Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

5 minutes ago, Danex said:

Lol, well what’s the most OP character that has a real number. Or say, a range. Like, has any normally-OP character been as high as 2300?

Most characters who were really OP were in an era where we didn't really do scoring. I don't think we've done anyone over 1000 since scoring started.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Somebody from Scadrial

Hey can I get a point total for this character?:

Name: Garrot Galway

Physical Characteristics: male, short but strongly built with darkish skin

Investiture: Forger, HA(what is hemalurgys term?) Steel HF Copper only a few minutes decay for each one

Skills: Forging, Axe Fighting, passable swordsman barely he's much better with a rapier than a arming sword

Equipment: patchwork backpack with something in it, poleaxe, 

Weakness: is horrified by the concept of nothing non-existence dark and black things to the point where he won't go near them and he gets panic attacks when by himself

Family: his mother died when he was young and his father has always been out of the picture he was raised by his uncle who taught him forging 

Home Planet: Sel

Backstory: he was raised by his uncle who also taught him forging eventually he world hopped to Scadrial where he learned hemalurgy and got his hemalurgic spikes and became a one of Harmony's agents he stayed there for a while but eventually he left for the alleyverse

Guild (can be unaffiliated): formerly Harmony's agents now unaffiliated

Psyche (can be combined with personality if neccessary): is horrified by the concept of nothing non-existence dark and black things to the point where he won't go near them and he gets panic attacks when he is by himself which is why he so strongly believes in a afterlife

Personality: strongly believes that there is a afterlife though he does not believe in any one religion he has a secret goal that only he knows and refuses to share with anyone

Appearance[The artistically inclined are welcome to include an illustration of their character.]

Theme Song (optional): various laughing on his part and screaming on other people's parts

Fighting Style: axe Fighting but at times he uses his axe like a spear and when he does he fights much better

Edited by Somebody from Roshar
Added character fixed grammar and added detail

20 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Investiture: Forger, HA(what is hemalurgys term?) Steel HF Copper only a few minutes decay for each one

Normally we just say A-Steel Spike or F-Copper Spike.

It looks good, but the character ratings go in the other thread. And I’m not quite qualified to judge it.

Welcome to the Alleyverse! I’d advise you against eating any offered cookies but it looks like you’ve already encountered some spikes...

2 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

Would being a truthless take off points, if so how many?

Theoretically yes, I can’t say how many exactly - it’d depend on the context of the character. 

1 hour ago, Somebody from Sel said:

How exactly do you get a character approved?

By submitting a character who’s at or under the point limit and having a mod give you the thumbs up. Sorry for the delay, I’m getting back to your character now! 

17 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

So if my character is strictly bound by rules.

I am just not sure what a lot of points are and whatnot. (first character)

Most of the weakness points stuff is just decided by the mods when they judge; we have a few policies, but it really depends on the context of each character. If someone else has the Oathstone, then that'd take a fair bit away, since they'd be essentially controlled by another character. You'd have to work some stuff out with that person. If the character controlling them is your own, then that's not gonna take many points away. If you plan to have them break out of being Truthless eventually like Szeth did, then that weakness would stop counting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I just had a quick question, hopefully this is the right place for it. So I've only read The Stormlight Archive and not the other Cosmere books, I'm hoping to start them soon but it might take me a while... Would it be best to make a character and join the RP after I read all the books (I'd be totally fine to wait), or would I be fine to start now without an understanding of the entire Cosmere? I've been reading the new players guide and from what I understand, there are separate guilds that you join, is that correct? Thank you so much! 

22 minutes ago, Mallory said:

Hey! I just had a quick question, hopefully this is the right place for it. So I've only read The Stormlight Archive and not the other Cosmere books, I'm hoping to start them soon but it might take me a while... Would it be best to make a character and join the RP after I read all the books (I'd be totally fine to wait), or would I be fine to start now without an understanding of the entire Cosmere? I've been reading the new players guide and from what I understand, there are separate guilds that you join, is that correct? Thank you so much! 

You can join without knowing them all just gotta be willing to see some minor spoilers and that goes for the entire shard

7 hours ago, Mallory said:

Okay, that makes sense! Well I might wait a little bit and get some more knowledge on the other worlds before I jump in. Thank you. 

I came in having only read stormlight and mistborn you'll be fine

On 10/14/2020 at 9:39 AM, Mallory said:

Hi! The above advice is correct, you might get spoiled on some magic systems or worldbuilding but otherwise you’ll probably be fine. Either way works. 

As a side note, the guilds are optional - you can join them if you want (and I’d personally recommend it, I think they’re fun), but you don’t need to if you don’t want to or if you don’t think your character would join any. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2020 at 0:17 AM, Lotus said:

Uh how OP would a character be considered as who is a returned who dies a lot and just keeps returning?

I'm no more mod than @Ookla Fell From The Sky but I'd assume it depends on whether you get a time when you cannot do anything or if not. Otherwise the Index gives that an epic with only immortality and no weakness cost 45 points but gold ferring is 50 points so I guess... @Voidus?

6 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

3. There is a reason I didn't put her oaths in there.... and that is because of spoilers.

I guess you could PM the mod that will take care of rating your character with her oaths and still get the points.

1 minute ago, Ookla Fell From The Sky said:

Well... after verifying that that mod has read RoW.

Not really needed, we sometime have characters swear oath from order of which we don't know the oaths and this isn't much different

• 1 month later...

Continuing the convo here:

On 1/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, Random Bystander said:

She studied human phycology. I am going to add pogonophobia (the fear of beards) to her weaknesses.

Psychology or physiology? Or "the branch of botany concerned with seaweeds and other algae"? :P 

How debilitating is the fear? What does she do when she sees a beard? How does she go into public areas?

On 1/17/2021 at 5:49 AM, mathiau said:

But then again good at manipulation would probably not be a +20 since we're only gonna look at how @Random Bystander rp to chose if it work or not regardless of her character's ability

Mm, that's true, since she can't godmod other characters it'll really be up to them, so that would be more like +10 (having other people take it into account that she is skilled in that area, and if they're gullible to manipulation they should let themselves be taken in).

2 hours ago, AonEne said:

Continuing the convo here:

Psychology or physiology? Or "the branch of botany concerned with seaweeds and other algae"? :P 

How debilitating is the fear? What does she do when she sees a beard? How does she go into public areas?

Mm, that's true, since she can't godmod other characters it'll really be up to them, so that would be more like +10 (having other people take it into account that she is skilled in that area, and if they're gullible to manipulation they should let themselves be taken in).

Psychology. She can normally tell what people feel by their behavior, body language, words, the tone of their voice, etc. She can also regulate those to make people see what she wants them to see. That is part of what makes her good at manipulating people. 

So, she probably needs a reason to be scares of people with beards, so her mother was shot by a person with a beard. It makes sense for her to associate the two, I mean she was 7. She can go out into a crowd, and normally has her fear under control. However, if she is under a lot of stress, it comes out fully. She also has a very hard time trusting anyone with a beard, and it is harder to think if she is having a conversation with someone who has a beard.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, AonEne said:

Go for it! 

Cool, here it is.

So here's the idea, he was spiked to have feruchemical copper, so he unconsciously stores his memory every night, making him essentially has constant amnesia. He would also be a zinc compounder because without zinc he would be constantly wondering where he was and what was going on, so he taps zinc in the morning to think faster.