Captain Marvel

Lunamor

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! WAS IT GOOD?!! 

I actually haven't seen it yet, but I'm going to on Saturday. What was your opinion of it? I'm afraid to look at Rotten Tomatoes, because that might bias me towards the film.

5 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

I actually haven't seen it yet, but I'm going to on Saturday. What was your opinion of it? I'm afraid to look at Rotten Tomatoes, because that might bias me towards the film.

Good plan, since a bunch of gross dude-bros are trying to tank the movie with fake reviews. 

7 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

I loved it!!! I can’t really say much because of spoilers, but it was awesome!

Edited by Lunamor

I'm not against female characters, what I am against is poorly written characters. So long as Captain Marvel is a well written, believable character with personality, I'm in. (To tell the truth, I'm now so invested in the MCU I'll see it, and cultivate my own opinion). 

To tell yet another truth, the storyteller in me rebels whenever entertainment/good storytelling becomes less important than a political statement.

So, based on how I review "best MCU movies" (tl;dr it's about how well they hold up on their own, so no sequels and no Avengers) Captain Marvel is number 3 below Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy. 

It was really good, and if anyone says otherwise, you can safely assume it's because they are terrible people with fragile male egos that label anything that challenges their narcissistic views as "political." Later on, when things have calmed down, actual criticisms of the movie based on the actual work may appear. But now? 95% chance it's a borderline incel that's upset because Brie Larson hurt their delicate pride. Don't @ me.

And to answer the inevitable question, it's about as "political" as Wonder Woman. 

I'll say it right up front: Captain Marvel is a really good movie. Really, really good. I agree with Orlion's ranking it #3 after Black Panther & Guardians v1.

I don't see enough movies or follow popular culture closely enough to know what people have against Brie Larson, nor do I care. She's a good choice for this character and plays the part well. Is she as amazingly perfect in the role as Gal Gadot is as Wonder Woman? No - miracles don't happen that frequently. But IMO Larson gives a solid performance as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, and this origin story for the character fits well into the Marvel universe portrayed in the movies.

No spoilers - there's time enough to dissect CM later.

But there's one thing I gotta say: Do NOT miss the very start!! -- the part where the "Marvel Studios" logo comes up at the beginning. If you do, sneak into another theater playing CM when your movie is done and see the beginning. You'll be glad you did.

I saw it finally! And it was so much better than I hoped. I was a little reticent because of

Spoiler

how emotionally flat Brie Larson appeared in the trailers, but then they immediately provided an in-world reason at the start of the film, and I was like “Yes! Thank you Marvel.”

I wouldn’t place it in my top 5 marvel films personally, but it definitely held its own. IMO it lost a little momentum after the half way point, and the final fight scene wasn’t as tense as I might have hoped, but it was still a very solid story. And Samuel L. Jackson had me cracking up a few times.

Edited by ILuvHats

I was tonight and it was amaaaziiing!

I was never truly hyped for this movie even though I tried to be open-minded about it. I just always have a hard time to give new faces in an established fandom a chance.
It was not only much better than I anticipated, it was an awesome movie!

I liked Carol well enough, Fury was a delight, there was a great twist to the whole story and I'll never look at my cat the same way ever again.

25 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Also, the 'en media res' approach to the story really reminded me of Stormlight.

Spoiler

Funny, the movie reminded me of SA as well. In part because of the way Carol started to glow near the end; and the flashbacks where she falls and stands up again and again reminded me of "The girl who stood up" and Dalinar's words: "If a fall, I will rise each time  a better (wo)man."

Also, the whole "actually, the Kree are the evil ones and the Skrull the victims" had some strong humans vs. listener vibes.

Edited by Winds Alight
Additions and spoiler tags

2 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

Funny, the movie reminded me of SA as well. Mostly maybe because of the way Carol started to glow near the end. :D

You could almost hear her saying honor is dead, but i'll see what I can do before jumping into the fray.

I really really enjoyed it. 

But I do have to say, 

Spoiler

Flerken too OP plz nerf. 

The Stan lee cameo was amazing, I teared up a little at both the reference and the little smile she gives Stan. And the marvel logo... I won’t lie, I cried. The losing an eye thing made me laugh so hard, talk about subversion. 

Yeah, people getting butt hurt are just getting butt hurt. It’s not my favorite marvel movie, but it’s up there. 

8 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

You could almost hear her saying honor is dead, but I'll see what I can do before jumping into the fray.

YESSSSSS!!!!! If I could give you 100 up-votes for this, I would!!

I'm so glad all of you enjoyed it too!

And @Steeldancer - I also teared up at the logo, which gave me mixed emotions 'cause I didn't want to miss anything, you know?

I need to see the movie again, because

Spoiler

... I am sooooo curious about Fury's eye. He lost it from that "cat" scratch, didn't he? And Talon's face when that happened ... it just made me think there was something going on - like, his eye isn't an empty socket, and he'll never use any of those glass ones that Colson brought him. I have no idea what's in the comics on this topic, but the MCU isn't really following them closely, so who knows?

Just came back from seeing the film, it was relatively enjoyable. Better than Aquaman certainly.

Spoiler

It was interesting that Danvers could hold the Tesseract without burning up (and the cat as well it seemed). Perhaps at the end of Endgame she'll fulfil the role of Adam Warlock from the Infinity Gauntlet comic and become its owner.

Edited by Pagliacci
Forgot to use the spoiler tag/box thing

4 hours ago, Pagliacci said:

Just came back from seeing the film, it was relatively enjoyable. Better than Aquaman certainly.

Reveal hidden contents

It was interesting that Danvers could hold the Tesseract without burning up (and the cat as well it seemed). Perhaps at the end of Endgame she'll fulfil the role of Adam Warlock from the Infinity Gauntlet comic and become its owner.

For that to happen, they'd be forced to (Guardians 2 spoiler)

Spoiler

Give up the Adam Warlock plans they already have. He's been hinted a bit, going as far as showing his sarcophagus thing in GotG 2.

So I just saw Captain Marvel. Eehhhh. It was fine. I don't think it was great.

First off, I don't think Brie Larson pulls off the character of Carol Danvers. None of the trailers really impressed me, and one line, in particular, made me roll my eyes.

"I'm not going to fight your war. I'm gonna end it." It just sounded so dumb and I couldn't take it seriously at all. Did I have fun watching the movie? Yeah. Is it the best Marvel movie? No. The writing for Carol Danvers is pretty weak and I got the feeling that she was only presented as a really powerful character to be set up for Endgame. Larson's performance felt... empty.

Knowing that the Skrulls were in it, I thought I knew exactly how Fury lost his eye. The movie proved me wrong, kind of. It was kind of funny, but also underwhelming.

I liked the cat though. Goose was pretty awesome.

Overall, I have to disagree with Pagliacci and say that I enjoyed Aquaman much more than Captain Marvel. It's not terrible, just average.

Another thought about Captain Marvel:

The release of this movie seems ill-timed. Not from a commercial standpoint, but from a storytelling standpoint. You see, if Captain Marvel had been released in Phase One or Phase Two, with no other mention of her, we would have been aware that A. the Avengers Initiative was named after her and B. her character was out there. Everyone would have been asking, "Where's Captain Marvel? When is she coming back?", creating anticipation for her return. This makes the logo reveal on Fury's pager more satisfying because it confirms she is coming back.

However, Captain Marvel has been released only several weeks ahead of Avengers: Endgame which makes her inclusion seem more forced. It doesn't help that her movie seemed to push the message that she is one of the most powerful characters in the MCU. I understand that they need the character, but it seems too quick and too soon before Endgame to do so. They should have released this film much earlier so that A. there is an age difference in her appearance, B. it wouldn't seem so rushed and C. there is anticipation for her appearance in Endgame.

The empty performance we got from Brie Larson doesn't raise any hopes either. Hopefully, she's better in Endgame.

I saw the movie and overall? It was pretty rad. Great cast of characters (Coulson!!), good girl-power message without really shoving anything in your face (which tends to make things less effective imo), fun action scenes. A large number of things blow up, which is a must for a good film.

My one beef?

The hair. Her hair is in her face! For what feels like the entire duration of the movie! I don't understand why they had to give her the bland soft curls that make her look exactly the same as Sharon Carter (and Mockingbird, for that matter) when she has an absolutely iconic mohawk in the (more recent, at least) comics. At least give her a scrunchie or something, man. The woman's fighting people.

(This has been an issue for me ever since the first trailers, tbh. I just wanted the mohawk, Marvel. That's all I wanted from this character, and you failed me.)

Of course, I'm weirdly invested in this character's hairstyle. It's probably not a huge deal for most people. :P

Edit to add one of my favorite parts of the movie: no romantic arc! I'm not a huge fan of romance at the best of times, and especially in action movies it tends to feel forced.

Edited by Mistrunner

On 3/17/2019 at 2:36 PM, Captains Domon said:

Another thought about Captain Marvel:

The release of this movie seems ill-timed. Not from a commercial standpoint, but from a storytelling standpoint. You see, if Captain Marvel had been released in Phase One or Phase Two, with no other mention of her, we would have been aware that A. the Avengers Initiative was named after her and B. her character was out there. Everyone would have been asking, "Where's Captain Marvel? When is she coming back?", creating anticipation for her return. This makes the logo reveal on Fury's pager more satisfying because it confirms she is coming back.

However, Captain Marvel has been released only several weeks ahead of Avengers: Endgame which makes her inclusion seem more forced. It doesn't help that her movie seemed to push the message that she is one of the most powerful characters in the MCU. I understand that they need the character, but it seems too quick and too soon before Endgame to do so. They should have released this film much earlier so that A. there is an age difference in her appearance, B. it wouldn't seem so rushed and C. there is anticipation for her appearance in Endgame.

The empty performance we got from Brie Larson doesn't raise any hopes either. Hopefully, she's better in Endgame.

Yeah, I'm really apprehensive about Endgame's direction; at best, the timing just is awkward - Infinity War / Endgame is the climax of the last decade of MCU movies, and introducing a new character in the middle of a climax is awkward, especially a powerful one.

And I'll especially be pretty frustrated if the movie boils down to "and then Captain Marvel shows up and saves everyone", not because I have any particular beef with Captain Marvel, but just because introducing a powerful character out of nowhere to defeat an antagonist is a really unsatisfying resolution.  I have a bit of trust that they won't do that... but it wouldn't exactly be the first plot misstep in a MCU movie.  (I think they tend to do a *great* job with characters, and just an okay job with plot)