Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

Spoiler

Name: Jonathon Smedry

Physical Characteristics: Walks with a limp, tall, sandy hair, blue eyes, likes to prank people with minor tinkerings (Shock boxes and stuff, mostly), seemingly permanent smirk, always looks like he knows something you don't. Scars up and down his whole right side.

Investiture: Smedry Talent - Tinkering (He puts stuff together and it does stuff. Not always what he wants, but it always does something, even if the something it does is doing nothing.

Skills: Tinkering - Literally the center of his life, including foraging for things that might be useful to cobble together or repair, Hand-to-hand combat (supra-sekit, jujitsu, judo) [Expert]

Equipment: Tinker's Belt - A belt that gives him whatever tool he asks for. The larger the tool, the larger the cooldown before being able to use it again. When done, you can just slip it back in, and it's there ready and waiting for the next time you need it, even though it doesn't feel like it.

Weakness: Impaired mobility from a broken foot due to a shoe polisher gone awry, PTSD in spades, his Tinkering doesn't always do what he wants, alcoholic.

Family: The entire Smedry clan, though he really wishes they'd learn to be less destructive.

Home Planet: Smedry-earth

Backstory: When Jonathon turned 17, he enlisted with the American army, where he was immediately deployed to a major battle. Realizing that the battlefront was not the place for him after he watched the people around him die to a bomb, he found an unrecognizable corpse and put his dog tags on it, fleeing from the battle into the wilderness. He made his way across all of Europe and Asia, repairing people's things and making new things for them, hitchhiking every time he felt like he had been in the same place too long. Eventually he ended up in the Alleycity after a bender that was his attempt to banish the PTSD-induced flashbacks so he could sleep.

Personality: Stubborn when he wants to be. Likes to make friends, but has issues fully committing to trusting those friends. Jumpy, somewhat paranoid, but always pranks people to try to get them to relax around him. Likes to tell jokes. Attempts to drown his sorrows at every chance. If he doesn't like you, he will try to intimidate you.

Theme Song: Happier - Marshmello

Fighting Style: A mix between the three martial arts he knows and making unstable Tinkerings that explode and do horrible things. How horrible depends on his mindset that day.

Jonathon Smedry version 3.1 is here for official (and unofficial) review!

Edited by Invocation

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

Equipment: Tinker's Belt - A belt that gives him whatever tool he asks for. The larger the tool, the larger the cooldown before being able to use it again. When done, you can just slip it back in, and it's there ready and waiting for the next time you need it, even though it doesn't feel like it.

More plagiarism? Invo? :P

17 minutes ago, Invocation said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Physical Characteristics: Walks with a limp, tall, sandy hair, blue eyes, likes to prank people with minor tinkerings (Shock boxes and stuff, mostly), seemingly permanent smirk, always looks like he knows something you don't. Scars up and down his whole right side.

Investiture: Smedry Talent - Tinkering (He puts stuff together and it does stuff. Not always what he wants, but it always does something, even if the something it does is doing nothing.

Skills: Tinkering - Literally the center of his life, including foraging for things that might be useful to cobble together or repair, Hand-to-hand combat (supra-sekit, jujitsu, judo) [Expert]

Weakness: Impaired mobility from a broken foot due to a shoe polisher gone awry, PTSD in spades, his Tinkering doesn't always do what he wants, alcoholic.

Family: The entire Smedry clan, though he really wishes they'd learn to be less destructive.

Backstory: When Jonathon turned 17, he enlisted with the American army, where he was immediately deployed to a major battle. Realizing that the battlefront was not the place for him after he watched the people around him die to a bomb, he found an unrecognizable corpse and put his dog tags on it, fleeing from the battle into the wilderness. He made his way across all of Europe and Asia, repairing people's things and making new things for them, hitchhiking every time he felt like he had been in the same place too long. Eventually he ended up in the Alleycity after a bender that was his attempt to banish the PTSD-induced flashbacks so he could sleep.

Personality: Stubborn when he wants to be. Likes to make friends, but has issues fully committing to trusting those friends. Jumpy, somewhat paranoid, but always pranks people to try to get them to relax around him. Likes to tell jokes. Attempts to drown his sorrows at every chance. If he doesn't like you, he will try to intimidate you.

Fighting Style: A mix between the three martial arts he knows and making unstable Tinkerings that explode and do horrible things. How horrible depends on his mindset that day.

Jonathon Smedry version 3.1 is here for official (and unofficial) review!

Here we go:

Spoiler

Investiture: Smedry Talent - Tinkering (He puts stuff together and it does stuff. Not always what he wants, but it always does something, even if the something it does is doing nothing. [I haven't read Alcatraz yet so I don't understand what it says in the index. But I would rate this as a +30]

Skills: Tinkering - Literally the center of his life, including foraging for things that might be useful to cobble together or repair [I'll just include it in the talent], Hand-to-hand combat (supra-sekit, jujitsu, judo) [Expert] [+50]

Equipment: Tinker's Belt - A belt that gives him whatever tool he asks for. The larger the tool, the larger the cooldown before being able to use it again. When done, you can just slip it back in, and it's there ready and waiting for the next time you need it, even though it doesn't feel like it. [... I don't know. Is it only tools? Or could he pull a shardblade out? If it's just tools I'd say +20 because a saw is mildly combat useful]

Weakness: Impaired mobility from a broken foot due to a shoe polisher gone awry [-25 compared to other weaknesses I've seen], PTSD in spades [-10], his Tinkering doesn't always do what he wants [included that in the talent], alcoholic. [-5]

30 + 50 + 20 - 25 - 10 - 5 = More than fair most likely. So fair, invocation. Fair far fair.

Specifically, that adds up to 60

@Invocation

Edited by AonBene

3 minutes ago, AonBene said:

[... I don't know. Is it only tools? Or could he pull a shardblade out? If it's just tools I'd say +20 because a saw is mildly combat useful]

If he tried to pull a Shardblade out, it wouldn't work. Saws and hammers are fine, but that's as close to weapons as it gets, and even those drain it a fair bit.

But thank you for the rating.

Edited by Invocation

I would prefer if it were phrased in the same way as a typical Smedry Talent, something that sounds like it's actually bad but then comes in useful in weird ways. (Suggestions: Inability to follow instructions, Assemble the wrong thing, Be Distracted (Basically when someone tries to make him do something he tinkers instead), etc.)

4 minutes ago, Voidus said:

I would prefer if it were phrased in the same way as a typical Smedry Talent, something that sounds like it's actually bad but then comes in useful in weird ways. (Suggestions: Inability to follow instructions, Assemble the wrong thing, Be Distracted (Basically when someone tries to make him do something he tinkers instead), etc.)

Would Compulsive Tinkering satisfy that? Like he tinkers at the expense of everything else.

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Would Compulsive Tinkering satisfy that? Like he tinkers at the expense of everything else.

Not really, existing examples of Talents: Tripping, Breaking things, Being late.
Something that's definitively bad, but can happen at convenient timing or in convenient ways. (Tripping just before you get shot so it misses you for example)

Being absent-minded maybe?

EDIT: Alternatively an Epic power may better suit what you're looking for. Smedry Talents aren't really talents as much as they are incredibly good luck based around a usually unlucky phenomenon. 

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

Wandering fingers? Not paying attention to what he's doing results in unwanted modifications, a result from absent-mindedness and distractibility?

Not paying attention definitely works.

Jonathon Smedry v. 3.2. The only thing changed really is his Talent.

Spoiler

Investiture: Smedry Talent - Distractability - When making things, if he doesn't pay attention, unwanted effects will appear, and they're not always good. 

11 minutes ago, Sorana said:

I have a question regarding PCs and NPCs. I mean I know the difference, but I might need an NPC, who I would prefer to not be controlled by somebody else. Is it better to set her as a full character, who I rarely use?

If you've got enough character slots left, sure, make them a PC. Otherwise, when using them just politely request of others to discuss what they do with the character with you first?

1 minute ago, kenod said:

If you've got enough character slots left, sure, make them a PC. Otherwise, when using them just politely request of others to discuss what they do with the character with you first?

I have the slots, and I have her planned out, as she appeared since era 2, but I don't want to shove more work to our mods for a character, I don't plan to rp regularly. Alright, thanks. I guess I'll play it safe.

I know I already have five characters, i'm just posting this because I'm going to character develop this guy, as an NPC, and then probably demote Thel, to hen make this guy a primary character of mine. Unless that is, I decide I don't like rping with him, or someone pichtes me an adoption request with a plan that I like, from someone I trust to do this guy justice.

Spoiler

Kevin James

Investiture: None

Build: He is of average build, though is very muscular.

Skills: He is an expert marksman, very good with hand to hand fighting, and very good with small melee weapons.

Gear: He has the basic Special Incursion loadout, but has a large bowie knife strapped over his shoulder in a sheath. 

Personality: He is a loyal soldier, who is kind, believes in the Precursors goals, with a strong belief in justice for all those who deserve it, though has problems with non-lethal action.

Weakness: Besides having absolutely no Investiture, he also has deep trauma from [INCOMPLETE] which cause him to question whether or not he should stay with the Precursor, and cause him to question his actions.

Backstory: He joined the Precursors almost immediately on Alleyplanet, when they were founded, and quickly rose through the ranks, being offered a choice between sniper, riot, and chaser positions in his regiment, chose the prior, and was then chosen for the second Special Incursion regiment when they were founded. He then participated in [INCOMPLETE] which gave him deep doubts about his purpose, and brings him to his position now.

Guild Affiliation: Precursors, for now.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Adoption requests?

Reposting this because everyone ignored it.