The docks (and beyond)

xinoehp512

On 3/8/2019 at 8:45 PM, xinoehp512 said:

Tom continued.
"It might have been the end of us. Indeed, in the hours leading up to my death, I was sure that it would be the end. The key hadn't done anything to us, I assumed; it had been fake all along, or was missing some essential component.
"Luckily for me, I was wrong. The key had locked down our souls, like the legends had said it would; none of us passed into the Beyond, as we would have otherwise. But floating around as a Cognitive shadow is hardly a desirable fate, and the designers of the Key had taken this into account. A strange mechanism allowed for those who lost their physical form after being Keyed to 'reset' the soul, in a limited sense, and be reborn into the world.
"And so it was with us. We lost our memories, of course, so for the next twelve years we lived whatever life we had been born into. We had been scattered around the globe; with one notable exception, none of us even knew each other.
"Our memories were still there, however, and waiting to return to us. On occasion, they would infiltrate our minds while we slept, leaving us dreams that seemed even more vivid than reality. I myself awoke many times feeling the sense that there was something that I had forgotten, something that was important. But I was never able to recall what it was.
"As we got older and older, the dreams began to come more and more often. They began to strike during the day, too, albeit in shorter moments. But I remembered these no better than the dreams, and they left me no more than a sensation of loss every time one faded from my memory again.
“But they kept coming. And they got longer. On occasion, I would be writing something down when one struck me; when that happened, I could write down a word or two before the memory completely disappeared from my mind.
“I was naturally very curious as to what these strange episodes meant. Even so, I think it would have probably taken me another year or two before I decided to actually take the next step and figure out what these visions meant if it hadn’t been for my sister Liliana. She figured out on her own that there was something strange going on, and once she had discovered what it was, she made it her personal mission to find out what significance they had.
“It wasn’t long after we had begun putting effort into studying this when you found us. By this point, you’d managed to get your memories back fully, along with those of Aurora, Nialliv and Samika. You helped me, too – and Ralvon, when we finally found him. The group had finally gotten back together.”
He took another drink of his water. It was thirsty work, telling a tale.

This is more or less what would happen to you if you hadn't been marked with the green serum. But because you were, the Societies will pick you up. They have a serum that restores your memory and increases your age.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 11:19 PM, Shard of Thought said:

"Do you think we will make it?" she whispered. 

Tom nodded as he waved his hands around. "Unless something else unforeseen has happened- which is unlikely..."

He trailed off as a beeping came through from where Samika was. She narrowed her eyes and pulled the culprit- a small, boxy, device- out of her pocket. She looked down at the screen, still holding the key.

Her eyes widened. "Impossible..." she whispered. Then she looked up again, accusingly. "You! You said you had destroyed it!"

10 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Tom nodded as he waved his hands around. "Unless something else unforeseen has happened- which is unlikely..."

He trailed off as a beeping came through from where Samika was. She narrowed her eyes and pulled the culprit- a small, boxy, device- out of her pocket. She looked down at the screen, still holding the key.

Her eyes widened. "Impossible..." she whispered. Then she looked up again, accusingly. "You! You said you had destroyed it!"

Thought looked down and noticed that her hands gripped the edge of her seat tightly, her knuckles white. She took in a shaky breath, trying to calm herself. They would make it.

SepLar stumbled out of an alleyway, head fuzzy. She had no idea what was going on, but it looked to be the aftermath of some kind of fight. She gripped her rifle tightly, scanning the area for any possible enemies.

Any idea what in Harmony's name happened? 

Nope. I was as out of it as you were.

Just now, xinoehp512 said:

Samika became deadly calm. "Oh yes. The memory loss. How convenient." She narrowed her eyes. "Now, where is the Key?"

AJ twitched. All he wanted was to teleport out of the room and destroy the threat, but he knew they were almost out. Still, he had to say something. "Storm off," he growled. "She doesn't know anything."

21 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

AJ twitched. All he wanted was to teleport out of the room and destroy the threat, but he knew they were almost out. Still, he had to say something. "Storm off," he growled. "She doesn't know anything."

"I don't think so," said Samika in a sinister tone. "I know that you have the Key."

16 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

The battle wasn't important. It had been a skirmish between rival gangs, with no clear winner. Most of those still hanging around avoided her. She made her way back to the docks and sat cross-legged on a barrel, waiting.

A breadmunk made its way over to her foot and chirruped.

Edited by xinoehp512

Just now, Shard of Thought said:

AJ scoffed. "What Key?"

---------------------------------

Thought tensed a bit. AJ probably shouldn't be provoking her.

Samika laughed darkly. "Hasn't he told you? The Tombstone Key, of course. The thing that ruined my life."

1 minute ago, Dr. Dapper said:

"I don't have time for this." SepLar groaned.

Well, we have a little time. 

The breadmunk looked up at her with deep soulful eyes and mewed softly.

Just now, xinoehp512 said:

Samika laughed darkly. "Hasn't he told you? The Tombstone Key, of course. The thing that ruined my life."

"Yeah, yeah, that thing. Why would Thought have it? She doesn't understand a word of what you're talking about and neither do I, alright? Can we please get a break for once?"