Potential Feruchemy Plot Hole

SwordNimiForPresident

I'm rereading Era 1 currently. I was reading a Sazed chapter and something occurred to me, how can a full Feruchemist not heal being castrated?

Spoilered for Stormlight stuff

Spoiler

I know what you're thinking, "well obviously their Spiritual self has accepted that they are castrated, just look at Kaladin's slave brands", but what about Lopen? He was disarmed for several years before gaining access to Stormlight but his arm regrew as soon as he did.

I also think that Sazed's thoughts about himself in regards to his castration, especially in scenes where he is considering his relationship with Tindwyl, are distinctly non accepting. He feels that it is a flaw in him and I can't see it being integrated with his Spiritual self. Has anyone ever asked Brandon about this? I couldn't find any WoBs, though I admittedly didn't look very hard.

THIS THREAD HAS STORMLIGHT SPOILERS, SORRY FOR NOT PUTTING IT IN THE COSMERE SECTION.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

19 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I'm rereading Era 1 currently. I was reading a Sazed chapter and something occurred to me, how can a full Feruchemist not heal being castrated?

Spoilered for Stormlight stuff

Reveal hidden contents

I know what you're thinking, "well obviously their Spiritual self has accepted that they are castrated, just look at Kaladin's slave brands", but what about Lopen? He was disarmed for several years before gaining access to Stormlight but his arm regrew as soon as he did.

I also think that Sazed's thoughts about himself in regards to his castration, especially in scenes where he is considering his relationship with Tindwyl, are distinctly non accepting. He feels that it is a flaw in him and I can't see it being integrated with his Spiritual self. Has anyone ever asked Brandon about this? I couldn't find any WoBs, though I admittedly didn't look very hard.

Spoiler

@Invocation is correct at no point had Lopen ever excepted the missing arm. He acted as though he had both. Sazed accepted it and his role as a terris steward. He always acts the part of the steward with this castration being a part of who he is. Sazed considers himself to be the rebellious steward with this being a sign of that position.

Edited by Nathrangking

12 minutes ago, WhiteEmporer said:

It is also worth noting that health is rather difficult to store, and one needs to save it up for life-or-death situations. Regrowing a severed body part likely takes quite a bit of it. 

That is also correct, as noted by Wayne's continual complaints about regrowing fingers.

13 minutes ago, WhiteEmporer said:

It is also worth noting that health is rather difficult to store, and one needs to save it up for life-or-death situations. Regrowing a severed body part likely takes quite a bit of it. 

But for a people having their magic bred out of them, they’d prioritize their magic users making babies.

37 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

But for a people having their magic bred out of them, they’d prioritize their magic users making babies.

Even if they did, due to the from-birth training the stewards have relating to their castration, them healing that would not be possible.

Acceptance in Cosmere healing has nothing to do with you being at peace with something. 

If it is part of your self perception, be that positive or negative, it's there. Considering there are physical effects involved in development Sazed was castrated at a young enough age that it was part of who he is before he ever would have had need to feel frustrated by certain imposed social aspects of it. 

It's definitely not a plot hole. If not liking something was the same as not accepting it, everything would be healed. 

Edited by Calderis

8 minutes ago, Calderis said:

If it is part of your self perception, be that positive or negative, it's there. Considering there are physical effects involved in development Sazed was castrated at a young enough age that it was part of who he is before he ever would have had need to feel frustrated by certain imposed social aspects of it. 

That actually brings up an interesting question about Renarin's healing. (Stormlight Spoilers)

Spoiler

He's had the eyesight thing for a long time, it's implied if not outright stated. Was it because he was comparing himself to Adolin that whole time and seeing Adolin as who he could be that the eyesight was able to be healed? Is it, perhaps, an outgrowth of his apparently superior healing?

Edited by Invocation

@Invocation Stormlight Spoilers.

Spoiler

It's not just his eyesight, it's also his epilepsy. 

I think it's more about mindset than anything else. There are plenty of people who are unhappy with their situations but still let it rule them. That's not a judgment on my part, that's just the way people work. I doubt many of my issues would be healed in the Cosmere :lol:

But then you have people who, dispite disabilities, don't let anyone tell them they can't do anything and go on to be propped up as inspirational stories because they do things in spite of their limitations that many fully abled people aren't capable of. 

His whole life Renarin has been told he can't. And despite that he still tries. He pushes boundaries wherever he's able to. If he'd actually accepted his supposed limitations he'd have joined the Ardentia like everyone told him he should. 

I think that's the difference. And I think most readers underestimate Renarin. 

Edited by Calderis

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

@Calderis (Stormlight)

Hide contents

Isn't his epilepsy still there, only mutated with his Surges into the new fits?  Or is that just the way he thinks of it and it's something different?

Other than that, I see your points.

Spoiler

I think that's the way he sees it... But I don't think that's fully true. 

Just now, Calderis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think that's the way he sees it... But I don't think that's fully true. 

Spoiler

That's fair. It's a little unclear as yet, so I can see it both ways, but I do lean more towards agreeing with you.

(Guess what that ^ spoiler is...Stormlight)

Cosmere healing, at least this and some other methods, are based on unconscious perception, not on conscious desire.

So Sazed perceives himself, at an instinctual level, as being an eunuch. Even if he's not happy about it, that's his true perception of himself. 

Some more Stormlight Archive spoilers:

Spoiler

In Stormlight we see more examples of this. Our favorite Herdazian(did I spell that right?) truly views himself as still having two arms, even if one may be missing at the moment.

Another merchant on the other hands views herself as a cripple. So even when she getting some stormlight healing, it doesn't fix her legs, even though she hates being a cripple. Because as a very base level, that's how she sees herself. This isn't something that is easily changed either. Its not a matter of practicing imagining yourself as better, its the instinctive first image that pops into your head type of thing.

• Chaos locked this topic