What would a unmade fabrial do

On 3/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, WhiteEmporer said:

Here's a thought: would it be possible to use Nerghaul in a diminishing Fabrial? Would you get a fabrial that takes away people's will to fight?

This was my thought as well. The painrials that Navani created are from painspren, are they not? With a switch to inflict pain vs default drawing away pain.

I think depriving the enemy army of the will to fight is smarter.  To delight in war is at best a dangerous quality in a soldier.  Also the thrill seems addictive so exposing your soldiers to even small amounts sounds like a bad idea.

Have fabrials using perfect gemstones been attempted because i think that would prevent against the stones shattering .

If we built one I expect it would require voidlight to operate,but another thing if you captured Ba-ado-mishram would the effect be to create infinite voidlight ? and is Yelignar always captured technically ?

• 1 year later...

Narratively, I don't think it's likely that we'll see Unmade fabrials. The superweapon role seems to be occupied by the Dawnshards right now.

Also, the Unmade interactions that we've seen so far: Shallan realized that Re-Shephir was trying to understand humanity and creating twisted parodies, Nergaoul acting like a pleased hound when Dalinar let himself feel the Thrill, Sja-Anat wanting to defect, Yelig-Nar needing to be controlled and Ashertmarn's careless hedonism. They seem to be playing the role of subverters, who I think might end up getting subverted themselves. "They were once made, then Unmade", perhaps they could be Remade? I think that the Unmade were once something else who were Corrupted by Odium, but they can be turned back. The overall themes of Stormlight: unity, redemption, fight against hatred, makes me think that this is what will happen with the Unmade.

But that doesn't preclude the Unmade from getting subverted and weaponized in the form of fabrials during their story arc. It would be interesting. It'd also be interesting if they get Bonded... but the way Brandon reacted to the question of whether or not someone could Bond an Unmade made me think that one could technically do that but it's not something that we're gonna see happen.

Fabrials seem to require specific types of gemstones. We haven't seen a perfect gemstone used as a fabrial. Would different coloured gemstones be able to produce different kinds of effects from the Unmade or would only specific types of gemstones work with specific Unmade? I think it would be the latter.

Nergaoul used as a Rioter fabrial sounds quite reasonable. Perhaps Moelach could act as an Atium  fabrial. Most interesting would be Yelig-Nar, who might become a full Surgebinding fabrial with all Surges.

Edited by R J