Frustrated

Merlin

It's funny. As soon as I finished SA, I wanted nothing more than for Branderson to write the fourth one. Then I read Mistborn, and I can't wait for Wax and Wayne #4. THEN I read Skyward, and I want Branderson to full speed ahead on that. I really should make up my mind.:)

Edited by WannabeWorldhopper

2 hours ago, Karger said:

I kind of want him to just drop everything and just finish SA and then go in order one at a time.

You'd get pushback from all the people who wish he'd do that exact thing, just replace Stormlight with Mistborn, Elantris, Rithmatist or any other series as the one to do first. :D Not to mention, pushback from Brandon himself. Here's just one example out of many where he's discussed why he bounces from project to project instead of sticking with one:

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

What's my biggest challenge in writing books?

There's a couple. One of the big ones I have nowadays is not repeating myself. It's a much bigger danger if you write in a lot of different series, like I do. Like, if you just write in one series, the tone and themes of that series are very similar, it's okay book-to-book, because that's what you want for a book. But if you're jumping a lot, and then every series starts to feel like it has the same tone and theme, then you start to repeat yourself. And so, the longer I go as a writer, that's one of the big challenges.

The other kind of big challenge is making sure that I'm juggling my main projects, like Stormlight and Mistborn, and the side projects that I want to do. The way my writing psychology works is, if I spend too long on one thing, I get burned out. But because of that, it's very easy for me to, instead of working on one good series that's gonna make my name, it'd be easy for me to write fifteen smaller books that all just go completely wacky directions. So I want a balance between that. I want things like The Stormlight Archive, and I want things like the novellas that I do.

Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

Edited by Weltall

21 hours ago, Karger said:

I kind of want him to just drop everything and just finish SA and then go in order one at a time.

Same, I've resigned myself to the possibility that I'll never read all 10. Both he and I need to stick around another 20 years (at least!) and that's a long time.  It's kind of dark to bring mortality into it, but those are huge books that take a long time to write. It will take him into his late 60s at least to finish the Cosmere books he's said he wants to do.

I can't be upset with him at all. He gives us new books every year and is exceedingly open and honest about his progress. I've told myself as long as I get to see the first 5 Stormlight I'll be happy.  

Edited by Child of Hodor

• 4 weeks later...

I fully agree with @Child of Hodor. I hope SA5 will bring some closure. Then, I can die happily. Wait. W&W4 also needs to be written before I can do that. I wasn't happy to hear about Skyward. Another four non-cosmere books that pushed back W&W4 like a Coinshot pushes some bullet casings. I decided not to read them. No way! But storm this forum. Sharders convinced me to pick up Skyward. And rust and ruin... I LOVED it. Ok. Now, I have to wait for these four books as well before dying. I'll get very old as long as I have Brandon Sanderson's books to look forward to. :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

(Btw, what really pushed back TLM was Apocalypse Guard not working. That’s why Skyward was written instead.)

It certainly contributed significantly. Though what really pushed TLM from being "possibly written" to delayed was Brandon deciding to write the Magic novella. That pretty much took the time frame that would have otherwise been used to write TLM.

Now, for some "good" news! In the newsletter he sent out, Brandon did say that Stormlight 4 and TLM would be written before Skyward 3. 

It's some good news for me as it is more of a concrete promise then what was provided in the State of Sanderson. It also means that if it gets delayed again, you Skyward fans will get to taste the bitterness of delay! Mwahaha! :P

10 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Now, for some "good" news! In the newsletter he sent out, Brandon did say that Stormlight 4 and TLM would be written before Skyward 3. 

Do you refer to this sentence? 

I haven’t started on the third book. (I project four in this series.) It will have to happen after Stormlight 4, as will Wax and Wayne 4. (Sorry.)

(Brandon Sanderson Newsletter, spring 2019)

I don't read that as a confirmation that W&W4 will be written before Skyward3. Just that both books will be written after SA4.

8 hours ago, equinox said:

Do you refer to this sentence? 

I don't read that as a confirmation that W&W4 will be written before Skyward3. Just that both books will be written after SA4.

Well, shoot, I think you are right. Was really hoping for my interpretation. Thanks for the correction, at least now I won't wrongfully believe Brandon broke a nonbinding promise when he likely works on Skyward 3 after Stormlight 4.

• Chaos locked this topic