Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

45 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

So here's the idea, he was spiked to have feruchemical copper, so he unconsciously stores his memory every night, making him essentially has constant amnesia.

This is likely the drawback a copper Compounding Savant would have so you could say he used to have an A-copper spike to justify it.

1 minute ago, mathiau said:

This is likely the drawback a copper Compounding Savant would have so you could say he used to have an A-copper spike to justify it.

I wouldn't call him a savant, just an amnesiac. The zinc is there to counteract it because in only a minute or so he's like, well, gotta get on with my life. How would an old A-Copper spike justify it?

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

I wouldn't call him a savant, just an amnesiac. The zinc is there to counteract it because in only a minute or so he's like, well, gotta get on with my life. How would an old A-Copper spike justify it?

If you Compound enough of a metal you become a Savant, once you're a Savant you have to continue Compounding or face drawbacks, the most logical drawback for C-Copper is memory lost so I'm suggesting to make your character a C-Copper Savant that can no longer Compound

Just now, mathiau said:

If you Compound enough of a metal you become a Savant, once you're a Savant you have to continue Compounding or face drawbacks, the most logical drawback for C-Copper is memory lost so I'm suggesting to make your character a C-Copper Savant that can no longer Compound

He's only storing a day's worth of memories every day, I don't think he'd be savant.

2 hours ago, AonEne said:

I think what Mat is suggesting is that that option is slightly simpler in terms of mechanics, and that it would be an easier thing for you to RP? 

It would likely be easier, but I like the idea of resetting every morning. I think savantism would be more like Alzheimer's. 

On 02/03/2021 at 0:54 AM, The Unknown Order said:

It would likely be easier, but I like the idea of resetting every morning. I think savantism would be more like Alzheimer's. 

I had misunderstood what you wanted to do, you're right Savantism wouldn't work for what you want to do

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, Voidus said:

You'll probably need to share the private one with one of the subforum's mods to ensure there aren't any issues but that should be okay.

I was wondering, could I get my character rated? It's on the character submission thread.

Edited by The Unknown Order

2 minutes ago, Gneorndin said:

I was going to.

But can I have an answer?

I'm not a Mod but

Allomancy

• Misting: Aluminum, Duralumin, +5
    Level One: Brass, Bronze, Cadmium, Chromium, Copper, Gold, Malatium, Nicrosil, Tin, Zinc (+30)
    Level Two: Bendalloy, Electrum, Iron, Steel, Pewter (+40)
    Level Three: Atium (+50

Larkin have a bit more range than Leechers so probably 30-35 points

But as I said, I'm not a Mod.

So uh, my fellow mods, how's it going? Just have a couple of character questions if y'all got the time. 

1. For the Elantrian part of the index, if someone is a level 10 Elantrian what would that constitute do y'all think? I'm planning on reviving an old character, Mack, and he's an elantrian. Would a level 10 be an example of someone who knows perfectly how to use and combine all the Aon's in programs? Would it also include a little bit of Aon combat and basic magitech/handicraft skills (like engraving aons on plates or building machines that use aons to work)? Or would I need to put extra points into combat/inteligence/handiwork etc?

2. I think this is the third time I've asked the question over the years, but how many points would you take off for an elantrian who is unable to draw Aons underpressure, ie combat and other situations with an imminent threat? They could use premade devices but wouldn't be able to creatively come up with new equations to suit their needs?

@Voidus @AonEne

Hey Mac! How are things going?

Being an Elantrian carries the implication of some ability to use AonDor in the standard ways for combat/creation I'd say, like any super detailed handiwork that is sort of independent of the Dor would need its own skills but in terms of just like drawing Aons onto surfaces yeah that'd be included.

2. I think we'd probably need to adjust the Elantrian rankings before we could judge how much to take off here. I'm gonna take a look around cause I thought we'd upgraded the Elantrian section at some point.

4 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Hey Mac! How are things going?

Being an Elantrian carries the implication of some ability to use AonDor in the standard ways for combat/creation I'd say, like any super detailed handiwork that is sort of independent of the Dor would need its own skills but in terms of just like drawing Aons onto surfaces yeah that'd be included.

2. I think we'd probably need to adjust the Elantrian rankings before we could judge how much to take off here. I'm gonna take a look around cause I thought we'd upgraded the Elantrian section at some point.

Pretty nice I’d say, how are things going with you?

Fantastic, so I’ll assume some basic skills of like embroidery/engraving just to be able to put Aons on things like cloaks or wands/staffs etc. 

Fantastic as well, and I can help you take a look at re-evaluating that if needed. 

• 3 months later...

How many points would the following Nightwatcher boon and curse be for a character?

The character is a Dysian Aimian. The boon is that there is no longer a limit on how many hordelings he can have. He is only limited by how many he can feed. When he has too many hordelings for one mind to control, he creates new “minds” out of specialized brain hordelings. The new minds are not self aware, they can only control hordelings with only general commands from the character’s true mind. General commands such as, “gather food” or “explore this area.” When an unexpected event happens, the subservient minds will have extreme trouble adapting until the master mind has time to give a new command. The hordelings that make up the master mind are always hidden so it doesn’t get damaged.

The curse is that the hordelings can no longer communicate instantly across large distances. Commands from the master mind to subservient minds must be given by hordelings buzzing. The subservient minds can only commands individual hordelings by buzzing. I can have long chains of hordelings buzzing at each other in order to pass messages along, but that takes time. Subservient minds have to choose between being close to their hordelings, and having quicker communications; or being farther away and therefore a much less likely target for enemies.

Other characters, when encountering this character’s hordelings, can follow the buzzing sounds all the way back to subservient minds or the master mind, but this character can always sacrifice hordelings by cutting them off from communication.

edit: @Voidus

Edited by Truthwatcher Artifabrian

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2021 at 8:09 AM, Truthwatcher Artifabrian said:

How many points would the following Nightwatcher boon and curse be for a character?

The character is a Dysian Aimian. The boon is that there is no longer a limit on how many hordelings he can have. He is only limited by how many he can feed. When he has too many hordelings for one mind to control, he creates new “minds” out of specialized brain hordelings. The new minds are not self aware, they can only control hordelings with only general commands from the character’s true mind. General commands such as, “gather food” or “explore this area.” When an unexpected event happens, the subservient minds will have extreme trouble adapting until the master mind has time to give a new command. The hordelings that make up the master mind are always hidden so it doesn’t get damaged.

The curse is that the hordelings can no longer communicate instantly across large distances. Commands from the master mind to subservient minds must be given by hordelings buzzing. The subservient minds can only commands individual hordelings by buzzing. I can have long chains of hordelings buzzing at each other in order to pass messages along, but that takes time. Subservient minds have to choose between being close to their hordelings, and having quicker communications; or being farther away and therefore a much less likely target for enemies.

Other characters, when encountering this character’s hordelings, can follow the buzzing sounds all the way back to subservient minds or the master mind, but this character can always sacrifice hordelings by cutting them off from communication.

edit: @Voidus

Sorry, been a minute since I've checked here we usually use the other thread for the character and this one just if extended discussion is needed so I don't check it as much. That's a pretty big one, especially since it effectively grants invincibility. I'd probably put it at +50/-10 

23 hours ago, Voidus said:

Sorry, been a minute since I've checked here we usually use the other thread for the character and this one just if extended discussion is needed so I don't check it as much. That's a pretty big one, especially since it effectively grants invincibility. I'd probably put it at +50/-10 

Thanks. Just wanted to get these checked so I could balance the rest of the character. I’ll use the other thread in the future.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, SzethTheHonorblade said:

So I am brand new and I am wondering what items can you start with, and like in general what skills.

Also can I use noncosmere magic systems?

This post has all the magic systems, items, etc.that are possible and approximate point costs for them along with explanations for the points.