What would a unmade fabrial do

Just now, Invocation said:

That comparison doesn't jive. Nuclear bombs =/= animate Splinters of a being made of Hatred.

No they don't. I'd say that nuclear fallout is and irradiated environments are worse then something that makes battles that are already happening a bit worse. 

My whole point is that if people think something is going to give them an advantage, they make it. Hell, Dalinar already has Navani studying that Gem. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

No they don't. I'd say that nuclear fallout is and irradiated environments are worse then something that makes battles that are already happening a bit worse. 

I don't think the Thrill makes it a bit worse. For the Thaylens, they weren't able to stop; they didn't want to stop. At least when a nuke goes off, it ends the fighting in that area. Not to mention some of the other Unmade that could also be captured then used to enhance the Thrill and its effects. Capture Moelach and use him to get infinite prophecies/Death Rattles. Whatever Dai-gonarthis does isn't going to help out. Sja-anat could have a ton of spren to corrupt from the effects of the battle. It could very well work out worse than a nuke, especially seeing as Cultivation would probably help with the results of the nuke but likely wouldn't do anything to affect the Unmade out of fear of a strike from Odium.

5 minutes ago, Calderis said:

My whole point is that if people think something is going to give them an advantage, they make it. Hell, Dalinar already has Navani studying that Gem. 

He tells her to study it to try to make more, not to use them in fabrials. Exactly because he doesn't want the Thrill getting back out and using fabrials has a chance to break the gemstone. He makes sure to note not to do anything to damage the gemstone because of that.

13 minutes ago, Inky said:

Well that would depend on the Unmade. A fabrial made from Neragoul would probably work like Rioting 

This.  I'd expect it to allow for some level of Induced Thrill on a target.  Given the restrictions on most fabrials vs their Radiant Counterparts, I doubt it would give you a whole lot of variable control, though the design of the fabrial itself might make a lot of difference, but all of them I image would just be some version of Induced Thrill, and I doubt you'd see the sort of subtly that you can get with Rioting.  You could make it internally aimed at the user, and get something akin to a Bane (of DC Comics) where you have a dial to turn the Thrill up or down whenever you want the berserker strength.  Or maybe a targeted thing where you can blast an enemy with it to scramble their restraint and tactical thinking.  Most likely you'd have a Thrill Bomb that covers the battlefield in the full Red Mist and just causes a massacre. 

Can perfect gems even be used in creating fabrials? My (admitedly very shallow) understanding of fabrials has anyways been that they relied on Stormlight from the gen for power. I wouldn't be surprised if perfect gems, by their very nature, couldn't be drained in the same way regular gems are drained by fabrials because they don't have the natural leak.  

@WhiteEmporer I don't think it's that simple. Fabrial type is determined at least partially by gemstone cut. Nergaoul can only be inside a perfect gem, so that's the only type of fabrial you could make with it. Which leads to the question what category of fabrial perfect gems would make, if they'd even work at all. 

31 minutes ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

Can perfect gems even be used in creating fabrials? My (admitedly very shallow) understanding of fabrials has anyways been that they relied on Stormlight from the gen for power. I wouldn't be surprised if perfect gems, by their very nature, couldn't be drained in the same way regular gems are drained by fabrials because they don't have the natural leak.  

@WhiteEmporer I don't think it's that simple. Fabrial type is determined at least partially by gemstone cut. Nergaoul can only be inside a perfect gem, so that's the only type of fabrial you could make with it. Which leads to the question what category of fabrial perfect gems would make, if they'd even work at all. 

I figured it was farfetched, but since we were speculating, it was a pretty interesting idea. 

8 minutes ago, galendo said:

It's a ruby, right?  You could make the world's most diabolic set of spanreels.

Spanreeds that persuade you to kill people. Like Nightblood!

Nightspan: Hey, you should totally kill that guy.

Farmer: No, thanks, Nightspan.

Nightspan: Come on, it’ll be fun!

Farmer: I liked the older spanreeds.

Nightspan: KILL HIM NOW

Farmer: I just want to get my taxes sorted out...

On 3/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, WhiteEmporer said:

Here's a thought: would it be possible to use Nerghaul in a diminishing Fabrial? Would you get a fabrial that takes away people's will to fight?

Now that is an interesting possibility....

On 3/9/2019 at 11:22 AM, ZenBossanova said:

I have wondered if Odium is caught/trapped in a Roshar sized fabrials. The purpose of fabrials might only be to trap him. Ishar or the Aimians might know about this. 

Ok, so the thing that really annoyed me about entrapped nergaoul was this:

Dalinar: We have trapped Nergaoul in the King's Drop. I want you to study it and see what you can do, Navani.

Navani: You know, Gavilar had something just like this. 

Dalinar: Huh.

Dalinar:...

Navani:...

Dalinar: Well, anyway, you wanna teach me how to read?

Seems like Gavilar's black sphere was important enough to warrant a little more conversation.

Edited by ginger_reckoning