Feruchemist in South Scadrial

Burnt Edges

I just finished the Bands of Mourning and one question that keeps bothering me is the role of Feruchemy in South Scadrial. From my understanding only the Terris people had Feruchemy. So unless Kelsier brought Terrismen with him to breed with the locals, the only way for the people of SoScadrial to create open Metalminds would be Hemalugical Spikes. However, over the course of 300 years the Spikes would wear their charges out even transitioning from person to person. 

Thoughts or solutions? This is really bugging me!!!

Also, this is my first post so if this is in the wrong thread let me know.

So I already read your post Calderis. While I have some issue regarding burning spikes I think your theory had some merit! That still doesn’t get to the root issue.

In BoM Allik talks about how they figured out the other types of medallions from the heat ones given by Kelsier. While it is feasible (I’d say unlikely) that Kelsier gave them unkeyed medallions for Aluminum, Duralumin, and Nicrosil (in regards to your post), the issue still is Feruchemy Metalminds would require a Ferring for each metal at least initially.

Does my response clarify at all?

Edited by Burnt Edges

Kelsier Hemalurgied a few Ferrings and ran off to the South? Also possibly some Connection was farmed for the inheritance but don't quote me on that

Edited by Inky

2 hours ago, Burnt Edges said:

So I already read your post Calderis. While I have some issue regarding burning spikes I think your theory had some merit! That still doesn’t get to the root issue.

In BoM Allik talks about how they figured out the other types of medallions from the heat ones given by Kelsier. While it is feasible (I’d say unlikely) that Kelsier gave them unkeyed medallions for Aluminum, Duralumin, and Nicrosil (in regards to your post), the issue still is Feruchemy Metalminds would require a Ferring for each metal at least initially.

Does my response clarify at all?

It's not as complex an issue as you think... Yes, something was done to the Terris that granted Feruchemy... But even without that, just like with allomancy, Feruchemy would still exist. It would just be exceedingly rare... And if no one knew what it was it would be difficult to discover 

Comatose

So here's my last question. If there ARE people on the other side of the world, did Vin kill them all by placing the sun on their side, or do they have they're own Ruin/Preservation battle going on over there as well? Do they also have allomancy feruchemy and hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

No, they're not dead. Yes, Rashek was aware of them. In fact, he placed them there as a reserve. I knew he wanted a 'control' group of people in case his changes to genetics ended with the race being in serious trouble. All I'll say is that he found a way other than changing them genetically to help them survive in the world he created. And since they were created by Ruin and Preservation, they have the seeds of the Three Metallic Arts in them—though without anyone among them having burned Lerasium, Allomancers would have been very rare in their population and full Mistborn unheard of.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

Without Lerasium, or whatever was done to the Terris, the genes would be weak, but they would apparently exist. They just wouldn't have been seen in the north because of the way that the allomantic and Feruchemical genes interfere with each other. 

As to what Kelsier gave them, I don't believe it was full on medallions. We're told what he gifted them by Allik. "The excisors." Which, in my opinion, is both physical spikes that he granted, and the knowledge to make more. Hemalurgy is Spiritual excision.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

We don't know where Feruchemy came from but Kelsier does as he is able to grant it to himself.  So he could have just given them the ability the same way.

Kelsier didn't even need to grant himself full Feruchemy. I fully believe that he's still just (naturally) a Mistborn. As such, he'd already have the ability to burn Nicrosil. Give himself a single additional spike for F-Nicrosil and he could store the powers for everything else granted from either a spike or medallion. That still leaves him a third available slot for a spike to grant powers to himself to be stored without crossing the threshold of control. 

He could have made his own personal bands, keyed to himself, with the addition of a single spike. 

Edited by Calderis

• Chaos locked this topic