble enough to know that he is fallible so having a couple of people around who know you and can tell you if they think they are messing up is just a good idea.  Also because Sazed must keep the balance between the two shards it occurs to me that he might be using each of them to figure out what the shards want to do so that he can counter and so that each of them could take up each shard should he die.

I think Harmony tries to limit his use of people like Marsh and the Kandra, because a big thing with Harmony right now is he feels as though he stunted Scadrians technological advancements and so I think hes trying to limit his use of outside agents, and instead rely on people like Wax. We don't really know what Marsh has been doing at all, he could be doing things behind the scenes under Harmony's direction the entire time, but I doubt that because I think he's trying to push the Scadrians and kinda force them to grow.

and Kelsier does whatever he wants, I personally wouldn't consider him an agent of Harmony.

On 3/13/2019 at 0:39 AM, Turtle373 said:

and Kelsier does whatever he wants, I personally wouldn't consider him an agent of Harmony.

No more like someone Harmony keeps around to stir things up or calm them down by providing nifty tidbits to about potential interesting things happening in various parts of the world.  So more like Hamoney's cat.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if Marsh has learned to use Feruchemy to avoid the pain of spikes. There are WOBs that Feruchemical tin can theoretically store stuff other than the standard five senses - could Marsh store his ability to feel pain? (For a normal human, that would be quite dangerous, due to not noticing cuts that then get infected, etc. - but Marsh has Gold Compounding, so that's not really an issue for him.)

On 3/11/2019 at 9:11 AM, robardin said:

Marsh made a comment about how Harmony, by his own rules, had to allow for Marsh to have a different opinion on things like giving Marasi the hemalurgic notebook that Spook had written, even though he's easily capable of taking full control of Marsh at any time, Ruin-style: "Harmony has particular views about how things must be done. I do not always agree with him. Oddly, his particular beliefs require that he allow that." And those "particular views" differed exactly on the topic of passing that information on, which the kandra later relay (that in Harmony's view, Spook shouldn't have written that book, nor Marsh brought it back to light).

But he then also comments that Wax "is doing my brother's work, and that is something I feel inclined to encourage", which is intriguing to look back on after Wax's talks with TenSoon and Harmony in the next two books.

Does that mean that Kelsier had previously acted in a Wax-like role of "the Ruin's Hand of Harmony", as TenSoon described as being how Harmony viewed him in Shadows of Self?

Or that Marsh was in cahoots with Kelsier (and apparently still is at least in sympathy with) in doing some kind of work that Harmony disagreed with, but felt compelled to allow?

In any case, based on their past mortal friendship, I would like to think that at Harmony at least has eased Marsh's constant pain from the hemalurgic spikes. Not sure what that would entail, but c'mon, he's a DOUBLE GOD, hemalurgy is "his power" how, as would be "preserving" him from the pain of it, right?

Brandon was asked about what Marsh meant about doing his brothers work. Ill summarize it and then post the actual WoB below because it shouldn't take me long to find. Basically Marsh feels his brother's work is the whole survivor schtick inspiring people to carry on, and etc. Marsh does not feel Kelsier is doing this anymore

Questioner

At the end of “Alloy of Law” Marsh tells Marasi he is giving the diary to Wax because “.. he does my brother's work”. At this time it was a reminder of Kelsier, but with Secret History and the third book out why does Marsh think we need someone to do his brother's work? Isn't Kelsier doing that himself?

Brandon Sanderson

Well. (laughs) Marsh is of multiple minds on what's happening with Kelsier at this time. When he's referencing his brother's work, he's specifically tells Marasi speaking to the lore of the Survivor. Like he's specifically talking to somebody, and he does believe this. He may not think that Kelsier is doing Kelsier's work anymore. But that depends on... You will see interaction between Marsh and Kelsier in the future.

Edited by Pathfinder

I do agree that Kelsier has found another purpose. He's Cosmere-aware and has bigger fish to fry. It would make sense that the next best person to spread some hope would be Marsh since he had such a rough time through Era 1 with Kelsier and Ruin, feeling completely hopeless.

• Chaos locked this topic