Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

24 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Assuming a character owned a atiummind keyed to to a dead person (and therefore completely unusable for any of atium's interesting uses to my knowledge), would it still cost point?

Yeah this is still point-worthy, I believe even without anything it's still possible to burn allomantically for usual atium effects, also it'd be valuable as heck and could even be used as a spike with a small number of precautions. Failing all else it would be possible for Leechers, Larkins, etc. to potentially remove the existing Investiture.

25 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I'm not sure you can burn spikes taken from other people, same issue as with trying to burn someone else's metalmind.

Been a couple contradicting answers on this from Brandon, I believe that currently the most recent was that it is possible but painful.

17 hours ago, Voidus said:

Yeah this is still point-worthy, I believe even without anything it's still possible to burn allomantically for usual atium effects, also it'd be valuable as heck and could even be used as a spike with a small number of precautions.

Really? I had understood you could not burn a metalmind for the normal effect because the reason Compounding works is that you're asking Preservation to send power to fuel Allomancy but the power find an abnormal key so you get an abnormal power, and you can't stop the metalmind from being an abnormal key (unless it's your metalmind)

Failing all else it would be possible for Leechers, Larkins, etc. to potentially remove the existing Investiture.

Well, guess I'll just say her father's atiummind are in an undisclosed safe location and call it a day then

Edited by mathiau

4 hours ago, mathiau said:

Really? I had understood you could not burn a metalmind for the normal effect because the reason Compounding works is that you're asking Preservation to send power to fuel Allomancy but the power find an abnormal key so you get an abnormal power, and you can't stop the metalmind from being an abnormal key (unless it's your metalmind)

In era one mistborn vin tried to burn sazed's metalmind and iirc she gets the normal effect, because she mentions another well of power that was inaccessible besides the normal one for the metal. 

11 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

In era one mistborn vin tried to burn sazed's metalmind and iirc she gets the normal effect, because she mentions another well of power that was inaccessible besides the normal one for the metal. 

Well, I had forgotten that line. Thanks :)

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

Oh, my bad :P I saw the intangibility and I thought that was part of it too. I might as well try and make Voidus' job easier.

Here's a (tentative) scoring.

Duralumin Allomancy: 5

Average Melee Weapon Skills: 35

First Ideal Radiant: This is technically 85, but since her ability to use Transportation is extremely limited, I'm leaning to somewhere around 65?

Ametrine Blade: Shardblades are 30, so I'm thinking this should be around 20? 23?

Hot Headed + Superiority Complex: -5

5 + 35 + 65 + 23 - 5 = 123

Even by scoring the Radiancy at its maximum (85), that still makes it 143, which is within the limit. Do we still follow the rule where only 100 can be used for magic, and the other 50 have to be skills? I'm unsure. Again, this is just tentative. Hope it helps :)

We're currently using 30 points reserved for non fighting ability and 120 points for  anything. Talking about non-fighting abilities, shouldn't the stone-carving be worth points? I had assumed 25 for handiwork

5 minutes ago, Emery the Windrunner said:

@mathiau

What if your ametrine shard blade was the  product of a spren corrupted by Sja-Anat rather than caused by epic powers?

Because that'd be making a lot of assumption about Enlightenment and because I like the idea of her having one power from each of her origins

Edited by mathiau

2 hours ago, Emery the Windrunner said:

@mathiau

Ok, sorry for making that assumption. I didn’t realize that you wanted an ability from each of those places.

Honestly it's more that "I realised I might be able to do it so I tried" than "I wanted her to have an ability from each places".

I know I'll probably have to abandon that idea anyway if Voidus is any less generous than Think, if your idea had given a diminution of the score I would have considered it

14 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Honestly it's more that "I realised I might be able to do it so I tried" than "I wanted her to have an ability from each places".

I know I'll probably have to abandon that idea anyway if Voidus is any less generous than Think, if your idea had given a diminution of the score I would have considered it

Apologies for my lack of generosity :P

Yeah they're a bit over.

Just now, Voidus said:

Apologies for my lack of generosity :P

Yeah they're a bit over.

Yeah, I didn't expect the blade would cost that much

5 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Couple of things I would add are points for the power synergy from Duralumin, the only reason Duralumin is usually so low is that it's meaningless by itself. So I would add an extra 40 for the intangibility (Usually one of the highest rated Prime Invincibilities but since it's a one and done it's getting a significant downgrade). I'd also put the blade at a 25 because non-rounded numbers hurt my brain. Then lastly 25 points for the stonemasonry.

That being said this would put us at 190 which is over the cap. Big one I would say is to potentially just remove the pseudo shardbladed, if you play them over multiple eras they might be able to advance oaths and eye weirdness can be picked up any number of ways for example from Radiancy.

@mathiau

But if I do that she's still at 165, right?

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, mathiau said:

On the topic of joke OP characters, I was thinking of creating some kind of Spirit of the Noodles (imagine someone from the Cosmere's organisation whose aim to to create noodle join the DA and went ham). The idea would be that he'd have a noodle shop where he spends most of his time but everyone could call him from approximately anywhere (including the safe-ish alleys if possible) for quick noodle delivery. Would that be possible?

Also, shouldn't we be having this conversation on the other thread?

6 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

hm, what if the noodle thing was its own guild. I would be down on making a character for that.

Just now, MacThorstenson said:

Yes lets transition to other thread.

I do think we want to avoid creating joke OP characters too much, I don't know if he has to be particularly OP though, so long as he doesn't fight people and the such and is literally a noodle chef it would probably work

Yes please, actual discussions and loose pitches should be in this thread ideally. Reposting these here for conversation flow.

The main reason I thought the eldrich noodle chi ef would be OP was that I wanted him to have an aura preventing people from questioning the fact there's a four harmed monster teleporting around the Alleyverse and selling noodles and that I'd them to be able to defend their shop in case someone want to do a repeat of the Bleeding Spike. But I guess the former can be solved by wanting for Era 6 and the latter by created a few guard NPCs

• 4 weeks later...

Hey- this is my first Alleyverse character so... this is probably going to be a bit skewed. Any thoughts?

1st Ideal Radiant: 90 points

Mastermind: 65 points

Assassination: Skilled, 60 points

Scholarship: Expert, 40 points.

Flaws: Holds grudges (-5), has a superiority complex (-5), has an extreme case of scriptophobia (-10), is greedy (-5), vain (-5), doesn't care about killing (-5), is bigoted against all other thieves/assassins (-10), very judgemental (-5), paranoid (-5), is neat and hates messiness to a fault (-5), very sarcastic and rude, no respect (-5), insomnia, somniphobia, and oneirophobia (this is due to her having nightmares of her parents dying, the fact that whenever she fell asleep working for the lighteyes she was beat, etc. -30), and phobophobia (-10 [I chose 10 because of her many phobias, and the fact that she can't deal with the fact she has these fears because she fears the fact she has those fears.])

Edit: I needed to add a couple things.

Edited by SymphonianBookworm

1 hour ago, SymphonianBookworm said:

Hey- this is my first Alleyverse character so... this is probably going to be a bit skewed. Any thoughts?

Flaws: Holds grudges (-5), has a superiority complex (-5), has an extreme case of scriptophobia (-10), is greedy (-5), vain (-5), doesn't care about killing (-5), is bigoted against all other thieves/assassins (-10), very judgemental (-5), paranoid (-5), is neat and hates messiness to a fault (-5), very sarcastic and rude, no respect (-5).

If you are correct on the weakness scoring, you should have 30 points to play with if you want. If you are incorrect about the weakness/flaws scoring, you still have a decent chance of being easily within the required limit.

10 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

If you are correct on the weakness scoring, you should have 30 points to play with if you want. If you are incorrect about the weakness/flaws scoring, you still have a decent chance of being easily within the required limit.

Okay, thanks! I'll add my character's backstory here:

Her Name: Sarian (pronunced Sar-ee-on) Voldin

Her Backstory: She was poor. Her father and mother were renowned historians, but after a scandal---since her father was a darkeyes---her parents had to leave everything behind. One of her eyes is violet while the other is brown, but she has a permanent lightweaving illusion around her brown eye to make it look purple. After their fall from power, her parents---her father a darkeyes of 6th dahn, and her mother a middle-class lighteyes---not used to not being able to rely on anyone, had their health slowly dwindle. When she was still a child, her family was found by a group of lighteyed thieves who took them over to a lighteyed estate and received a good deal of money for it. Her and her family were put in jail and beat beyond recognition. Her mother slowly went insane, and was killed. Her father, only kept around because of his intelligence, began teaching her everything he knew, and soon she surpassed him. Her father, overcome with grief, finally died too. Then she was left, and was going to die when a Cryptic came and bonded her. She developed scritophobia because the only reason she was kept alive was because of how she wrote. Her intelligence led her to becoming more important to the lighteyes who had taken them into custody then her parents had been to him, and she was forced to write essays, forge documents, write tax reports, etc. She never got over the fact that her talent for words led to her and her family being hurt. She never wanted to write for anyone else again, and developed the fear of writing in public, because someone could steal her words. Her words had been the only thing she had ever owned, and that had been taken away from her, something she didn't want to happen again. When she finally escaped, she swore she would murder the lighteyes who had hurt her family, and developed a hatred for thieves and villains, because they had been the ones to turn her family over to the lighteyes. She became one of them---an assassin and a mastermind---to hunt down other assassins. Of course, she'll do any job if you pay her enough for it. She learned 5 things from her expirience.

1. People---more specifically, thieves---will do anything for money.

2. No matter what, you have to make yourself useful. If not, you die.

3. Everyone else is weak-minded. Their minds will buckle under pressure. You're better than them.

4. You can't care about anyone else. Everyone just wants to hurt you.

5. Death is an everyday thing. In fact, it's an escape.

9 minutes ago, SymphonianBookworm said:

Her Backstory: She was poor. Her father and mother were renowned historians, but after a scandal---since her father was a darkeyes---her parents had to leave everything behind. One of her eyes is violet while the other is brown, but she has a permanent lightweaving illusion around her brown eye to make it look purple. After their fall from power, her parents---her father a darkeyes of 6th dahn, and her mother a middle-class lighteyes---not used to not being able to rely on anyone, had their health slowly dwindle. When she was still a child, her family was found by a group of lighteyed thieves who took them over to a lighteyed estate and received a good deal of money for it. Her and her family were put in jail and beat beyond recognition. Her mother slowly went insane, and was killed. Her father, only kept around because of his intelligence, began teaching her everything he knew, and soon she surpassed him. Her father, overcome with grief, finally died too. Then she was left, and was going to die when a Cryptic came and bonded her. She developed scritophobia because the only reason she was kept alive was because of how she wrote. Her intelligence led her to becoming more important to the lighteyes who had taken them into custody then her parents had been to him, and she was forced to write essays, forge documents, write tax reports, etc. She never got over the fact that her talent for words led to her and her family being hurt. She never wanted to write for anyone else again, and developed the fear of writing in public, because someone could steal her words. Her words had been the only thing she had ever owned, and that had been taken away from her, something she didn't want to happen again. When she finally escaped, she swore she would murder the lighteyes who had hurt her family, and developed a hatred for thieves and villains, because they had been the ones to turn her family over to the lighteyes. She became one of them---an assassin and a mastermind---to hunt down other assassins. Of course, she'll do any job if you pay her enough for it. She learned 5 things from her expirience.

3. Everyone else is weak-minded. Their minds will buckle under pressure. You're better than them.

Read it in the Character thread. I'm no mod, and do not know how to rate stuff, being relatively new here. You might want to clarify how the flaws will affect your character and their interaction with others, that will help the mods rate it.

4 hours ago, SymphonianBookworm said:

Scholarship: Expert, 40 points.

Flaws: Holds grudges (-5), has a superiority complex (-5), has an extreme case of scriptophobia (-10), is greedy (-5), vain (-5), doesn't care about killing (-5), is bigoted against all other thieves/assassins (-10), very judgemental (-5), paranoid (-5), is neat and hates messiness to a fault (-5), very sarcastic and rude, no respect (-5), insomnia, somniphobia, and oneirophobia (this is due to her having nightmares of her parents dying, the fact that whenever she fell asleep working for the lighteyes she was beat, etc. -30), and phobophobia (-10 [I chose 10 because of her many phobias, and the fact that she can't deal with the fact she has these fears because she fears the fact she has those fears.])

Edit: I needed to add a couple things.

Hi, welcome to the AV.

So big problem here is that we very rarely take this many points off for weaknesses and some of these are things we wouldn't take any off for. Doesn't care about killing for instance is arguably a benefit in an RP and also describes half the AV, as does holding a grudge. We typically only give weaknesses points if they are obvious and/or exploitable or otherwise likely to regularly hinder a character.

So I would probably put at the following:
Multiple fears: 30
Lack of social skills: 5
Superiority complex: 5

But that still leaves you 65 points over so may need to revise some of the skills before we can get this one approved.

11 hours ago, SymphonianBookworm said:

I recind my previous statement, I missed the scholarship thing. I suggestreducing smart level, and probably the assasination level.

On 5/25/2022 at 10:38 PM, Voidus said:

But that still leaves you 65 points over so may need to revise some of the skills before we can get this one approved.

Okay. How does this sound:

Assassination: Average, 40 points

Flaws:

Multiple fears: 30
          Lack of social skills: 5
          Superiority complex: 5

(Huh. The multiple fears could have gotten me a Shardblade.)

Do I need to delete some more things, or can I go five points over?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 8:29 PM, Voidus said:

5 points over is fine, will add Sarian to the list.

Okay, thank you!

I was wondering where I would begin to start roleyplaying (which thread). 

Also, does intelligence just count for generally... well, intelligence?

6 minutes ago, SymphonianBookworm said:

The Boarding House thread is a nice all purpose place to start, there are some other people there as well so you could make in-character introductions and possibly find a plot line you’d like to follow

24 minutes ago, SymphonianBookworm said:

Okay, thank you!

Also, does intelligence just count for generally... well, intelligence?

If you have no specified intelligence, your character is of average intelligence.

also, if your character needs any sort of tech, you might try Technotic's shop.

Edited by EmulatonStromenkiin

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Tacitus said:

So. I've looked in the Index, and there is no section in skills that defines clownishness (who'da guessed). Like, circus skills. My best guess would be somewhere in between 'intelligence' and 'handiwork'.

So what I'm saying is, in theory, how close to ascending to the shard of Circus could one get, assuming one puts every single point into said clownosity, becoming as good as possible at as many things as possible?

You know, just in theory.

I'm honestly curious.

Hello! This is the place to discuss character ideas. I would say that you might actually consider acrobatics skill as well for a circus performer. As far as ascending to a Shard… I don’t think that’s really possible these days. We’ve about topped out on demigods. 

On 09/07/2022 at 0:18 AM, Tacitus said:

So. I've looked in the Index, and there is no section in skills that defines clownishness (who'da guessed). Like, circus skills. My best guess would be somewhere in between 'intelligence' and 'handiwork'.

So what I'm saying is, in theory, how close to ascending to the shard of Circus could one get, assuming one puts every single point into said clownosity, becoming as good as possible at as many things as possible?

You know, just in theory.

I'm honestly curious.

Well there's no shard of Circus, but 80 points would typically be considered peak physical fitness and highest levels of possible profiency in a particular trade. Which would make someone as good as a person can be at that trade without magical assistance. But yeah as ZInc said we don't really mess with Shardic level characters these days. Additionally since this tends to nowadays be a pretty serious RP with very real issues that get explored I would be hesitant to approve such a character since they'd very likely turn into a kind of joke character / just introduce zany whacky antics everywhere they go, which can really undercut other people's stories.